X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

You certainly used to be able to get plastic lids to cover cans of pet food that had been partially used.
    A quick search reveals various options for pet food covers.

Lakeland is the sort of place that usually has nifty kitchen devices...

...but not in this instance it would seem
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 01-10-24, 18:46. Reason: Edi

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

A quick search reveals various options for pet food covers.

Lakeland is the sort of place that usually has nifty kitchen devices...

...but not in this instance it would seem
      My search also came up with lots of amazon links for human food tin can covers. There isn't any reason though why the petfood ones wouldn't work - and some of them have nifty tabs on which would make it easier to get the lid off.
      However it's worth pointing out that the standard advice(which appears on tin labels) is to decant any unused portion of the contents from the tin into a glass or plastic container to prevent reaction between the food and the metal. I believe that is less of an issue than it used to be as many tins now have a lining(more plastic?), but that could be why searches are top heavy on petfood covers. Apparently such considerations don't extend to people's furry friends...
      I always decant except for evap milk which just has two holes punched in the lid for pouring; inconsistent, but a combination of upbringing and an idea that milk is not likely to attack metal in the same way as, for instance, tinned tomatoes.

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

You've just reminded me that I have never used a milk jug, though I often see some very attractive ones. I pour out the milk from its carton and put that back in the fridge. This keeps the remaining milk refrigerated, though perhaps some lingering 1960s middle-class snobbery prevents me from putting it on the table, once as reliable a sign of plebeian status as not using a napkin nor saying grace.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          You've just reminded me that I have never used a milk jug, though I often see some very attractive ones. I pour out the milk from its carton and put that back in the fridge. This keeps the remaining milk refrigerated, though perhaps some lingering 1960s middle-class snobbery prevents me from putting it on the table, once as reliable a sign of plebeian status as not using a napkin nor saying grace.
          There's nowt wrong with a bit of lingering 1960s middle-class snobbery, lad!

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

See https://www.theroyalbutler.co.uk/post/napkin-etiquette for jumped up snobbery!

I was unaware that throwing ** things on the floor is/was acceptable ...!!!

**Maybe not "throwing", but "placing".

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

My mother and grandparents would not allow milk bottles on the table...

...of course as soon as I moved away as a student I put milk bottles on the table and have done ever since!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                . Yep, that looks like a website to definitely avoid!

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

I think most of the supermarkets sell stretchable silicon lids which can be used to cover any pots of yoghurt, hummus, etc that have only been partially used. As these are designed to stretch to fit the container, they could also be used to cover tins of pet food. They can also be used instead of clingfilm to reduce plastic use even further.

Old Grumpy's favourite, Lakeland, also do them in sets of 6.

6 stretchy clear silicone food covers. Stretch to fit over most shapes and sizes. Create a leakproof, airtight seal. Help reduce food waste. Great alternative to single-use plastics. 6 sizes from 6.5 to 21cm Dia. See more Spend smart ideas.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Never seen them before...

...ah, the white heat of technology ​​​- never ceases to amaze!

Comment

• cria
                      • Jul 2022

Originally posted by LHC View Post

​​​​
                      Is that a boiled egg bottom left?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Do you actually mean "serviette"?

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cria View Post
                          Is that a boiled egg bottom left?
                          I think it might be a layered breakfast jar - those are raspberries on top. Designed to be posted on social media rather than being a sensible way to take breakfast to work or wherever, as the contents can't be mixed in situ, and in a jar that narrow and filled to the top just getting a spoon in would make for an overflow mess. Emptying the contents into a bowl means another item to carry or source and wash up, and inevitably makes for waste as stuff will get left on the sides of the jar and whatever it is decanted into.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

My mother and grandparents would not allow milk bottles on the table...

...of course as soon as I moved away as a student I put milk bottles on the table and have done ever since!
                            Milk cartons have obviously not yet reached you up wherever you are, somewhere obscure beyond Barnet.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

I am still reeling from seeing that half water melon with a lid on - René Magritte could have dreamed that one up!

Comment

• cria
                                • Jul 2022

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                ... getting a spoon in would make for an overflow mess. Emptying the contents into a bowl means another item to carry or source and wash up, and inevitably makes for waste as stuff will get left on the sides of the jar and whatever it is decanted into.
                                Not much good for use on the International Space Station then?

Comment

Working...
                                X