• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Reading the above comments I did become interested in finding out a bit more about the bloke. One of the things I found was an RT TV interview where he rather uncontentiously chats about Russian tourism but you get to see what he looked like.

I only vaguely remember his contributions and was mainly curious about his Parsifal-alluding on-line name. It occupied me (but only slightly) that his online name in terms of German grammar was either dative (to pure folly) or genitive (of pure folly) and not the more neutral nominative which would be "reine Torheit". Also, the German forename he has borrowed is spelt "Rainer". (I do realise I am living up to my own online name and going on a bit.)
    Hm. I knew he was a tourism tycoon, but I didn’t expect him to blow his aesthetic crediblity with his opening sentence. Tchaikovsky, the ‘high point’ of Russian music? In whose universe?

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      Tchaikovsky, the ‘high point’ of Russian music? In whose universe?
      ... o, in many people's view, I wd think. Just as there are those who see Elgar as the ne plus ultra of English music.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        De mortuis nil nisi bonum
        I've never believed this to be a useful maxim. Others rarely please us all the time in life, and I do not understand why we should not remember them as they were, and look to unravel our puzzles about them - as eloquently demonstrated by the responses here.

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... o, in many people's view, I wd think. Just as there are those who see Elgar as the ne plus ultra of English music.

Yes, in ‘many peoples’’’. But Mr. McGowan, whatever one may have thought of him, was not ‘many people’ and would certainly have objected to being counted among them (the many).

It’s highly unusual for musicians, or people with a knowledge of music, to rate Tchaikovsky that highly, or even to rate him at all.

P.I.T.may be Russia’s ‘most famous’ composer but few would seriously argue he was its best.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Yes, in ‘many peoples’’’. But Mr. McGowan, whatever one may have thought of him, was not ‘many people’ and would certainly have objected to being counted among them (the many).

It’s highly unusual for musicians, or people with a knowledge of music, to rate Tchaikovsky that highly, or even to rate him at all.

P.I.T.may be Russia’s ‘most famous’ composer but few would seriously argue he was its best.
            What, musically ignorant people like Stravinsky, you mean?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Hans Keller rated his symphonies highly...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                Hans Keller rated his symphonies highly...
                As did HC Robbins Landon. I would suggest that it's as much a mistake not to rate Tchaikovsky at all as it is to regard him as "the high point of Russian Music".
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Conchis
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2014

I can understand why Stravinsky (who has a rather stronger claim to be Russia’s greatest compoer, though I.S.himself might have claimed to be American) would admire Tchaikovksy’s music, because it was so unlike his own. A case of someone thinking, ‘I like that because I could/would never do it.’

Somewhat surprised to read of Hans Keller’s admiration, though.

Wonder if either of them liked Verdi?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    As did HC Robbins Landon. I would suggest that it's as much a mistake not to rate Tchaikovsky at all as it is to regard him as "the high point of Russian Music".
                    It's only because he found it hard to spell Arkady Shilkloper's name correctly ?

Comment

• Conchis
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2014

I think Mr. Pure Foolishness did like his Olympian statements.

Comment

• Conchis
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2014

I seem to remember Reiner Torheit getting very hot under the collar whenever anyone criticised the practice of translating opera librettti into the English language. I belive he may have had something of a vested interest here, though.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          It's only because he found it hard to spell Arkady Shilkloper's name correctly ?
                          "Ustvosk ... Utvolsk ... Utsvolk ... oh, sod it ... Cui"
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

"Ustvosk ... Utvolsk ... Utsvolk ... oh, sod it ... Cui"

(That's what Frank would have said....)

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

I can understand why Stravinsky (who has a rather stronger claim to be Russia’s greatest compoer, though I.S.himself might have claimed to be American) would admire Tchaikovksy’s music, because it was so unlike his own. A case of someone thinking, ‘I like that because I could/would never do it.’

Somewhat surprised to read of Hans Keller’s admiration, though.

Wonder if either of them liked Verdi?
                              It is slightly surprising but HK was full of surprises. He wrote the PIT chapter in the Penguin Guide to the Symphony. I get the impression he rated him above Bruckner and Mahler ( but I might be going too far in inferring that ). Tschaikowsky has suffered from over exposure and a kind of prejudice against overly gifted melodists. But looking at the operas, the later symphonies , ballet scores , piano , chamber works and songs he was an all round master surely.

Comment

• Conchis
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                                It is slightly surprising but HK was full of surprises. He wrote the PIT chapter in the Penguin Guide to the Symphony. I get the impression he rated him above Bruckner and Mahler ( but I might be going too far in inferring that ). Tschaikowsky has suffered from over exposure and a kind of prejudice against overly gifted melodists. But looking at the operas, the later symphonies , ballet scores , piano , chamber works and songs he was an all round master surely.
                                He was, and i’m less offended by his melodicism (shall we call it his ‘McCartneyism’?) than some. But then, I’m not a musician so I don’t get hot under the collar about banal chord progressions, etc.

That said, I know doggerel when I heard it and the 1812 is doggerel (albeit profitable doggerel).

Sidebar to this: Tchiakovksy’s reactionary politics aren’t often discussed but he must surely have been the most right-wing composer who ever lived. Were he alive today, I can imagine him being all over Putin (Putin would have discouraged that naturallly!) and would have been strongly supportive of Putin’s anti-homosexual laws. He would also have been delighted with the President’s description of him as a ‘person without a family.’
                                Last edited by Conchis; 10-12-19, 17:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X