Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy Freude

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post
    You see, I never buy the argument ... 'well, the audience isn't there for that kind of thing, anymore'.
    Yes, I wasn't suggesting that. Wasn't the original idea of the Proms to "create an audience" for the music? - which they did. By music whose audiences were 'set to diminish', I meant unless Something was Done. If (if) GAS is thought of as being music 'for older audiences', well, we're all getting older. We should be just ripening nicely for it.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
      Yes, I wasn't suggesting that. Wasn't the original idea of the Proms to "create an audience" for the music? - which they did. By music whose audiences were 'set to diminish', I meant unless Something was Done. If (if) GAS is thought of as being music 'for older audiences', well, we're all getting older. We should be just ripening nicely for it.
      So we oldies just have to grin and put up with the appalling music provision the Beeb sees fit to give us for the last few years of our lives, whilst we wait for the younger audience to continue to reject what is been engineered for them - sorry but that is not acceptable!

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

Reminds me of the cricket authorities. Almost hysterically searching a new, younger audience. Example - "Why do only old people go to 4 day cricket?" they ask. Heard this one for 20 years. It's played in the daytime in the week when retired people can attend seems the obvious answer.

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          So we oldies just have to grin and put up with the appalling music provision the Beeb sees fit to give us for the last few years of our lives, whilst we wait for the younger audience to continue to reject what is been engineered for them - sorry but that is not acceptable!
          I'm a bit puzzled by the "So" at the beginning of the sentence. It suggests your comment was a rejecction of what I had said. I said nothing about the BBC (still less Radio 3) and what they broadcast; and you seem to be suggesting (unless I misundertand) that the type of music of which the first poster was expressing an appreciation is in an absolute sense "appalling".

What I think "we oldies" (meaning you and others) should get is the music you appreciate and want to hear, presented in the manner in which you wish it to be presented. I trust that is clearer, and acceptable to you.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I'm a bit puzzled by the "So" at the beginning of the sentence. It suggests your comment was a rejecction of what I had said. I said nothing about the BBC (still less Radio 3) and what they broadcast; and you seem to be suggesting (unless I misundertand) that the type of music of which the first poster was expressing an appreciation is in an absolute sense "appalling".

What I think "we oldies" (meaning you and others) should get is the music you appreciate and want to hear, presented in the manner in which you wish it to be presented. I trust that is clearer, and acceptable to you.
            To be fair to cloughie, I don't think his reply to your previous message was meant as an attack on it, just conclusions equally drawable from the deductions you were making?

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              To be fair to cloughie, I don't think his reply to your previous message was meant as an attack on it, just conclusions equally drawable from the deductions you were making?
              The clouds of unknowing and puzzlement are lifted! Thank you.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

The clouds of unknowing and puzzlement are lifted! Thank you.
                You're more than welcome!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Just can't stop being a serial apologist for someone else!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    Just can't stop being a serial apologist for someone else!
                    Message to myself: "Write down 'I must stop apologising on behalf of other people' in 12 notes!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

I must stop apologising on behalf of other people
                      People other of behalf on apologising stop must I
                      Other people on behalf of, stop I must
                      Must I stop of behalf on people other.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        People other of behalf on apologising stop must I
                        Other people on behalf of, stop I must
                        Must I stop of behalf on people other.
                        ... I think he's got it! By George, he's got it!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... I think he's got it! By George, he's got it!

"I Could Have Danced All Night" – Performed by Audrey Hepburn (dubbed by Marni Nixon), Mona Washbourne and Chorus, from the musical film "My fair Lady” (1964...

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Thanks S_A you are right in your assumption, I was agreeing with you Andy not attacking. I am just fed up with the BBC’s abandonment of those of us who have reached an age where our listening requirements are not deemed to matter. Fortunately my recorded music collection is wide enough in size and taste to outlive me!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Thanks S_A you are right in your assumption, I was agreeing with you Andy not attacking. I am just fed up with the BBC’s abandonment of those of us who have reached an age where our listening requirements are not deemed to matter. Fortunately my recorded music collection is wide enough in size and taste to outlive me!
                              You see, I ask myself all the time if, were it not for the inestimable edicative role Radio 3 performed for me during my formative years, I would have had the spadework preparation that gave me the wider picture to draw from in my lifelong investigation of musicm, and build my precious archive of recordings. And I worry about the cultural thinness of the gruel that now stands for "freedom of choice" in determining not just general public tastes and interests but the bedrock from which music has to move forward if it is not merely to stagnate.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

You see, I ask myself all the time if, were it not for the inestimable edicative role Radio 3 performed for me during my formative years, I would have had the spadework preparation that gave me the wider picture to draw from in my lifelong investigation of musicm, and build my precious archive of recordings. And I worry about the cultural thinness of the gruel that now stands for "freedom of choice" in determining not just general public tastes and interests but the bedrock from which music has to move forward if it is not merely to stagnate.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X