X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

National Citizen Service (NCS)

My 16-year old son's school is encouraging him to go on a 1-3 week citizen skills course.

There are few 'reviews' of it online - but such as there are seem mixed. It is an initiative of David Cameron's coalition government, described ten years ago by the Guardian as a vanity project.

Has anyone any direct exprerience?

PM me if more appropriate.
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Bumping this up

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

This might be of interest
      The government needs to either commit to NCS wholly or scrap it and use the money for a wide range of youth services, says Sneha Lala

The writer is in a position to comment on how the scheme has changed, and also makes useful suggestions about how supporting youth services might be a better way of delivering the aims.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

The cynic in me is inclined to suspect that if a school is "encouraging" students to attend such a cause, it may well be because it will bring greater kudos to the school than benefit to the students.

To be a little more even-handed, it might depend on how much trust you and your son have in the School, and in the staff who are doing this encouraging - if it's a teacher/member of staff who has shown concern for your son's well-being and development in the past, then it may well turn into something of great value to him. If it's someone who has been - or who may be - more concerned about the public reputation of the school, then such encouragement I would suggest should be taken with a huge pinch of salt (Blood pressure medication permitting).
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

Being somewhat hard nosed - what benefit accrues on UCAS applications?

(David Cameron era "initiatives" mmm - sorry I don't know anything about this one, but in general - yes, more research needed.)

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Bring back NS, I say, none of this citizen thingeys
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
            X