• LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    Could happen to a bishop.

Danish footballer Harald Nielsen.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

There have been a few racehorses named after composers most notably recently with some of Aidan O'Brien's horses on the Flat, including Sergei Prokofiev, van Beethoven, Mendelssohn and Mahler. There seems to be a classical music fan amongst his owners.

Another musically related horse, for those with longer memories, was Rheingold in the early 1970s.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Felix The Gnat View Post
        The 1950s Russian centre-half Dimitri Vladimirovich Kykabolokov, left an unfinished piano trio - I don't know if that qualifies him as a composer, though.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

I would have like to have joined one of Arnold Schoenberg's famous tennis doubles in California which included the likes of Charlie Chaplin, George Gershwin and Groucho Marx (whose mother's maiden name coincidentally was also Schönberg). I believe he was quite a decent tennis player but his son became something of a local champion. I read somewhere that Arnold was walking along on the UCLA campus one day and overheard a couple of students pointing towards him. One of them observed: That's Schoenberg's father!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            I would have like to have joined one of Arnold Schoenberg's famous tennis doubles in California which included the likes of Charlie Chaplin, George Gershwin and Groucho Marx (whose mother's maiden name coincidentally was also Schönberg). I believe he was quite a decent tennis player but his son became something of a local champion. I read somewhere that Arnold was walking along on the UCLA campus one day and overheard a couple of students pointing towards him. One of them observed: That's Schoenberg's father!
            - Arnie was a vigorous, if not entirely successful Tennis Player, so much so that, when he first started teaching a UCL in the mid-30s, he would teach his students in his tennis clothes so that he didn't waste any time after the lessons. He attempted the same policy when he moved to UCLA, but a quiet word from the Dean put a stop to this.

He passed his enthusiasm on to his children, with Ronald becoming, as you say, rather more proficient than his father.

... and always insured that the racquet was tuned to A = 440

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

“The scene is a garden at dusk; a tennis ball has been lost.” The beginning of a play or a novel? This was the opening sentence describing the scenario to the audience of Claude Debussy’s ballet ‘J…

Comment

• LezLee
                • Apr 2019

Some would say Schoenberg used a lot of strings to make a racket...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                  Would they? Some people live very sad lives, don't they.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Would they? Some people live very sad lives, don't they.
                    There's an American soccer player called Andrew Weber.

Comment

• Oakapple

Apparently Elgar set the words "he banged the leather for goal" to music after reading them in a newspaper report about a football match. I've never been able to find this music, though.

Comment

• LezLee
                        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                        Apparently Elgar set the words "he banged the leather for goal" to music after reading them in a newspaper report about a football match. I've never been able to find this music, though.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

When I was young our local professional baseball team added a marginal player named Richard Wagner (pronounces Wag-ner). When ever his name was mentioned my father would yell “Ree-kard Vagnher at the plate” and start goosestepping around the room humming the Prelude to Meistersinger. It was only years later after I got into Music that I understood the joke.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Scheidt was one of Glasgow Celtic's most disastrous signings, aptly matching his name with his standard of play.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                              Miserables?

Comment

Working...
                              X