Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

I was interested to read your post, just as I was starting to think that life would be easier if I gave in to the flow and bought a smartphone and started conforming, as 'they' clearly want us all to do . A bus has just gone past with a big advert on the side 'Get the NHS app!' . Yes , so they don't have the trouble of seeing me personally .

But there are just as many horror stories on the other side, from what I hear. Once you've committed yourself to doig everything on-line, comes the awful day when it just won't switch on; the frustration can bring one to apoplexy. So I'm going to keep my options open as long as I can. .

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I was interested to read your post, just as I was starting to think that life would be easier if I gave in to the flow and bought a smartphone and started conforming, as 'they' clearly want us all to do . A bus has just gone past with a big advert on the side 'Get the NHS app!' . Yes , so they don't have the trouble of seeing me personally .

But there are just as many horror stories on the other side, from what I hear. Once you've committed yourself to doig everything on-line, comes the awful day when it just won't switch on; the frustration can bring one to apoplexy. So I'm going to keep my options open as long as I can. .
      A few months ago, I decided to 'get the NHS app' and got almost to the end of the process. You have to supply a photograph of yourself but every time I tried to do this it was rejected because it didn't fit the size criteria. After numerous attempts, all rejected, I gave up in frustration and decided I didn't need the NHS app at all.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It's how language works over the centuries: with time irregularities tend to become regular. Look out for teached and catched.
        "We called him Tortoise because he taught us", the Mock-Turtle said to Alice. But for as long as I can remember people have pronounced tortoise the way it is spelled.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

"We called him Tortoise because he taught us", the Mock-Turtle said to Alice. But for as long as I can remember people have pronounced tortoise the way it is spelled.
          ... not any people that I know!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

A few months ago, I decided to 'get the NHS app' and got almost to the end of the process. You have to supply a photograph of yourself but every time I tried to do this it was rejected because it didn't fit the size criteria. After numerous attempts, all rejected, I gave up in frustration and decided I didn't need the NHS app at all.
            "Upstairs" had precisely this problem when trying to re-new his passport a few months ago. He had the photograph he had taken of himself continually rejected as not being bright or clear enough, wrong background, or some ridiculous pretext along those lines. Eventually he got me to photograph him, using his very snazzy camera (or so I thought), with the same result, even when positioned in bright sunlight. He was fast giving up on going abroad in despair. Eventually he managed to procure an acceptable photo, taken using a camera owned by his next door neighbour. I myself had photos taken in a photo booth in the local Sainsbury's accepted for a replacement free travel card; I think they set me back £12! - I've no idea what could have possibly been wrong with his.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Yes I did the same....I also tried to follow the pathway for those who do not have smart phones and my dyslexic mind failed to comprehend what was necessary _ (Ah yes it was something about going to your GP practise and getting an identification....)
              bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

As did I ! I renew my prescriptions online via a very efficient pharmacy in Leeds who keep me constantly up to date about the progress of my order. My medication, which is Post Office-tracked, pops through my letter box 2 days after I've placed the order.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

I have NHS app and it is very useful.

I don't remember having to upload a photo, but I have probably forgotten as I have had the app a while.

Er indoors has opened an account for a storage unit. She was asked to upload a photo of her driving licence (or other photo ID) which was not accepted (too much glare). She challenged the providers who said it's alright we've seen you in person. Quite why photo ID was requested for such a contract we don't know - I wondered whether it was something to do with money laundering/ stolen goods etc.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Further non-progress on the BBC Sounds front. Went and did gardening and other things, then spent spent some time dealing with the backlog of updates on the device,which did speed things up a bit, so tried the account process again. All completed, click Register and wait....and wait.....and wait. Basically the registration didn't happen, but no indication as to why. Have spent a great deal of time going round in circles through the supposed help pages and options to no avail(not least as neither of the 2 support options that were supposed to appear did so) so decided to send a complaint. Another tedious process(the device may be a bit quicker but it's still s-l-o-w) - and guess what - it won't complete the process. All the details and a brief summary of my difficulty, all the contact info etc etc, but it won't submit the form. So, the BBC doesn't wish to communicate with me - but won't say why. The stupid thing is that even if it all goes through it still might not solve my problem of not being able to listen to music on Sounds - it's just an option I'm trying as from what I can remember the sound was OK for general purposes, but might not be now for what I want.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                      I have NHS app and it is very useful.

I don't remember having to upload a photo, but I have probably forgotten as I have had the app a while.
                      Ditto, save that I have certainly never been asked for a photo.

It’s seamlessly effective for repeat prescriptions

No grumbles here. Apologies for off-thread post
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

Yes I did the same....I also tried to follow the pathway for those who do not have smart phones and my dyslexic mind failed to comprehend what was necessary _ (Ah yes it was something about going to your GP practise and getting an identification....)
                        I don't know if this is of any use to you 8thO

It all seems rather convoluted, and there also seems to be a certain amount of parallel but not equivalent online access going on, which may be the result of "grandfather rights" - if registration was made some time ago then it is still valid but if new applications are made then there is the photo hurdle to cross or circumnavigate. I can access my GP surgery services and various bits of my medical records online using the registration I got years ago, pre universal smartphone possession(for which I had to make a written request and then wait several weeks until the head GP got round to considering the request and ordering a letter with details as to how to register), so all of the things listed as possible in that NHS blurb, except possibly online 111 access. Making appointments online has always been a lottery - mostly OK for things like regular clinics or check-ups, but hasn't been available for GP appointments for years.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Ditto, save that I have certainly never been asked for a photo.

It’s seamlessly effective for repeat prescriptions

No grumbles here. Apologies for off-thread post
                          My experience is the same. I just have to cut and paste my password from elsewhere each time - at which a little pop-up appears confirming (to whom?) that that's what I've just done. I have more problems with my new Tesco app, but for a £1 off a decent enough wine it's probably worth having to ask the assistant to help me each time [grumble, grumble].
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

As did I ! I renew my prescriptions online via a very efficient pharmacy in Leeds who keep me constantly up to date about the progress of my order. My medication, which is Post Office-tracked, pops through my letter box 2 days after I've placed the order.
                            I can’t be bothered, so I print out a request for my prescription, drive a few miles to put it in the box at the surgery, then try to collect the prescription ia few days later. Sometimes it’s there - sometimes it’s gone to another pharmacy. I have also tried dropping repeat prescriptions back at the pharmacy, but that then appears to take longer as the method seems -as far as I can tell- to be that the paper is transferred back to the surgery- about eight miles away- then a doctor reviews and signs it - then the paperwork is returned back to the pharmacy a day or two later. I often check with a phone call to see if the paperwork or meds have arrived at the pharmacy, with about a 60% success rate.

Both the pharmacy and the surgery have computers which “know” about my prescription, but automating the authorisation process up here in the wilds seems a challenge too far.

I don’t really mind too much, as it keeps me active and provides employment to van drivers, and I get to talk to people!

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post

My experience is the same. I just have to cut and paste my password from elsewhere each time - at which a little pop-up appears confirming (to whom?) that that's what I've just done. I have more problems with my new Tesco app, but for a £1 off a decent enough wine it's probably worth having to ask the assistant to help me each time [grumble, grumble].
                              I went for the "remember me" option as I'm the only one using the PC(and the only person in the household) and if someone hacks into that then I've arguably got bigger problems than if my medical record can be accessed. The password was so convoluted to set up(10 characters, mostly not letters, it took ages to get a combination that was accepted) and I only use it very occasionally so entering it from scratch just took too long.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Smartphone access to NHS app can also be via fingerprint detection or facial recognition.

Comment

Working...
                                X