X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoctorT
    • Sep 2024

Claret Jug

Let's hear it for Darren Clarke, the 3rd major winner in 13 months from Northern Ireland, world capital of golf!
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
    Let's hear it for Darren Clarke, the 3rd major winner in 13 months from Northern Ireland, world capital of golf!
    Well done, Great Britain & N. Ireland, eh?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• PatrickOD

It's a time to be magnanimous, ff. Put away your tin hat.
      Great to see Darren Clarke hold the Claret Jug - the prize he values most.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes, very well done.

Comment

• scottycelt

Whilst I would take great issue with NI being the 'world capital of golf' .. .. I also congratulate DC on achieving yet another magnificent triumph for his country in this, the sport of gentlemen (and, er, ladies as well, of course) ... he too seems such a genuinely nice young man .. :cool2:

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            Whilst I would take great issue with NI being the 'world capital of golf' .. .. I also congratulate DC on achieving yet another magnificent triumph for his country in this, the sport of gentlemen (and, er, ladies as well, of course) ... he too seems such a genuinely nice young man .. :cool2:
            What about NI being the 'contemporary world capital of golf', scotty?

Comment

• PatrickOD

Aw shucks scotty and amateur! Nice to see a Scot and a Welshman discussing the prowess of the wee North. I couldn't possibly comment on the issue, except to say that I draw the line at a headline spotted this morning - Land of Open Glory.

Comment

• DoctorT

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                I would take great issue with NI being the 'world capital of golf' .. :grr
                And Scotland's last major winner was....?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                  And Scotland's last major winner was....?
                  Paul Lawrie, who was the last BRITISH winner of the Open away back last century in 1999 ... I remember it well. :cool2:

Comment

• DoctorT

I remember it too Scotty. Like Mr Clarke. Mr Lawrie could play in wind and rain. A better question might have been: 'And Scotland's next winner of a major will be...?' (When it happens he may be Scottish and not British!)

Comment

Working...
                    X