X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Orion ....Betelgeuse fading

<<"Orion is one of the most well-known constellations across the universe — but the mythical warrior may be missing his right shoulder before long. The giant red star known as Betelgeuse, situated almost perpendicular to Orion's belt, has rapidly dimmed since October.26 Dec 2019">>

I'm not big on astronomy but I do walk a lot at night and see the stars....did notice this loss of visibility, but put it down to atmospherics....but surely the above google snippet has got it wrong, as it seems to be the bottom left [foot] Monoceros that has disappeared to naked eye. Now I see this, a lot seems to be happening right now as I type....https://www.space.com/betelgeuse-may...two-stars.html

Too much reading for me to sort it out....I accept that Betel geuse is still in its right place but where is Monoceros??
    bong ching
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

It's been such rubbish weather in our region lately, I've hardly seen Orion. Maybe Fri, Sat and Sun will give us a chance.

However, where did your original quote

"Orion is one of the most well-known constellations across the universe — but the mythical warrior may be missing his right shoulder before long. The giant red star known as Betelgeuse, situated almost perpendicular to Orion's belt, has rapidly dimmed since October.26 Dec 2019"

come from 8th ?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      It's been such rubbish weather in our region lately, I've hardly seen Orion. Maybe Fri, Sat and Sun will give us a chance.

However, where did your original quote

come from 8th ?
      Try https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...va-fading.html

or https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-explosive-end

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk
        Could this be due to global warming?

They say if it does explode, it will be brighter than the moon for several weeks/months - that's a pretty rare phenomenon for humans to witness. But could happen any time in next 100,000 years.
        In fact it would be visible in daytime the astronomers are saying Boilk. Of course, it may already have happened but the news has not yet arrived with us given the light years it has to travel.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          In fact it would be visible in daytime the astronomers are saying Boilk. Of course, it may already have happened but the news has not yet arrived with us given the light years it has to travel.
          Given that itis said to be on the agenda within 100.000 years, and that the it takes around 700 years for the light to get here, that would be a chance of approximately 0.7% that it has already happened.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Holst set it to music, didn't he:

Holst/Wolfe fantasizing through a star, Betelgeuse, located in the constellation of Orion. Philip Laingridge is the singer--he also recorded beautiful versio...

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ZhwHXvViM
              As did Danny Elfman.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                As did Danny Elfman.
                Not to mention the entire output of Rigel Osborne.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

...and what a fabulous voice Philip Langridge had.

On the subject of the star itself, does anyone remember Patrick Moore on Sky at Night pronouncing it Beetle-Juice?
                  I love it when the unmistakable Orion starts sinking below the horizon. A sign that Summer is not too far off.

PS Thanks for the info Bryn.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

On the subject of the star itself, does anyone remember Patrick Moore on Sky at Night pronouncing it Beetle-Juice?
                    I love it when the unmistakable Orion starts sinking below the horizon. A sign that Summer is not too far off.

Yes that's my take on it too, it disappears not because it is not there, but because of the sky being light when i walk my dog in the spring....

As regards yr other question - I just put something like Missing star in orion?-into google and that is the first thing that came up....

But what about the star Saiph (i originally call it Monoceros - which is a faint constellation in the same region)at the left hand foot ofOrion which seems to have disappeared too
                    bong ching

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Very curious.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Wasn't Beetle-juice also a Hitch-hikers Guide thing or am I mis-remembering?

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... I've always called it beetlejuice - it's what our geography master at school called it, and how my father pronounced it.

Wiki, ever helpful, -

The traditional name Betelgeuse is derived from either the Arabic إبط الجوزاء Ibṭ al-Jauzā’, meaning "the armpit of Orion", or يد الجوزاء Yad al-Jauzā’ "the hand of Orion". In English there are four common pronunciations of this name, depending on whether the first e is pronounced short or long and whether the s is pronounced 's' or 'z':
                          /ˈbɛtəldʒuːz/
                          /ˈbiːtəldʒuːz/
                          /ˈbɛtəldʒuːs/
                          /ˈbiːtəldʒuːs/,
                          the last popularized for sounding just like "beetle-juice".

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                            • Dec 2010

Better Geuze - but can cause fading, and sometimes explosions.

apologies for schoolboy humour.

Comment

• Jonathan
                              • Mar 2007

If I remember correctly, some stars periodically build up shells of material in their atmospheres and every so often, will eject this into space. Betelgeuse I think is a semi-variable red giant and so could be expected to do this. Either that or it's gone supernova!
                              Best regards,
                              Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X