X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    We had a spate of these absolutely pointless surveys (so bad that I actually wrote back and queried the premise of some of the questions, and got an email of thanks back), but we took the money (and in one instance a shopping bag), though I think it was only £10.

Have some fun: fill it in and respond as absurdly as you think fit to their ridiculous question!
    The voucher is on a separate A6-sized card with instructions on how to apply online or by phone for it. I'll wait and see if anybody contacts me by phone before deciding whether or not to go for it.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Article in today's Observer about empty schools : "The Rookhope primary school in Weardale, off the Northumberland coast..." - honestly!!

Why can't metropolitan journalists check their facts before writing this crap - Rookhope is in inland County Durham and is about 52km from the nearest point on the Northumberland Coast (Seaton Sluice) as the crow flies!
      Well it isn't on the coast so it must be off it... But yes, an odd mistake to make, and to leave in situ.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Article in today's Observer about empty schools : "The Rookhope primary school in Weardale, off the Northumberland coast..." - honestly!!

Why can't metropolitan journalists check their facts before writing this crap - Rookhope is in inland County Durham and is about 52km from the nearest point on the Northumberland Coast (Seaton Sluice) as the crow flies!
        it’s as if we don’t exist OG

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          it’s as if we don’t exist OG
          They were perhaps meaning 'Northumbrian' = the NE of England?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post

They were perhaps meaning 'Northumbrian' = the NE of England?
            Possibly, it is a mistake that is often made (confusing Northumberland with Northumbria).

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Possibly, it is a mistake that is often made (confusing Northumberland with Northumbria).
              Whether Northumberland or Northumbrian isn't the point though - it's the fact that Rookhope is well inland so it can't be off the coast(which would also suggest it's an island) whether that is the Northumberland one or the Northumbrian one.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Whether Northumberland or Northumbrian isn't the point though - it's the fact that Rookhope is well inland so it can't be off the coast(which would also suggest it's an island) whether that is the Northumberland one or the Northumbrian one.
                Indeed!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Whether Northumberland or Northumbrian isn't the point though
                  I thought it was one of the two points? One mistake was placing Rookhope in Northumberland rather than County Durham; the other was whether it could be described as "off the coast" of anywhere. Northumbrian would have been all right. Off the coast is irredeemable.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I thought it was one of the two points? One mistake was placing Rookhope in Northumberland rather than County Durham; the other was whether it could be described as "off the coast" of anywhere. Northumbrian would have been all right. Off the coast is irredeemable.
                    Irremediable were it true, too!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Irremediable were it true, too!
                      ...."too"?....I'm intrigued for the matters needing to be linked, and this linkage being impossible to cure.................................. well on the way to a situation that might be irredeemable....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

...."too"?....I'm intrigued for the matters needing to be linked, and this linkage being impossible to cure.................................. well on the way to a situation that might be irredeemable....
                        Simple-(minded) word-play, eighth, simple as that. Afterwards it did then occur to me that rescuing Rookhope from under the North Sea waves would actually be, you know....

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Simple-(minded) word-play, eighth, simple as that. Afterwards it did then occur to me that rescuing Rookhope from under the North Sea waves would actually be, you know....
                          That reminds me of the review of a book about Dunwich in which a single incorrect letter caused amusement and some panic in a certain part of South London noted for its gallery.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

That reminds me of the review of a book about Dunwich in which a single incorrect letter caused amusement and some panic in a certain part of South London noted for its gallery.
                            Ah YES! - the Dull Witch Picture Gallery, as I call it.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Ah YES! - the Dull Witch Picture Gallery, as I call it.
                              Be careful what you witch for...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Be careful what you witch for...

Comment

Working...
                                X