• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Very good. Just as well I used that spelling though isn't it, rather than the American version which appeared on several of the links(despite them being UK) when I was confirming my information was up to date. "Check" wouldn't have worked really would it?
    Which reminds me that the late Robert Maxwell was referred to as the Bouncing Czech.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

The electric kettle packed up this afternoon, and gave me an electric shock when I tried investigating by repeatedly switching the on/off switch. I thought it had a few days ago, and got it working after replacing the plug fuse. However there was nothing wrong with original fuse. I expect water has leaked through the base and into the wiring underneath. I keep these appliances well de-scaled, so why they are not better sealed internally is something manufacturers should address.

I am quite annoyed by this. The kettle is just three years old, and was recommended by one of the shop assistants saying she had bought this particular model and it had lasted three years, which at the point of purchase seemed reasonable until I checked the previous kettle details and found I had had it for five years! I've never liked this kettle: it was (a) the only model on sale at the supermarket; (b) expensive; (c) heavy even when empty; and (d) took longer to heat than the series of previous kettles I had owned. Prior visits to other shops had suggested that electric kettles were at least doubled in price from the last time I had purchased one. A friend visits tomorrow morning. before I have a chance to get a replacement, so I will be forced to heat water for coffee in a saucepan.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The electric kettle packed up this afternoon, and gave me an electric shock when I tried investigating by repeatedly switching the on/off switch. I thought it had a few days ago, and got it working after replacing the plug fuse. However there was nothing wrong with original fuse. I expect water has leaked through the base and into the wiring underneath. I keep these appliances well de-scaled, so why they are not better sealed internally is something manufacturers should address.

I am quite annoyed by this. The kettle is just three years old, and was recommended by one of the shop assistants saying she had bought this particular model and it had lasted three years, which at the point of purchase seemed reasonable until I checked the previous kettle details and found I had had it for five years! I've never liked this kettle: it was (a) the only model on sale at the supermarket; (b) expensive; (c) heavy even when empty; and (d) took longer to heat than the series of previous kettles I had owned. Prior visits to other shops had suggested that electric kettles were at least doubled in price from the last time I had purchased one. A friend visits tomorrow morning. before I have a chance to get a replacement, so I will be forced to heat water for coffee in a saucepan.
        Get yourself a cheap and cheerful spare.
        Light but low(ish) wattage, so fairly slow to boil.
        We keep it in the garage but it's handy there for workmen to use when they've been doing work on the garden/patio.

Buy Cookworks WK8321 New Basic Kettle - White at Argos. Thousands of products for same day delivery, or fast store collection.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

In my experience, you're doing well if any electric kettle lasts longer than two years. A Breville kettle I bought for £40 did no better, while the replacement I then bought for around the same amount, lasted less than three months when the lid, on being opened one morning, had bits flying everywhere. Despite that, the weak point of these kettles is almost always the usually somewhat flimsy switch that you press to turn it on.

Like Pulcinella, I've now got a cheap replacement for when my current model packs in.

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Maclintick
            • Jan 2012

Unfortunately I have found through bitter experience that buying what one might consider a premium-priced product does not ensure either (a) any better performance or (b) extra longevity. During covid, when such things were allowed, we set up a self-contained area for our workmen, with their own biscuits, tea making facilities etc. The kettle in this area, which was extremely moderately priced, has lasted better than the more expensive model in our kitchen.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I have ended up resorting to heating up water in the faithful old microwave, which takes no longer than did the kettle - a couple of minutes. Silly not to think of this earlier.

Comment

Working...
              X