X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

Not Quite University Challenge

I must admit to a bit of an addiction to daytime quiz shows which can be a source of great amusement ( and despair)
    Today's 'Tipping Point' came up with this gem:

Q. The number, one thousand and nine in Roman numerals forms what short English word?
    A. (From a 40ish woman) "Well, I know a thousand is 'C' and nine is VIIII, so I'll try 'cove'"
    Last edited by LezLee; 23-07-19, 23:51.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Cruel!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Private Eye has a spot for quiz show gems like that.

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

From today's 'The Chase':

Q. Which Womble shares its name with a famous soldier and Prime Minister?

A. Orinoco?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Mocking the less well-educated or less media aware is never a good look.... and it shows this forum in an even worse light...
          Never heard of Andy Warhol?

Good grief, today of all terrible days there are more important things to worry about - and plan your campaign of protest and attack....!
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 25-07-19, 00:26.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Neve heard of Andy Warhol?
            Good for Neve!

Comment

• Braunschlag
              • Jul 2017

[QUOTE=jayne lee wilson;748050]Mocking the less well-educated or less media aware is never a good look....

Well maybe, but these quiz show participants are volunteering for their few minutes of national publicity. If they then come out with a clunker of an answer then that game will naturally backfire. Haven’t any sympathy really, surely they know what they are letting themselves in for?

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Mocking the less well-educated or less media aware is never a good look.... and it shows this forum in an even worse light...
                Never heard of Andy Warhol?

Good grief, today of all terrible days there are more important things to worry about - and plan your campaign of protest and attack....!
                I agree we shouldn't mock people, but I don't think we've quite got to that stage - though maybe you're right to warn we're veering that way.

Re campaigns - I haven't a clue what you're suggesting. As of now I don't know whether we should - and you seem to think everyone is going to share your views anyway. Perhaps wait and see - for a short while.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

We've stopped watching 'Pointless', but still treasure some of the dafter answers, such as: 'Name a post-war US President' (answer: James Callaghan) and 'name a European country not ending in "ia"' (answer: Paris).

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I recall some musical ones too, such as "Who wrote Beethoven's Eroica Sympony?" ........." Er... Er..... Tchaikovsky" - or maybe that's apocryphal.

Comment

• burning dog
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      I recall some musical ones too, such as "Who wrote Beethoven's Eroica Sympony?" ........." Er... Er..... Tchaikovsky" - or maybe that's apocryphal.
                      As per the title. Part of the previously uploaded A to Z of 3-2-1 but thought it deserved a separate upload.

Comment

• LezLee
                        • Apr 2019

Not apocryphal, Dave!

My absolute all-time favourite, again from 'Tipping Point'. Contestants were two 'mature' ladies.

Q. For what is 'My Very Excellent Mother Served Us Noodles' a mnemonic? (Order of the planets from the sun)

1st contestant, after much thought, "November"

2nd contestant, also after much thought, "The vowels?"

The poor presenter was obviously quite thrown by this utter surrealism. A pity no-one could ask for an explanation, though I would imagine neither of them knew the meaning of 'mnemonic'.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          I agree we shouldn't mock people, but I don't think we've quite got to that stage - though maybe you're right to warn we're veering that way.

Re campaigns - I haven't a clue what you're suggesting. As of now I don't know whether we should - and you seem to think everyone is going to share your views anyway. Perhaps wait and see - for a short while.
                          Wait and see? really? With Boris Johnson the Prime Minister of an appallingly gungho Brexiteering government...?

Look how fast he's been working today....I've been signing petitions and sending MP letters since last week at least... but OF COURSE its up to you what views you share....
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 25-07-19, 00:37.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                            Not apocryphal, Dave!

My absolute all-time favourite, again from 'Tipping Point'. Contestants were two 'mature' ladies.

Q. For what is 'My Very Excellent Mother Served Us Noodles' a mnemonic? (Order of the planets from the sun)

1st contestant, after much thought, "November"

2nd contestant, also after much thought, "The vowels?"

The poor presenter was obviously quite thrown by this utter surrealism. A pity no-one could ask for an explanation, though I would imagine neither of them knew the meaning of 'mnemonic'.
                            Will Gompertz on 'Pointless Celebrities', when asked which Italian composer, name beginning with V, wrote 4 concertos called 'The Four Seasons', replied 'Verdi'.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post

Well maybe, but these quiz show participants are volunteering for their few minutes of national publicity. If they then come out with a clunker of an answer then that game will naturally backfire. Haven’t any sympathy really, surely they know what they are letting themselves in for?
                              Not sure about that.... I think they like the idea of being on TV & don't worry too much about what they may or may not know.... which is mainly down to environment, upbringing and education anyway...

But to watch such things just to laugh at the contestants....? Well....

Comment

Working...
                              X