• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

But he still is an arse
    In your not very humble opinion - I guess you don’t do humble!

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      In your not very humble opinion - I guess you don’t do humble!
      I don't make up shit about music like mr McCartney

I'm sure he is a good bass player BUT much of what he has said about music is bullshit

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

I don't make up shit about music like mr McCartney

I'm sure he is a good bass player BUT much of what he has said about music is bullshit
        I thought you believed that music was many different things.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
          I thought you believed that music was many different things.
          It is

But someone who has spent his entire life working in studios with other musicians who are reading off parts and the supposed "composer" of this music pretends that he has NO understanding of what they are doing is bullshit

Music IS many things
          but McCartney's music relies on other people who have more skills than he does (Alan Civil for example: doh to realise it
          he lacks any humility or respect for those who make his music happen
          and encourages myths about musicking which encourage willful ignorance

I do find it really puzzling, most musicians when encountering musicians from other worlds are intrigued enough to want to find out about it BUT he seems totally oblivious and insists that HIS way is somehow the only way to be......

I know "most" people think he is great but I don't buy it....

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

It is

But someone who has spent his entire life working in studios with other musicians who are reading off parts and the supposed "composer" of this music pretends that he has NO understanding of what they are doing is bullshit

Music IS many things
            but McCartney's music relies on other people who have more skills than he does (Alan Civil for example: doh to realise it
            he lacks any humility or respect for those who make his music happen
            and encourages myths about musicking which encourage willful ignorance

I do find it really puzzling, most musicians when encountering musicians from other worlds are intrigued enough to want to find out about it BUT he seems totally oblivious and insists that HIS way is somehow the only way to be......

I know "most" people think he is great but I don't buy it....
            I'm curious about the process - I knew he didn't read or write music.... so when it says he's "writing" a musical, I take it he's humming a tune, and relying on others to notate it, harmonise, orchestrate/write instrumental parts?.... Lee Hall (it says here) received some "demos" - so does he sing and play by ear - on the piano? - and record the result?

Collins defines the word naff as meaning very unfashionable or unsophisticated, Merriam-Webster as lacking in style or good taste : vulgar and unfashionable, the Urban Dictionary as uncool, tacky, unfashionable, worthless.. Naff would seem (to me) perfectly to describe the exercise of making a musical out of this film/story, the original being sentimental enough without the addition of a load of cheesy songs - they would be cheesy, wouldn't they, knowing PMcC? . For what it's worth, I'm with MrGG

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

you might be taking me too seriously

But he still is an arse

Did you actually READ what I (and Alpie) wrote ?

Or are you so in thrall to ignore anyone who questions his sainthood?

"Unreasonable" ? I don't think it makes any difference what I think anyway ...which is fine
              Who mentioned sainthood? I’m just trying to put a little balance in favour of someone whom, for some reason you intensely dislike.

Yes I have read what you and Alpie wrote - oh - and don’t call me chum!

Oh and I don’t believe for one moment that McC does not read music!

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Who mentioned sainthood? I’m just trying to put a little balance in favour of someone whom, for some reason you intensely dislike.

Yes I have read what you and Alpie wrote - oh - and don’t call me chum!

..... and I’m with cloughers - to me a man who has, by whatever means and with whatever help, composed, IMVVHO, some of the best tunes of my lifetime can’t be all bad .....

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  ..... and I’m with cloughers to me a man who has, by whatever means and with whatever help, composed some, IMVVHO, of the best tunes of my lifetime can’t be all bad .....
                  Eh? I thought this discussion was about Paul McCartney.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Why on earth should Mr McC's alleged inability to read/write music fluently and his alleged indifference/disregard (or whatever the complaints are) of the skills and invention of other musicians excite such vitriolic hatred. Gifted people are not always likeable in their professional life and if you don't like his songs ok, but please spare us the invective.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      Why on earth should Mr McC's alleged inability to read/write music fluently and his alleged indifference/disregard (or whatever the complaints are) of the skills and invention of other musicians excite such vitriolic hatred. Gifted people are not always likeable in their professional life and if you don't like his songs ok, but please spare us the invective.
                      Quite! If some of you can't play nicely together, then I shall have to call in Slade Prison's Officer Barraclough to calm things down...

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Eh? I thought this discussion was about Paul McCartney.
                        Note the IMVVHO good sir .....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

But he has claimed this on several occasions throughout his life, cloughie - why would he lie? (Irving Berlin was similarly non-literate.)

Paul McCartney admitted he was embarrassed about not being able to read music, but said, "We did some good stuff though."

And when such prominent figures make such public comments, it can have a terrible influence - people can persuade themselves that Music Literacy might be harmful to their "freedom of expression". A good teacher should gently point out that, whilst an exceptionally gifted Musician can come up with Yesterday without the benefit of knowing how to write it down, this very illiteracy will prevent their being able to develop such exceptional skills, and they end up producing The Liverpool Oratorio.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            But he has claimed this on several occasions throughout his life, cloughie - why would he lie? (Irving Berlin was similarly non-literate.)

Paul McCartney admitted he was embarrassed about not being able to read music, but said, "We did some good stuff though."

And when such prominent figures make such public comments, it can have a terrible influence - people can persuade themselves that Music Literacy might be harmful to their "freedom of expression". A good teacher should gently point out that, whilst an exceptionally gifted Musician can come up with Yesterday without the benefit of knowing how to write it down, this very illiteracy will prevent their being able to develop such exceptional skills, and they end up producing The Liverpool Oratorio.
                            I did say read music, not the same as having the more advanced skills of being able to write music! I think that Irving Berlin's limitation was being limited to writing in C but having an instrument to transpose a good tune that had come into his head!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

I did say read music, not the same as having the more advanced skills of being able to write music! I think that Irving Berlin's limitation was being limited to writing in C but having an instrument to transpose a good tune that had come into his head!
                              But he himself claims that he "cannot read Music" - that's the point.

IIRC, Berlin's piano skill was very limited (he had a special instrument manufactured with a lever that "enabled" him to change key as he was "playing"), and he could neither read, nor write Musical notation.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

People with real influence should be very careful about what they say.

And we should be very careful about the importance in the significance we place on their words.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X