• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Only sometimes!
    Clearly the gremlins in my keyboard - though nowadays I find that something in the computer does change what I type. Very annoying - grumble, grumble ....

Probably was my typing in the shoes reference, though. Darn it - just did it again. Hopefully corrected to what I meant to reply.
    I always check my massages to make shore their properly spelt!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

'Relacing' suggests that somebody's having trouble putting their shoes on.
      That person must live in Notts then.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

That person must live in Notts then.
        Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was tied up.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I always check my massages to make shore their properly spelt!
          I sea wot you mean flour!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

We were doing irregular verbs with the Year 5s yesterday, and 'spell' came into the 'occasionally' category, but it took me a long time to think of an example where I'd use spelled instead of spelt, and indeed I couldn't.
            Back home though, my partner immediately suggested one: The teacher spelled the word incorrectly!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              it took me a long time to think of an example where I'd use spelled instead of spelt
              Dreamed-dreamt, leaped-leapt, spelled-spelt: we're not that particular.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

I see 'wreaked' instead of 'wrought' a lot these days (as in "he wreaked havoc").

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  I see 'wreaked' instead of 'wrought' a lot these days (as in "he wreaked havoc").
                  It's how language works over the centuries: with time irregularities tend to become regular. Look out for teached and catched.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

Not to mention 'horrour' and 'authentick'.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... wreaked havoc is 'correct' (whatever that may mean) - wreaked is the past tense of wreak; wrought is the (one of the ) past tense(s) of work, eg wrought iron, overwrought.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Dreamed-dreamt, leaped-leapt, spelled-spelt: we're not that particular.
                        ... tho' they may have different meanings - bereaved is not the same as bereft, any more than hung is the same as hanged...

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Thort u mite!

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

Thanks, vinteuil. I had always assumed 'wrought' was the past tense of 'wreak'. No wonder English is difficult. I sympathise with those learning to pronounce 'cough, bough, though, through, and enough'.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Thanks, vinteuil. I had always assumed 'wrought' was the past tense of 'wreak'. No wonder English is difficult. I sympathise with those learning to pronounce 'cough, bough, though, through, and enough'.
                              As demonstrated by the "ghoti pronounced fish" puzzle.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

As some forumites will be aware I am singularly lacking on the gadgets front and so can't access the delights of catch-up. However over breakfast I had a brainwave - as I thought. Many years ago I bought an HP netbook as a stopgap and backup for my PC, which was starting to become unreliable at a time when I was having to deal remotely with my mother's affairs. Once the PC was eventually replaced I had no occasion to use it except briefly about 8 years ago. Long story short it took a long time this morning to get it to the point where I could search for BBC Sounds and register - as I thought. As I rather expected the website is full of superfluous rubbish which makes a very slow device even slower, but then I was faced with registration pages that are a picture wall over skinny text - such that I couldn't see what I was supposed to be filling in and what to click on to get to the next stage... Even if I was doing that on my PC I would have struggled to decipher it. Why was it felt necessary to put up pictures - not even of any relevance, just there to make the page look hip and happening and mindful of diversity tickboxes in my jaundiced view.
                                I spent close to 90 minutes getting the device up and working(most of it waiting for a response admittedly), and then about 45 minutes trying to decipher the registration form and wait for the website and the device to decide whether they would cooperate on the age response, email address and password entries.When I cleared that hurdle and was faced with a list of questions starting with DOB and gender I gave up. The sun is shining, the garden needs attention and life's too short to be doing intrusive questionnaires on an excruciatingly slow device. I think the speed issue can be improved; although it never was especially fast even when new I suspect that there are updates that need dealing with.That will require discussion with my son which will take time, but that still leaves the Beeb's profiling demands issue to be addressed.
                                This digital age isn't for me...

Comment

Working...
                                X