X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Warm socks

Recent cancer treatment has resulted in me experiencing cold feet and fingers in cold weather conditions; rather like Raynaud's condition.

I've seen the 'Battery Heated Socks Rechargeable' but they are very expensive and I'm not sure my problem is that extreme for those, certainly not yet.

I've tried the Raynaud's Disease 9% Silver Socks but they are expensive too at about £11 a pair plus p&p.

Any warm sock suggestions will be appreciated please.
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    Recent cancer treatment has resulted in me experiencing cold feet and fingers in cold weather conditions; rather like Raynaud's condition.

I've seen the 'Battery Heated Socks Rechargeable' but they are very expensive and I'm not sure my problem is that extreme for those, certainly not yet.

I've tried the Raynaud's Disease 9% Silver Socks but they are expensive too at about £11 a pair plus p&p.

Any warm sock suggestions will be appreciated please.
    I find bamboo socks do the trick, or if you're in the mood to splash the cash, cashmere works well.

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

We always advise sufferers of Raynaud's to keep the arms and legs warm (indeed the whole trunk), not just the extreme peripheries. So I would recommend thermals as well as your socks.
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....I find having a couple of hot water bottles in lounge /any room....during the day....also just having extra thgick socks dotted around the house [get them from a market stall not necc' that expensive - 2 pairs of cheap socks equal one pair expensive - i buy largest size to aid putting on....
        bong ching

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          ....I find having a couple of hot water bottles in lounge /any room....during the day....also just having extra thgick socks dotted around the house [get them from a market stall not necc' that expensive - 2 pairs of cheap socks equal one pair expensive - i buy largest size to aid putting on....
          - this was what someone I knew who went through the same treatment as you are, Stanf, found to be the only effective treatment - hot water bottle under feet and hands when seated, and a spare pair of socks warming on a radiator so that quick & regular changes can be made into a warm pair.

It seems a particularly "spiteful" side-effect of treatment: as if one hasn't suffered enough serious stuff without this nagging and real discomfort putting its oar in! Best wishes, Stanf.

(And Flay's right about the thermals - even though this can lead to the wearer sweating, whilst still having freexing fingers and feet! - keep the core warm, too. )
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Are there any more?

I'm at the football match at AFC Fylde tomorrow (FA Trophy, second round). I choose to stand as I can move around whereas I find I get much colder when I'm seated.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

I'm at the football match at AFC Fylde tomorrow (FA Trophy, second round). I choose to stand as I can move around whereas I find I get much colder when I'm seated.
              Layers!.Wear two or three of natural fibre socks (say, two of cotton and an outer of wool hiking quality, and maybe sheepskin-lined boots. On the hands, again, layers. Thin silk or cotton gloves (as favoured by motorcyclists), then lined leather on top. The trapped air makes a very good insulator and can hold a fair quatity of evaporated moisture from the body without feeling too damp.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                • Dec 2012

I use fluffy bed socks - cheap on ebsy - but I don't think my needs are as extreme as yours.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I recommend Bridgedale 'light' walking socks. Very comfortable but not too warm.

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

I would recommend thermal socks with a high TOG rating, e.g. 4.7:: see https://www.amazon.co.uk/MENS-THERMA.../dp/B00QNSSE2E

Used to wear these on a motor bike. They never disappointed.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Layers!

Wear two or three of natural fibre socks (say, two of cotton and an outer of wool hiking quality, and maybe sheepskin-lined boots.
                      That's an important point.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Doing frequent night-watches at sea in an open cockpit, I can confirm that two or three layers work well...but make sure this doesn't result in tight-fitting shoes/boots or whatever. There needs to be a bit of looseness (a) to allow good blood circulation and (b) to allow layers of air to get trapped. Air is a great insulator!

When I'm in landlubber mode, especially during winter, I like to wear long socks. They're quite difficult to find, but M&S do some good ones, It's my guess that socks which go almost up to the knees (and are just tight enough to stay up by themselves) help venous return in the legs. That's the theory behind 'aeroplane' socks, I think.

I'm trying hard to think of a musical link to socks. I'm sure someone will come up with an idea.....

The Chausson baby was the nearest I could get.
                        Last edited by ardcarp; 10-01-20, 21:02.

Comment

• Constantbee
                          • Jul 2017

Friends of mine who ski use adhesive insole footwarmers. The heated cushioning releases heat as soon as it comes into contact with the air, ie when you apply pressure to it by standing on it. Available for a couple of quid a pair from The Heat Company on Amazon.

Have you had a diagnosis for this yet, Stfdn? The Macmillan Cancer Support website has some useful information about Peripheral Neuropathy.

Peripheral neuropathy is damage to the nerves connecting the brain, spinal cord and the rest of the body. It can be caused by cancer or its treatment.

Definitely not something to ignore, whatever you've got. Any kind of foot problem can increase the likelihood of a fall, for example. There are things you can do about that, too, of course. Hope you enjoy the match tomorrow, but watch your step, that's all.
                          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I can hardly believe I'm reading this thread, and all the suggestions within it. I find that I often feel cold nowadays - possibly due to the arctic extremes to which we have now moved - so I nearly always wear socks in bed nowadays, plus there's an electric blanket, and now we even have fleecy duvet covers.

I take some slight comfort from the evidence that I'm not the only one who feels the cold.
                            Last edited by Dave2002; 11-01-20, 07:26.

Comment

Working...
                            X