Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Is it unreasonable to expect somebody who's presenting part of British Music Map to have at least heard of Rubbra even if he hasn't heard any of his music?

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Is it unreasonable to expect somebody who's presenting part of British Music Map to have at least heard of Rubbra even if he hasn't heard any of his music?
      These days, yes.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        These days, yes.
        In that case, I'm glad I didn't mention the same presenter's horrible mispronunciation of 'Rheinlegendchen' a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

• Jonathan
          • Mar 2007

I'm assuming there wasn't anything by Sir William Sterndale-Bennett?
          Best regards,
          Jonathan

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
            I'm assuming there wasn't anything by Sir William Sterndale-Bennett?
            I'm afraid not - the Bennetts were, however, represented by Richard Rodney.

Comment

• oliver sudden
              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

In that case, I'm glad I didn't mention the same presenter's horrible mispronunciation of 'Rheinlegendchen' a couple of weeks ago.
              I forget if I’ve told this one here, but my partner and I were once sitting at breakfast in what was then her Berlin flat listening to the station we call ‘love-hate radio’ when we heard a piece back-announced as ‘Fett’, with excellent German pronunciation.

Unfortunately it was not the orchestral piece by our friend and colleague Enno Poppe, but the second movement of the Debussy Nocturnes.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
                I forget if I’ve told this one here, but my partner and I were once sitting at breakfast in what was then her Berlin flat listening to the station we call ‘love-hate radio’ when we heard a piece back-announced as ‘Fett’, with excellent German pronunciation.

Unfortunately it was not the orchestral piece by our friend and colleague Enno Poppe, but the second movement of the Debussy Nocturnes.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Do other authorities make you jump through hoops in order to take recycling stuff to the council tip? My brother drove me to our local tip yesterday to dump 5 paint tins and an aerosol paint spray for which I had to:

Book my visit in advance online for an available 15-min. slot, day and precise time
                  Give my name, address and email address
                  State the type of vehicle I will be arriving in (car, van) and registration number
                  What is to be recycled? We do not accept asbestos or plasterboard
                  The car registration number feeds directly into the agency’s records and details of my brother’s grey Honda Jazz were automatically filled in.

The confirmation email included further instructions (in red text):
                  You must bring photo ID and proof of residence to use the tip, we'll accept:
                  photo ID, travel card, or student ID
                  council tax, utility bill

Arrive 5 mins before your slot starts and wait to be directed to the correct recycling area when a space is free. You must arrive in the vehicle you registered when booking. The vehicle registration will be checked and only booked vehicles are allowed.

In fact, when we arrived I said we'd booked the 12pm slot and we were waved over to the appropriate receptacle for paint.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Do other authorities make you jump through hoops in order to take recycling stuff to the council tip? My brother drove me to our local tip yesterday to dump 5 paint tins and an aerosol paint spray for which I had to:

Book my visit in advance online for an available 15-min. slot, day and precise time
                    Give my name, address and email address
                    State the type of vehicle I will be arriving in (car, van) and registration number
                    What is to be recycled? We do not accept asbestos or plasterboard
                    The car registration number feeds directly into the agency’s records and details of my brother’s grey Honda Jazz were automatically filled in.

The confirmation email included further instructions (in red text):
                    You must bring photo ID and proof of residence to use the tip, we'll accept:
                    photo ID, travel card, or student ID
                    council tax, utility bill

Arrive 5 mins before your slot starts and wait to be directed to the correct recycling area when a space is free. You must arrive in the vehicle you registered when booking. The vehicle registration will be checked and only booked vehicles are allowed.

In fact, when we arrived I said we'd booked the 12pm slot and we were waved over to the appropriate receptacle for paint.

The short answer is 'NO'. At my local refuse tip/recycling centre, you just turn up and drive in. The only requirement is that you show proof of residence (usually my Council Tax bill) at the entrance, and then you get waved in.
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Do other authorities make you jump through hoops in order to take recycling stuff to the council tip?
                      ... the rules here very similar to FF's # 1988 - but we think the system works very well. The Hammersmith déchetterie is actually over the river in Wandsworth, and we get a childlike pleasure in seeing our car's registration number flashed up in big green lights on the entrance slipway when it has been recognized by the cameras ...

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

My daughter used to live in Wimbledon. Their allocated local recycling/disposal centre* was inside the South Circular Road which meant a congestion charge was levied for each trip.

*Quite possibly the same as Vints' above
                        Last edited by Old Grumpy; 28-08-24, 10:55. Reason: Apostrophic catastrophe

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          My daughter used to live in Wimbledon. Their allocated local recycling/disposal centre* was inside the South Circular Road which meant a congestion charge was levied for each trip.

... I don't think Wandsworth is in the Congestion Charge zone. But it could be in the Low Emissions / Ultra Low Emissions Zones (LEZ/ULEZ), and if the car was non-compliant, there might've been a charge.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Congestion charge is only for central London. We can get as far as Pimlico before it starts. May be ULEZ charge if they have a diesel car.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

But paper garden waste sacks, I learn, are up from £1 each to £2.75. I don't begrudge giving money to the council. Someone has to.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

I'm astonished (but hardly surprised, this century!) at the Kafkaesque revelations of FF's message. I suppose there is some reason why they want all those details, but I do wonder what happens ot all the records they keep of all the people who go.

Here we used to have a free garden and waste food collection every two weeks. Now you have to pay to have your bin emptied. Heigh-ho, back to the compost heap at the bottom of the garden, with waste food which would attract vermin going in the black bin. A pity, since we'd reduce the fortnightly contents of our black bin to very little. But I didn't like the council's pretence that the garden waste scheme is a new idea, air-brushing the existence of the free scheme.

Comment

Working...
                                X