X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Online booking for the South Bank

I hope to attend a gig at the Purcell Room tomorrow, for which there are still seats available.

Last week I was at the Royal Festival Hall, and on passing by the booking desk, saw a notice stating that they now only take bookings by card, no longer by cash.

I have just spent 10 minutes trying to access their online booking facility. They require you to have a password, but from what I could make out they first seem to need one to fill out the online booking form, stating name, address, email address, and this code number. Not having a password I obviously left the respective entry and confirmation slots blank, whereupon the reply came that I had not entered the password, and that I would need to register. On clicking Register, I was once more presented with the same booking form, which then again demanded I enter this password.

I'm fast losing patience with this: Trevor Watts. whose gig it is, personally emailed me a couple of months ago about it, and I emailed him back saying how much I was looking forward to being there, which looks less and less likely. Is this the common experience when trying to book for anything at the South Bank? Because I just don't get it!
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 14-11-19, 17:13. Reason: Password, not booking code
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Sorry to hear this, SA.

I had a weird experience booking a gig (which I'll be going to this Saturday) with South Bank - I found I was unable to change the bill-payer's address, so was forced to use the one that I used initially five years' ago when I first bought a ticket from them, and which I no longer live at...

Perhaps try emailing someone for help?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      Sorry to hear this, SA.

I had a weird experience booking a gig (which I'll be going to this Saturday) with South Bank - I found I was unable to change the bill-payer's address, so was forced to use the one that I used initially five years' ago when I first bought a ticket from them, and which I no longer live at...

Perhaps try emailing someone for help?
      Hi Joseph

By "code" I meant password, of course. I always get in a tizz over correct terminology when confronted with online problems. But then it gets more complicated. Now I find I can't get or send emails of any kind since I've been blocked due to some security alert Sky discovered relating to some users, me being one, and the automatic Sky phone number supposed to rectify the matter does not recognise my online phone number, presumably because Vodafone changed it when I transferred from Sky Broadband. Usually I can get my local computer expert on the phone when presented with problems of this kind, but for some reason he's not answering. I may have to raise this quite complex matter on the techie board to see if there's anybody here that can help.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Although I'm not going to this gig, I decided to see what happened if I googled Purcell Room South Bank. Once there, I clicked on 'tomorrow' and then on the gig you mentioned, chose 2 seats and from there was taken straight to 'Purchase'. (I don't have a password and didn't bothered to log in.) I booked some seats for a RFH concert a few weeks ago and the procedure was equally straightforward then.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          Although I'm not going to this gig, I decided to see what happened if I googled Purcell Room South Bank. Once there, I clicked on 'tomorrow' and then on the gig you mentioned, chose 2 seats and from there was taken straight to 'Purchase'. (I don't have a password and didn't bothered to log in.) I booked some seats for a RFH concert a few weeks ago and the procedure was equally straightforward then.
          I've tried that, but any combination beyond the Purchase invoice with all the details I've requested takes me straight on to registering, which is entering my email address and a password. I noticed that the seat I had tried to book earlier was still available.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

When I tried to pay for some South Bank vouchers bought as a present, the system froze. When I phoned the staff said they were having computer problems.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              When I tried to pay for some South Bank vouchers bought as a present, the system froze. When I phoned the staff said they were having computer problems.
              I can't understand why one should have to register for purchasing anything from a retailer at all. Surely it would be most logical just to flag one's name, email and bank account for a one-off direct debit, and then just walk away into the sunset? When you give South Bank your details they want to know other areas of interest. Why should I feel obligated to give them? I'm only intending going to one bloody gig!!!

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I can't understand why one should have to register for purchasing anything from a retailer at all. Surely it would be most logical just to flag one's name, email and bank account for a one-off direct debit, and then just walk away into the sunset? When you give South Bank your details they want to know other areas of interest. Why should I feel obligated to give them? I'm only intending going to one bloody gig!!!
                Yet more data harvesting - b****y irritating.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Yeah, but they would love to send you lots of useful stuff, which you will find really interesting!

OG

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

That's why, when possible, I try to get along to the South Bank to purchase any tickets I want in person. No booking free and no signing up to junk email.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      That's why, when possible, I try to get along to the South Bank to purchase any tickets I want in person. No booking free and no signing up to junk email.
                      How mercenary!

Regarding #7: The booking fee for telephone bookings is only 50p more than the booking fee for online bookings - presumably you can collect the tickets when you arrive at the hall.
                      Last edited by LMcD; 15-11-19, 07:53.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. It seems one of the problems may have been that the venue had an email address I no longer have. Luckily I got through to the booking office by phone just now, and will pick up the ticket there this evening.

Comment

Working...
                        X