• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by johnb View Post
    As far as the classical guitar is concerned, IMO getting used to playing from Tab instead of learning standard notation can be an immense drawback.
    It's not an either/or though...

I was taught tab, and I consider tab to be a bit of a no-brainer, hence I was shown it by a teacher who taught us in free school lessons. It's not an 'immense drawback'... I am curious to know why you think learning one thing before another would stymie in some way the latter.. Perhaps if I'd had private guitar lessons the guitar teacher would have been more inclined to teach me standard notation. In any case a few years later when I was 14/15 I bought a book And taught myself standard notation.

Comment

• Boilk
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      You seem here to be repeatedly implying that musical literacy is inherently orthodox, which isn't the case. But, as someone without a traditional musical education, I taught myself to read music; it really isn't that difficult.
      Crossed wires I think. Following the thread back, I was talking about unshackling oneself from the prevailing harmonic orthodoxy (tonic/dominant-based) which is still near-ubiquitous in the wider musical world, not where one learned to read notation, whether in an educational establishment or self-taught.
      Last edited by Boilk; 26-07-19, 10:52.

Comment

Working...
      X