X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I mentioned 'outreach' in #50. I know that Ex Cathedra does excellent work of this kind. Is there something in the air in Birmingham?

Transforming the lives of children through music has been a key part of the work of choir Ex Cathedra.

Comment

• Zucchini
      • Nov 2010

In that part of Birmingham, yes. (Ex Cathedra & Jeffrey Skidmore live in / rent part of the handsome CBSO Centre!)
      Last edited by Zucchini; 17-06-19, 16:11.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        MrGG, I think you’re being a bit unreasonable. You are in a position to make a difference in that you are directly involved via your work. Doversoul isn’t directly involved, but it doesn’t mean she cannot express an opinion on the matter.

We are all on the same side here.
        I don't think we are all on the "same side" though (not that Doversoul is necessarily on the other "side")
        I'm tired of having to argue for participation in music being part of education against many so-called "music lovers" who are quite happy to see it disappear as long as they get to keep the music they like.

Would you like to have my opinion about the offside rule ?

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          Yeah yeah we heard you
          So what are YOU going to do about the way that music is being systematically removed from education ?
          I know what I'm doing
          But sitting on your sofa sniping helps no one

and I don't live in any "bubble"

BUT do spend much of my time in the world that this school is going to be situated in

Opening a post 16 college will exclude those pupils who don't already do music

The CBSO isn't planning to "run" a school
          My foot was caught when I pulled out. Here’s what I said before I pulled out:

If CBSO has such resource, it could expand/extend its work with schools and as an addition, open a post-16 music college for those who want to continue their musical education. The college can collaborate with the schools in the area in many ways without undermining the local community.

Now I am out.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            I don't think we are all on the "same side" though (not that Doversoul is necessarily on the other "side")
            I'm tired of having to argue for participation in music being part of education against many so-called "music lovers" who are quite happy to see it disappear as long as they get to keep the music they like.

Would you like to have my opinion about the offside rule ?
            I understand that, but I'm not sure that's actually what's being discussed or expressed here? I'm in the "music for all in education" camp, having benefited myself, and my children also before it all started to fall apart. I for one think the CBSO proposal is an excellent idea and hope that it achieves what is being hoped. My main concern is to do with the impact that the parlous state of the education system may have on realising the aims. For instance, if there is no/inadequate money for classroom support or individual pupil support then there will be those who miss out on the opportunity provided. The BBC2 documentary series on schools in South Glos a few months ago highlighted the disproportionate extent to which disadvantaged pupils are hit by funding difficulties. The CBSO input can offset the lack of funding for provision of tuition etc, but I wonder to what extent it will be able to cover the level of pupil support that might be required to enable inclusive access?
            There is an issue with one school having such a marvellous opportunity when so many will not even have basics, but I'm of the view that that is not a reason for not doing it.Whether it is done or not won't change the current government mindset on education, but at least if it goes ahead there might be a few hundred future citizens whose horizons might be extended more than would otherwise be the case, and who is to say they shouldn't have that chance?

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
              My foot was caught when I pulled out. Here’s what I said before I pulled out:

If CBSO has such resource, it could expand/extend its work with schools and as an addition, open a post-16 music college for those who want to continue their musical education. The college can collaborate with the schools in the area in many ways without undermining the local community.

Now I am out.
              So, create a post 16 college for all of those who have already had the chance to study music?
              One of my current "missions" is to make any resources and materials produced for music teachers accessible to youngsters who might stumble across them even if they go to one of an increasing number of schools that don't do any music.

Your idea simply does nothing for those who happen to go to a school with no music and who don't have parents who are enthusiastic.

One can only "continue" with something that one has started

My views on the offside rule are as useful (not that I have any idea at all what it is ?)

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

If CBSO has such resource, it could expand/extend its work with schools and as an addition, open a post-16 music college for those who want to continue their musical education.
                Gongers, I think we'd both pick up on the same point here. The academy (I think I read) will start taking Year 7 pupils, who may have had no musical opportunities at all (it's also taking in Year 12 students who may likewise arrive having had very little tuition). But the academy system allows the Year 7s to move up the school gradually increasing their knowledge and expertise - precisely what would NOT happen if they joined at 16+. Imagine an ongoing situation where eventually 870 Sandwell children have left school having had at least 5 years of excellent music tuition. Does that 'undermine' the community?

But this is a bit like [a bit like]the public transport argument: is one single train every hour better than a fleet of (diesel!) buses. The one train will carry the same number of people more efficiently and doing less damage.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Imagine an ongoing situation where eventually 870 Sandwell children have left school having had at least 5 years of excellent music tuition.
                  In my 23 years a classroom teacher, I did all I could to ensure this. The schools were well run under LEA control and there was healthy, but friendly competition from the neighbourhood schools. The CBSO project is a worthy attempt to compensate for the shocking demise of music education, created by recent government policies.

Comment

Working...
                  X