X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I thought it was either a street urchin, or what you have to do if a gobstopper gets lodged in someone's throat!
    No intended ambiguity re Alain and read as Vints discerned. Incidentally it would be an 'Oik', wouldn't it?

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Oh I Know..... (in my Sybil voice).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Oh I Know..... (in my Sybil voice).
        So did I.................really.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

So did I.................really.
          Never doubted it.

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
            Did the name "Stephen" exist in whatever demotic language was being used at the time? I assume anybody who could write used either Stephanus or Étienne.
            We know that Stephen's successor, Henry II, had a chaplain called Etienne de Fougeres, and his name was written as Esteinvre de Fougeres, and St Stephen was Saint Estenvre. So people at the English court would have said something like that. Ordinary people who spoke some form of English may not have known the king's name.

Sorry, I can only offer -

East Good Bread Dear Father and Good Bread Dear Father Ate which is a bit pathetic.

Comment

• Oakapple

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
              He is now, as I know, but what was he called then? Did the name "Stephen" exist in whatever demotic language was being used at the time? I assume anybody who could write used either Stephanus or Étienne.
              In the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, in the English of the time at Peterborough, his name is written Stephne.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                In the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, in the English of the time at Peterborough, his name is written Stephne.
                I wonder of the name Stepney, for the district in east London, derives from that.

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                  I'd forgotten that. Yes, the Laud Chronicle is continued up to 1154. But the official language of the English court remained French for another couple of centuries. There were highly placed Saxons after the Conquest, so I suppose the exact form of the name could vary depending on whether the speaker was of Anglo-Norman or Saxon origin. It seems that either way it would have been closer to 'Stephen' than 'Etienne'.

Comment

• Andy Freude

I wonder of the name Stepney, for the district in east London, derives from that.
                    This might be getting a bit too close to the real UC to be on topic but -

"The first surviving record of the place name is from around 1000 AD as Stybbanhyð, "Stybba's hyð"; hyð developed into hithe (meaning landing-place) in modern English, so "Stybba's landing-place". The parish of Stebbing in Essex also appears to have taken its name from an individual called Stybba"

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

An early example of dyslexia?

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        An early example of dyslexia?
                        Or maybe txt speak?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
                          This might be getting a bit too close to the real UC to be on topic but -

"The first surviving record of the place name is from around 1000 AD as Stybbanhyð, "Stybba's hyð"; hyð developed into hithe (meaning landing-place) in modern English, so "Stybba's landing-place". The parish of Stebbing in Essex also appears to have taken its name from an individual called Stybba"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepney#Etymology
                          Thanks, Andy.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
                            We know that Stephen's successor, Henry II, had a chaplain called Etienne de Fougeres, and his name was written as Esteinvre de Fougeres, and St Stephen was Saint Estenvre. So people at the English court would have said something like that. Ordinary people who spoke some form of English may not have known the king's name.
                            Thanks to all who responded to my original query. I have noticed that in some southern dialects the consonant softening renders Étienne as Éstevre or similar. I have even read a suggestion, which I find interesting if not compelling that the shift indicates the Sainthood, so that Stephen equals "Saint Étienne". Interesting, but needs expanding, as I used to scrawl.

Comment

• LezLee
                              • Apr 2019

Lovely answer on 'The Chase' today:

Q. The Manchester Ship Canal links Manchester to which other major UK city?

Contestant: Belfast?

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                                Lovely answer on 'The Chase' today:

Q. The Manchester Ship Canal links Manchester to which other major UK city?

Contestant: Belfast?
                                Perhaps he (or she) has access to the PM's secret list of upcoming northern infrastructure projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X