X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    I've been saying for years that politeness can sometimes (NOT always !!) be simply an encouragement to the objectionable. There are plenty of folks who put on the veneer of respectability whilst carrying out appalling things or empowering hatred. The idea that somehow getting angry or being rude means you have "lost" the argument really is nonsense.
    While agreeing with you (this time!) as regards politicians being soft-pedalled in interviews, I'm not at all sure that interruptions help towards exposing them, since one only gets part of what they might be given to say! I want to hear the trash the public is being fed by such people, not to be informed of the inabilities of the interviewer to retain what has been said in his or her head, or the insufficient time being allowed for the interview because of some topical irrelevancy that is to follow. One consequence of an interviewer blowing his or her top is that the only thing one takes on board is the tantrum! One of the finest examples of a politician being skewered was a carefully measured Robin Day interview of Thatcher, shown on the excellent series currently on BBC2, which everyone should watch. (Final episode 9pm next Monday of Thatcher: A very British Revolution - 5/5 Downfall). Then when people one meets come up with misinformation I can say, "You're only saying that because you got half the story on [name of programme] last night".

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      While agreeing with you (this time!) as regards politicians being soft-pedalled in interviews, I'm not at all sure that interruptions help towards exposing them, since one only gets part of what they might be given to say! I want to hear the trash the public is being fed by such people, not to be informed of the inabilities of the interviewer to retain what has been said in his or her head, or the insufficient time being allowed for the interview because of some topical irrelevancy that is to follow. One consequence of an interviewer blowing his or her top is that the only thing one takes on board is the tantrum! One of the finest examples of a politician being skewered was a carefully measured Robin Day interview of Thatcher, shown on the excellent series currently on BBC2, which everyone should watch. (Final episode 9pm next Monday of Thatcher: A very British Revolution - 5/5 Downfall). Then when people one meets come up with misinformation I can say, "You're only saying that because you got half the story on [name of programme] last night".
      I hear what you say (sorry for the cliche ) but I don't think most people are able to distinguish between "theatre" and "reality".
      When people are allowed to get away with lying (how much for the NHS ? how many Bulgarians?) without being immediately challenged the lie sticks and becomes believed.

I don't think most people weigh up the pros and cons and reach decisions based on evidence (not that they ever did in the past either).

More media studies is what is probably needed

Or this

Last edited by MrGongGong; 15-06-19, 18:45.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

"What is it about Boris Johnson? We know the problems he's experienced over the years" - this, in a totally unctuous, non-ironic tone of voice, from that comedian of a politician interviewer John Humphrys, at precisely 8.56 this morning on the well-misnamed Toady programme. I noted it down as soon as it had been said. Earlier he had "interviewed" Emily Thornberry - not somebody I have a special liking for, which is not what politicians are for; but this was more spokesman for the prosecution conducting a cross-examination in court than devil's advocate, by comparison with the end-of-programme Boris soft pedalment, in which - and I was noting this as it proceeded - she gave straight unambiguous answers on Corbyn's querying as to whether Iran was involved in the oil tanker torpedoings in the Straits of Hormuz, and Humphrys kept coming back demanding answers to the same questions, as if, one can only conclude, to trip her up on some misplaced indefinite article that would have her forever condemned - Thornberry "As I've now said three or four times..." She remained diginfied where I would probably have shouted, "Why aren't you LISTENING?!"

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Thing is, we all need our eyes wide open all the time. We live in bizarre times, where political honesty is at a premium.
          But it it is not just extremists and those with obvious personal interests who turn the facts inside out and upside down

Blair , the darling of the liberal media, raised the bar spectacularly over Iraq, and has failed utterly to acknowledge his part in the issues caused by his government’s cavalier attitude to the entry of the A8 countries, whilst encouraging other politicians to try to get the self same controls that he himself failed to use when they were available.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Thing is, we all need our eyes wide open all the time. We live in bizarre times, where political honesty is at a premium.
            But it it is not just extremists and those with obvious personal interests who turn the facts inside out and upside down

Blair , the darling of the liberal media, raised the bar spectacularly over Iraq, and has failed utterly to acknowledge his part in the issues caused by his government’s cavalier attitude to the entry of the A8 countries, whilst encouraging other politicians to try to get the self same controls that he himself failed to use when they were available.

I agree with many who say he should be up before the Hague.

"Don't be vague, demand The Hague"

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I hear what you say (sorry for the cliche ) but I don't think most people are able to distinguish between "theatre" and "reality".
              When people are allowed to get away with lying (how much for the NHS ? how many Bulgarians?) without being immediately challenged the lie sticks and becomes believed.

I don't think most people weigh up the pros and cons and reach decisions based on evidence (not that they ever did in the past either).

More media studies is what is probably needed

Or this

https://newsthump.com/2017/06/09/let...n835OCDvlOLH28
              Sadly I think for a lot of folk choosing which broadcaster's version of the news to watch(and then sticking with it - 'oh I only watch the news on channel XYZ, the others are always so biased') constitutes weighing up the pros and cons - or at least that's the impression I get from casual conversations when the subject arises.

Comment

Working...
              X