X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    You see, I ask myself all the time if, were it not for the inestimable edicative role Radio 3 performed for me during my formative years, I would have had the spadework preparation that gave me the wider picture to draw from in my lifelong investigation of musicm, and build my precious archive of recordings. And I worry about the cultural thinness of the gruel that now stands for "freedom of choice" in determining not just general public tastes and interests but the bedrock from which music has to move forward if it is not merely to stagnate.
    Absolutely spot on - there is an incomplete spectrum displayed by the music mainstream daytime media from which choices can be made. Noisy pop music from the last forty years dominates everything else. Our generation has been truly musically blessed.

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Thanks S_A you are right in your assumption, I was agreeing with you Andy not attacking.
      I didn't consider it an "attack", but was unnecessarily suspicious of the 'So' as being 'So, are you saying that we should just put up with all this rubbish … etc'

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
        I didn't consider it an "attack", but was unnecessarily suspicious of the 'So' as being 'So, are you saying that we should just put up with all this rubbish … etc'
        The use of "so" when introducing something one wants to say, should be superfluous, in my view, unless the person using it means "therefore...".

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          The use of "so" when introducing something one wants to say, should be superfluous, in my view, unless the person using it means "therefore...".
          I think that use of "so" can soften the challenge of the direct question a little, keeping communication a little friendlier...

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            I think that use of "so" can soften the challenge of the direct question a little, keeping communication a little friendlier...
            'So' seems to have taken over from 'well' as a sentence starter with no particular meaning and is a marker of either a younger generation or oldies who consciously or unconsciously are quick to take up the neologisms of younger generations.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Surely 'so' is just a not very subtle way of giving somebody a tad more time to refine - or come up with - an answer. It's replaced 'I'm glad you asked me that ....'

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Surely 'so' is just a not very subtle way of giving somebody a tad more time to refine - or come up with - an answer. It's replaced 'I'm glad you asked me that ....'
                As in Lorenz Hart’s song title ‘It never entered my mind’, I didn’t realise that two letters could cause such a stir, maybe I should just have started as I sometimes do with replies ‘...’

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
                  'So' seems to have taken over from 'well' as a sentence starter with no particular meaning and is a marker of either a younger generation or oldies who consciously or unconsciously are quick to take up the neologisms of younger generations.
                  I’m sure Simon Rattle started the trend.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    What I really dislike is the written Sooooooo - surely that is either Sooty’s friend or taking legal action against someone!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      So it seems it was that Chaucer.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        That could be where Seamus Heaney got the inspiration when translating Beowulf.(opening word)

Comment

Working...
                        X