• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Who writes this rubbish?
    Often the agent, in my experience, and it's been lazily lifted from the press release.

Comment

• oliver sudden
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      (I accept that the ideal is to know the opera in detail before you attend. This may take some time... )
      Is it though?

I had a singer girlfriend a decade or three ago who didn’t know how Tosca ended until she first saw it. I was SO JEALOUS.

I’ve usually been able to read a printed programme during performances without too much trouble. Have halls got darker since I had kids?

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
        Is it though?

I had a singer girlfriend a decade or three ago who didn’t know how Tosca ended until she first saw it. I was SO JEALOUS.

I’ve usually been able to read a printed programme during performances without too much trouble. Have halls got darker since I had kids?
        I don’t know about these things, one of my many areas of lack of expertise, but light sensor numbers do decline at a remarkably early age in humans. Not sure what the evolutionary benefit is !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I switched on Radio 4's Today this morning, and could scarcely believe what I was hearing. Lise Doucet was ostensibly hosting. Lise has seen it all, lived among the wreckage and reported on the homeless, the limbless and the bloodied babies, and spoken to and of the selfless life savers and givers doing their best amid the impossible and the surely unforgiveable. The Overseas Minister of Jordan is interviewed - he of all moderate Middle East opinion is at least someone whose opinions that great open receptacle the British listening public will be listening to, one dearly hopes. He tells us what he has seen and is seeing, and which (one could add) is available online for strong stomachs - politely critiqueing along the way of the interview the glib way the west's media frame and pose the questions. And what first question does Lise ask? When are Hamas going to stop their war effort? Not when is Netanyahu's lot going to agree to a ceasefire at the very least. The truth that the Knesset stands charged in principle for trampling on the Holocaust and all in its wake who have agonized justifications based on a once-great culture that gave us Isiah, Jesus, Einstein, Mahler, Marx, Trotsky, Schoenberg, Eisler, (make up your own lists for preferences to see what I mean), and so many of the great contributions to of western progressive thought and art, probably the majority of role models for some of us?

Is it, one has to ask oneself, Lise Doucet or the entire western mainstream media maintaining the livelihoods of its obedient mouthpieces that is in collective denial? When is the western political establishment and its mouthpiece apologists going to retrieve some self-respect, integrity, backbone, call it what you will, and tell it as it is and what you really feel about it? Is nothing going to be done until the entire population of Gaza, and maybe the West Bank too while we're at it, assembles in some place, douses itself in accelerant, and has someone standing by with a match at the ready until or unless this cruel, stupid, needless and lethal carnage stops?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

....I didn't listen Serial, but yes, just about every day I despair about this issue ....and cannot believe that an end has not been found....but no a new dark depth is plunged into....
            bong ching

Comment

• Maclintick
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
              Ignorance can be an asset on occasion. Fiona Shaw once recalled a performance of Medea in Ireland where a good proportion of the audience reacted in genuine shock and horror at the moment she kills her children -- one woman shouting "Noooo !!"

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                Ignorance can be an asset on occasion. Fiona Shaw once recalled a performance of Medea in Ireland where a good proportion of the audience reacted in genuine shock and horror at the moment she kills her children -- one woman shouting "Noooo !!"
                ... I am reminded of the Oscar Wilde anecdote -

"IN his viva voce examination for 'Divvers' at Oxford, Oscar Wilde was required to translate from the Greek version of the New Testament, which was one of the set books. The passage chosen was from the story of the Passion. Wilde began to translate, easily and accurately. The examiners were satisfied, and told him that this was enough. Wilde ignored them and continued to translate. After another attempt the examiners at last succeeded in stopping him, and told him that they were satisfied with his translation. 'Oh, do let me go on,' said Wilde, 'I want to see how it ends.' "

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

I don’t know about these things, one of my many areas of lack of expertise, but light sensor numbers do decline at a remarkably early age in humans. Not sure what the evolutionary benefit is !!
                  We oldies can sit round the fire while you guys go out and do the hunting.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....I didn't listen Serial, but yes, just about every day I despair about this issue ....and cannot believe that an end has not been found....but no a new dark depth is plunged into....
                    And Serial:

Comment

• Maclintick
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I am reminded of the Oscar Wilde anecdote -

"IN his viva voce examination for 'Divvers' at Oxford, Oscar Wilde was required to translate from the Greek version of the New Testament, which was one of the set books. The passage chosen was from the story of the Passion. Wilde began to translate, easily and accurately. The examiners were satisfied, and told him that this was enough. Wilde ignored them and continued to translate. After another attempt the examiners at last succeeded in stopping him, and told him that they were satisfied with his translation. 'Oh, do let me go on,' said Wilde, 'I want to see how it ends.' "

Comment

• LHC
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                        I went to a showing of Chinatown at the NFT many years ago. There were two middle-aged women sitting in the row in front of me who had clearly never seen it before. When it came to the big revelation about Faye Dunaway's character, Evelyn Mulray, they were both completely shocked. For several minutes they sat there shaking their heads and saying "oh my God, oh no" and it seemed to take them some time to process the information. Its quite rare to see a film have that kind of impact on its audience.
                        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

James Ivory was impressed to hear two women 's reaction to the end of The Bostonians:

'How could she just throw up her career like that to marry a pauper?'

'Well, it was Chistopher Reeve'.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

A friend and I went to see Lindsey Anderson's If in the West End in 1968, a momentous year generally. We were students having left school the year before and wanted to catch the film as soon as it came out. It famously ends with ​Malcolm Mcdowell and friends machine-gunning the School's great and good from a rooftop. I have never forgotten a massive shouting match which ensued between two audience members. So long ago I'm afraid I can't remember the content of their interchange.
                            ​​

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

It's certainly a film to arouse strong feelings,which is clearly what Lindsay wanted; he had a contempt for what might be called English complacency.

I'm afraid I've never liked his feature film s and feel he was at his best with documentaries. I'm sure this would produce a snort of ridicule if anyone said so to him!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                                It's certainly a film to arouse strong feelings,which is clearly what Lindsay wanted; he had a contempt for what might be called English complacency.

I'm afraid I've never liked his feature film s and feel he was at his best with documentaries. I'm sure this would produce a snort of ridicule if anyone said so to him!
                                Oops. I spelled his name wrong. Should have checked. I saw O Lucky Man! Overlong, but entertaining, as I remember, with Arthur Lowe in various guises.

Comment

Working...
                                X