X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenilex
    • Nov 2010

Tony Hall Resigns

Have just heard the DG is packing it in....
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

After leading the corporation for seven years, Tony Hall is to become chair of the National Gallery.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

....seven years....has wings....flew by....

....flippant remark....how about Andrew Neil for DG....
      bong ching

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        ....flippant remark....how about Andrew Neil for DG....
        Paxo?

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

1st step in privatisation of the Beeb - licence fee will be gone within a year as the beeb has few friends among the higher echelon Tories and the current intake of lobby fodder will be too awed to object

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            1st step in privatisation of the Beeb - licence fee will be gone within a year as the beeb has few friends among the higher echelon Tories and the current intake of lobby fodder will be too awed to object
            "Time to leave the country"....

I am hopeful that the Great British Public would rise up in arms (or something) against this. The Tories won't want to alienate their Radio 4-listening, BBC4-watching middle class supporters (especially swing voters). Remember the power of the Save Radio 4 Longwave campaign: totally successful. (No doubt many French gite-owning Tories supported this!)

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

sorry BJ's voter base is not the R4 loving Home Counties Tories but the left behinds in the North - they are not interested in Kultur and will certainly approve abolition of licence fee after which the Beeb can fight with netflix + faux news

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

sorry BJ's voter base is not the R4 loving Home Counties Tories but the left behinds in the North - they are not interested in Kultur and will certainly approve abolition of licence fee after which the Beeb can fight with netflix + faux news
                The tories still own most of England outside of the big cities. They may well try to abolish the licence fee, but it will be quite a fight , I suspect.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Well, that's a sweeping statement!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

I suspect the BBC will be weakened in stages - first step de-criminalise Licence evasion - probably that can be done before the next (Charter?) review - then watch the BBC quality nose-dive (even more) as revenues decline. Then let market forces take their hold as a concept in TV, etc generally.

Eventually we may be left with a PBS (US) equivalent for radio letting the market feed the masses with the equivalent of Fox TV....

James Murdoch made a bid for this long ago, maybe the stars are now aligned for their aims...

Or not. We may well see that a Johnson government dismembers the BBC and much else besides. OTOH he no doubt feels one term won't be enough and is conscious that all governments accummulate sectors of the electorate who have been alienated as their term proceeds. He's started with a good 50% from Brexit to start with (any votes lent purely to end indecision, and on the delivery of all those promises). We've yet to see how the reality matches up to the rhetoric (and the useful deranged straws in the wind from the Cummings wing of "government" which can be used to measure strength of feeling). I mean, relocating the best club (gravy train courtesy of the taxpayers) in London - to York?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

....Are they eck!!....Will they ECK....go to ECK....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Paxo?
                        Only useful for stuffing the BBC - which is already stuffed.

Comment

• Andy Freude

Don't agree with that. The Tories have no 'voter base' among the 'left behinds in the North', who have much more to grumble about than the TV licence fee and have probably got a lot more coming to them. Hall's had enough, but it also makes sense to give someone a good run-in to the next charter review. Hall's been pretty weak. In my uninformed opinion.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
                            Don't agree with that. The Tories have no 'voter base' among the 'left behinds in the North', who have much more to grumble about than the TV licence fee and have probably got a lot more coming to them. Hall's had enough, but it also makes sense to give someone a good run-in to the next charter review. Hall's been pretty weak. In my uninformed opinion.
                            ....certainly very weak at beginning when put on spot immediately....I've no iodea really about rest, uttered the odd utterance periodically....no big scandal other than sexist pay....and that didn't stick to him....
                            bong ching

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

I've lived in "The North" most of my life, love Kulchur and love the BBC in principle if not always in practice; love Sky, BT Sport, Amazon Prime, Qobuz and many other Kulchurs; didn't vote for BJ, and find statements like this, which fall into the old TORY trap of stereotyping something called "The North" (could you tell me where it begins and ends...? Or offer a comment on "managed decline"?) just trivialisingly shallow.

Off to the Woods now. Maybe I'll bring some roadkill home to have with chips for me tea.
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 20-01-20, 16:53.

Comment

Working...
                              X