Rugby World Cup: We're not out yet ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

It will be interesting to see whether, following their 3rd defeat in a World Cup final, England change their approach for the 2023 tournament. It would be nice to think they will stick to the style that brought them victory against the All Blacks this time round, but I guess that, at the end of the day, it's results that count.
    (I'm quite happy to have the title of this thread amended, in the light of what transpired, by the way! )

Comment

• LHC
      • Jan 2011

[QUOTE=LMcD;762119]It will be interesting to see whether, following their 3rd defeat in a World Cup final, England change their approach for the 2023 tournament. It would be nice to think they will stick to the style that brought them victory against the All Blacks this time round, but I guess that, at the end of the day, it's results that count.
      (I'm quite happy to have the title of this thread amended, in the light of what transpired, by the way! )[
      I also hope they continue to play with the same elan they showed against the All Blacks. England have a very young team, and most of these players will still be around in four years time, by which time they might have found a scrum half who can pass.

They might also have an easier run to the final next time. Having to play and beat Australia, New Zealand and South Africa on successive weekends was always going to be a difficult task.
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        It's a different game, isn't it? Sheer poetry, normal sized men running like gazelles.
        You mean like the Cheslin Kolbe (5ft 6, 80 kilos) scoring South Africa's last try. For me it was a great occasion and I can't see much point in pouring cold water on it by saying it wasn't like one fantastic try over 40 years ago, which is justly famous to this day because it was so exceptional and of course was in an exhibition match where the result was secondary. There were plenty of dull matches in the "good" old days. Makazole Mapimpi's try was also pretty exciting. Marvellous for South Africa with enthusiastic scenes in Siya Kolisi's hometown. What a story! The most depressing thing was to see some England players unsportingly disrespecting the result by rejecting their second-place medals.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
          The final was played like that because South Africa knew that if they allowed England to play as they did against the All Blacks just a week ago, they would be blown off the park, but if they could turn the game into a slug fest, their forwards could win the game for them. There are plenty of rugby fans who complain about the negative tactics employed by teams like South Africa and Wales, but it clearly works for them.

I would also point out that finals in many sports are often not the greatest adverts for their games because of nerves.

Oh, and for those who think that dour games are a modern affliction, the dullest game in history was the game between Wales and Scotland in 1963, which featured 111 line-outs as both teams continually kicked the ball out of play to try and gain territory.
          Would be great if Youngs would learn to box kick with effect before he retires....
          bong ching

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

The Kolbe try was the best thing in the match IMO.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              Would be great if Youngs would learn to box kick with effect before he retires....
              In today's choices you have to learn to box tick.

Comment

Working...
              X