Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find an ATM which dispenses anything other than £20 notes. Apparently the closure of yet another bank here has led to increased use of the remaining local ATMs and the rapid exhaustion of their stock of £10 notes.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find an ATM which dispenses anything other than £20 notes. Apparently the closure of yet another bank here has led to increased use of the remaining local ATMs and the rapid exhaustion of their stock of £10 notes.
      When I was still using my debit card for supermarket shopping it became increasingly difficult to get £5 notes as cash back. Sometimes there would be plenty in the till but more often than not just a couple which they had to hang on to apparently. For various reasons I started using my credit card for such transactions so couldn't use cashback and then found that the ATMs had also stopped issuing £5 notes, so now I take advantage of the fact that we still have actual banks in town(although as of spring this year 2 fewer than before) and get cash from the counter when I'm doing errands.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

When I was still using my debit card for supermarket shopping it became increasingly difficult to get £5 notes as cash back. Sometimes there would be plenty in the till but more often than not just a couple which they had to hang on to apparently. For various reasons I started using my credit card for such transactions so couldn't use cashback and then found that the ATMs had also stopped issuing £5 notes, so now I take advantage of the fact that we still have actual banks in town(although as of spring this year 2 fewer than before) and get cash from the counter when I'm doing errands.
        We've lost 2 banks this year and are left with just 3, which is not many for a town with a population now that is now more than 25,000 and scheduled to increase fairly rapidly in the next few years.. Even though the Nationwide has promised to keep branches open until at least 2028, I now pop into our local branch more often than previously because, apart from the Post Office, it's the only place where I can be pretty confident of getting hold of some fivers.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

All banks gradually closed in our smallish town in North Wilts. Earlier this year they opened a "banking hub" in the same building as the Post Office where each of the major banks appears for one day a week. In my case I seem to be able to do everything I need to do via the banking app from my sofa - including scanning in cheques and have never had reason to use the hub but have heard that works well for people who need it.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            All banks gradually closed in our smallish town in North Wilts. Earlier this year they opened a "banking hub" in the same building as the Post Office where each of the major banks appears for one day a week. In my case I seem to be able to do everything I need to do via the banking app from my sofa - including scanning in cheques and have never had reason to use the hub but have heard that works well for people who need it.
            Our local Community Transport service (run by volunteers for elder citizens with limited mobility or no transport of their own) charges £5 for a return journey anywhere in the town, hence the need for a supply of fivers!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

This just strikes me as typical of the manner in which banks and other institutions now treat those at the bottom of society who may not even have as much as a tenner in their bank accounts.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

My impression, from having used the local banking hub to cash a cheque, is that, not surprisingly, post office counter staff resent the additional burden. You won't be getting your helpful smiling person any more, just be thankful!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

We've lost 2 banks this year and are left with just 3, which is not many for a town with a population now that is now more than 25,000 and scheduled to increase fairly rapidly in the next few years.
                  I live in a large city and it takes the best part of an hour to get to a bank, and the same time to get home. The Coop's ATM is the best bet. Before it closed, Lloyds bank had three seperate ATMs, one of which dispensed fivers.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

My impression, from having used the local banking hub to cash a cheque, is that, not surprisingly, post office counter staff resent the additional burden. You won't be getting your helpful smiling person any more, just be thankful!
                    Are there two different versions of bank services through the PO though? It's long been possible to do basic bank transactions at PO counters, and I can imagine that with so many bank branches having closed in recent years that has put pressure on PO staff. However if banks operate a pop-up branch in the same building that wouldn't involve the PO staff?

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Are there two different versions of bank services through the PO though? It's long been possible to do basic bank transactions at PO counters, and I can imagine that with so many bank branches having closed in recent years that has put pressure on PO staff. However if banks operate a pop-up branch in the same building that wouldn't involve the PO staff?
                      There's a sign outside our local Spar shop listing the services offered by the Post Office (which inhabits one corner of it) and the list includes 'Basic Banking', although I'm not sure what that covers.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

There's a sign outside our local Spar shop listing the services offered by the Post Office (which inhabits one corner of it) and the list includes 'Basic Banking', although I'm not sure what that covers.
                        Paying in cash or cheques, withdrawing cash, getting a balance, usually.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

What's a cheque?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            What's a cheque?
                            Neighbour of a slovaque.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Neighbour of a slovaque.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Neighbour of a slovaque.
                                Very good. Just as well I used that spelling though isn't it, rather than the American version which appeared on several of the links(despite them being UK) when I was confirming my information was up to date. "Check" wouldn't have worked really would it?

Comment

Working...
                                X