X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Amazon pickups

A few years back I started using Amazon Prime - on a bit of an on/off basis - with a trial at first. Gradually the service sucked me in, firstly because of convenience, and secondly because there are actually a few videos/films which are available which are worth watching, which make it worth while.

I notice just now that in some locations there are options to do pickups. I think some other online stores sometimes charge extra for doing pickup rather than delivery to the home destination. One possible advantage of pickups versus delivery to home is that it might be easier rather than having to wait in, or miss the delivery.

Whether this is a real advantage might depend on whether one has friendly neighbours, or alternatively helpful delivery people.
    Tracked packages can be a real nuisance if they require a signature - and oddly it's not always possible to know whether a package is going to be tracked in that way or not. One item I ordered (not from Amazon) turned up unexpectedly and had to be signed for - which I wasn't expecting. It wasn't a problem, but it might have been if it had arrived at a different time. I shalln't elaborate on how some delivery people are more helpful than others.

Are the Amazon pickups useful for the reasons/circumstances I've outlined, and are they at no extra cost for Prime members?
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

I’m a prime member and use an Amazon pickup precisely for the reasons you mention. In my case it’s a set of lockers at a local petrol station. The way it works with lockers is that you get emailed a numerical code and barcode when the item is available for collection. When you go to collect you either enter the code, or scan the barcode, and the appropriate locker door then opens automatically.

The delivery is held usually for three days. If you don’t collect in the designated time the goods are returned to Amazon and your card credited.

Obviously there are are other pickup locations, but I prefer the lockers as there’s 24 hour access.

There’s no additional charge for Prime members.

It’s worth bearing in mind that purchases from third party sellers don’t usually allow pickup - presumably because they’re not using the Amazon delivery network.
    Steve

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Also worth noting is that not all items are rated by Amazon as suitable for pickup. If this is the case, they advise you of such as part of the ordering process. Beware of choosing a post office as a pickup location. It can take ages waiting in the usual queues there.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Steve - Thanks for the quick update. I might try those on another occasion. Today it was a case of the tail wagging the dog - I want a small item (to remove light bulbs) which is a cheap "add-on" item. I had to scour my Saved for Later list to find anything else I might currently want, in order to get the total to over £20. In the end I selected the LSO-Live Debussy Pelleas et Melisande DVD Audio + CDs which has been mentioned in these parts - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Debussy-P...gateway&sr=8-1

Bonkers having to do that - in order to buy this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1 - though having bought one of those before I know that it might work. If it doesn't, well that's just bad luck. The particular gadget can work very well indeed with the right knack, and on some lights - but I'm not sure if it'll work on the halogens in the downlighters which I'd like to replace with LEDs.

I just hope the package doesn't get sent round the houses, but it'll probably turn up.

Bryn - thanks for comment re post offices.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Since my mum disapproves quite vehemently about buying from amazon, I recently had to have a couple of books sent to a local postal depot. No issues involved, not added cost.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

The add-on item arrived today, as did the more expensive DVD-Audio which I used to fill up the order.

I noticed that it's possible to get up to the required £20 using only add-on items - which I didn't know before. Might help some people.

The wolfcraft 5499000 - Suction Cup for Halogen Lamps - which I really wanted turned out to do the job I wanted it for very quickly, though having got the bulb out from the downlighter (I just tried one at first) I noted that it's relatively low power 11W, and still going. It looks as though it contains mini fluorescent tubes. It doesn't light up quickly, but it doesn't get too hot either, so I've put it back. Newer replacements are LEDs, but for the amount of use these lights get, probably not worth doing right now. At least I now know I can get the lights out - which I'd never succeeded with before. The nifty gadget really did work.

I might try out the pickup points on a future occasion, but this time there hasn't been a need to do that.

Comment

Working...
            X