X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenMcK
    • Jan 2020

Social media

I wonder what use contributors on here make of social media, be it Facebook, Twitter or Instagram?

My own experience is I have always stayed away from Twitter. From the start it always struck me as a malignant soundbite forum, not remotely suitable for proper debate. A mudslinger for the digital age.

Facebook brought with it more promise. It has become a great boon for keeping in touch with distant family and old friends. For politics and the like though, in such a short space of time really, it has become such a toxic and unreliable environment.

For years, TV dramas were predicting the manipulation of it by rooms full of slave botters trolling here, there and everywhere. Unfortunately, we didn't quite take that seriously until it actually became a thing.

Perhaps we were unwise to laugh at the growth of flat earthers and moon landing deniers, but social media has been hugely influential in propagating such schools of thought and a zeitgeist that presents passionately held beliefs as truths.

These platforms are Animal Farm come through, but did no one think to design a reset button?
  • greenilex
    • Nov 2010

This message board is as far as I go with social media. I have never regretted my boycott.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
      This message board is as far as I go with social media. I have never regretted my boycott.
      Same here.
      That said, I can see some benefits to a local Facebook group, such as we have here on our estate, where information about our heating and internet can be posted, for example. I rely on a neighbour for information.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

All that said, there are some (to me) wonderful facebook sites, several for example on aspects of jazz that link to other, related areas. And to be honest, the left-wing sites enthusiastically updating on the latest political gossip, and posting tit-bits as well as important background info on some of the protagonists, helped keep my pucker up during the pre-election period, supplying significant indicators as to how much leftist thinking had broadened since the time of my activism in the 1970s and early '80s. But, like others here, I wouldn't touch twitter with a bargepole.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

I left Facebook about 18 months ago and haven't regretted it. Well, apart from a few contributors who posted photos of areas of Edinburgh being built including one of my house under construction! So yes, I do miss that but having taken early retirement I was bombarded with requests from ex-colleagues to be 'friends' with them. Bearing in mind they never spoke to me whilst I was at work I wondered what their sudden interest was now I'd left!

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            I left Facebook about 18 months ago and haven't regretted it. Well, apart from a few contributors who posted photos of areas of Edinburgh being built including one of my house under construction! So yes, I do miss that but having taken early retirement I was bombarded with requests from ex-colleagues to be 'friends' with them. Bearing in mind they never spoke to me whilst I was at work I wondered what their sudden interest was now I'd left!
            You too! I've recently retired and no-one really believed I'd do it but when the penny finally dropped, colleagues appeared to take more interest in me than in all the years I was there! I'm only in a local closed group on Facebook but hardly bother with it. Can't understand those people who put every tiny detail of their daily life on there. All a bit odd if you ask me. Don't bother with Twitter and have no idea what Instagram is.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
              Same here!

Comment

• StephenMcK
                • Jan 2020

The thing that is moving me closer and closer to quitting is the prevalence of 'sponsored' posts that appear in my feed.

Facebook provides no filtering to allow you to control what appears, so my feed is dominated by evangelical Christian groups and throughout the height of the Brexit sturm und drung I was being assaulted by leave propaganda.

Now, I'm a gay atheist, so that makes me doubly useless as a potential convert to the religious stuff and I continue to be ardently Remain.

Yes, you can go into each post and individually report them as not being to your liking which I generally do by ticking the 'false news' window, but what I find very concerning now is the proliferation trend. You know, there are elements out there who somehow have funds sufficient that they're going to bombard me anyway; and what's more, I believe they intend to keep it up.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post
                  The thing that is moving me closer and closer to quitting is the prevalence of 'sponsored' posts that appear in my feed.
                  You need to use the FB Purity browser extension, which will magically make all such things disappear. Highly recommended. (Not by Mark Zuckerberg of course.)

Comment

• muzzer
                    • Nov 2013

There’s a lot of stuff out there which is very interesting but it’s extremely time consuming sorting the wheat from the chaff, and thoroughly depressing seeing how much meaningless blather is generated by mankind. To which I have just added.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Facebook provides no filtering to allow you to control what appears, so my feed is dominated by evangelical Christian groups and throughout the height of the Brexit sturm und drung I was being assaulted by leave propaganda.

Now, I'm a gay atheist, so that makes me doubly useless as a potential convert to the religious stuff and I continue to be ardently Remain.

Yes, you can go into each post and individually report them as not being to your liking which I generally do by ticking the 'false news' window, but what I find very concerning now is the proliferation trend. You know, there are elements out there who somehow have funds sufficient that they're going to bombard me anyway; and what's more, I believe they intend to keep it up.
                      Not a lapsed Catholic by any chance, are you, Stephen?

Comment

• StephenMcK
                        • Jan 2020

Gosh! I didn't know there was such a thing. I thought I was having my legged pulled.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Gosh! I didn't know there was such a thing. I thought I was having my legged pulled.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

I have amended the thread title to reflect the broader issues of social media being discussed here; and to avoid any accusation of racism on the forum.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              I have amended the thread title to reflect the broader issues of social media being discussed here; and to avoid any accusation of racism on the forum.
                              Or cultural appropriation?

Comment

Working...
                              X