Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Needing to know where my bank Nationwide had a branch near where I was; grappling with their new(ish) chatbot, which failed to understand my request; a super polite female agent (human) who was obliged to take all my security information even for this non-threatening request for information; and who had no sense of the geography of Hampshire, or indeed southern England.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

They'll be pleased when we are all dead and they cannot bamboozle us any more...

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Needing to know where my bank Nationwide had a branch near where I was; grappling with their new(ish) chatbot, which failed to understand my request; a super polite female agent (human) who was obliged to take all my security information even for this non-threatening request for information; and who had no sense of the geography of Hampshire, or indeed southern England.
        That is shocking KB.

Also odd ( maybe there is a good reason? ) is when telephone banks ask loads of questions about how you were given details for a new payee, and only then run a check which hopefully comes back with a full match. Why not run the check first, and then ask mire questions if the check fails ?
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

If this is the Nationwide's 'Arti' you are referring to, I can confirm from my own experience that he/she/it/they is/are incredibly stupid and cannot answer my questions however simple and clear I make them, and the human to whom you are transferred will almost certainly take you in a complete circle, at which point you have to start the whole verification process again. Fortunately we still have a local branch where the staff couldn't be more helpful, either on the phone or in person.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

If this is the Nationwide's 'Arti' you are referring to, I can confirm from my own experience that he/she/it/they is/are incredibly stupid ...
            Non-binary, I believe. My friend I was visiting has a good solution which is never to answer a bot. It/they then have to refer you to a human, because they are so programmed. Actually that worked for me eventually in the phone call referred to above.

All I wanted to know was nearest branch to Xxx, for which they did not need customer information/security checks.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

That is shocking KB.
              I can take it, TS.

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Also odd ( maybe there is a good reason? ) is when telephone banks ask loads of questions about how you were given details for a new payee, and only then run a check which hopefully comes back with a full match. Why not run the check first, and then ask mire questions if the check fails ?
              Well a fraudulent scammer might have a bank account which is totally correctly set up, no?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Non-binary, I believe. My friend I was visiting has a good solution which is never to answer a bot. It/they then have to refer you to a human, because they are so programmed. Actually that worked for me eventually in the phone call referred to above.

All I wanted to know was nearest branch to Xxx, for which they did not need customer information/security checks.
                Would this link not have given you the info you needed (or did you have no internet access)?

Search Nationwide branches. The world's largest building society, run for the benefit of its members. Helping you with your Current account, Mortgage, Savings and other personal finance.

No excuse for the inadequacy of the non-binary bot, though.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

I wonder if the problem is that asking "nearest to" is beyond the framework the bot is set up for? It could possibly have managed " branch in x" - but you already had that info. There is no excuse for the human version though as she would have access to the map of branches and so should have been able to find the known branch and then look at those shown in the area around it to suggest to you, perhaps narrowing it down with reference to a given radius. Even if she had never had to deal with that question before, the mechanism for providing an answer is only what the public is expected to do themselves, so shouldn't be beyond a paid and trained(presumably) staff member. Although I suppose it perhaps doesn't appear on one of the scripts such people have to follow?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Would this link not have given you the info you needed (or did you have no internet access)?
                    Worked perfectly. My nearest branches are either 1.46 miles (no bus route) or 1.71 miles away (a bus and a 15 min walk). Both are within a stone's throw of my nearest Lloyds branches (my own local one 800 yds away having closed down last year); and I live pretty centrally in a large city. The nearest 'banks' are all ATMs. But at least all this information is at my fingertips!
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Worked perfectly.
                      Same here, and it also gave the same branch for a couple of neighbouring villages.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I wonder if the problem is that asking "nearest to" is beyond the framework the bot is set up for? It could possibly have managed " branch in x" - but you already had that info. There is no excuse for the human version though as she would have access to the map of branches and so should have been able to find the known branch and then look at those shown in the area around it to suggest to you, perhaps narrowing it down with reference to a given radius. Even if she had never had to deal with that question before, the mechanism for providing an answer is only what the public is expected to do themselves, so shouldn't be beyond a paid and trained(presumably) staff member. Although I suppose it perhaps doesn't appear on one of the scripts such people have to follow?
                        Ah, but you'd have to give her a postcode to find it on SatNav!

Reminds me of the time we broke down in the NT car park at Arnside Knott...

...the Green Flag operative on the end of the phone asked me what the postcode was. I had no idea, but was able to provide a precise six figure grid reference- oh no, we can't use that sir was the response!

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

...the Green Flag operative on the end of the phone asked me what the postcode was. I had no idea, but was able to provide a precise six figure grid reference- oh no, we can't use that sir was the response!
                          "What 3 words" on the other hand - but the words given might not have been related to the location...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

I'm pretty sure that there are some NT properties for which the Handbook advises you to use a satnav postcode that isn't the same as the one for the property itself!

Comment

• oliver sudden
                              • Feb 2024

My partner just had to retrieve a delivery from what in these parts is called a Packstation: an array of metal drawers and cupboards where normally one holds the attempted delivery card in front of a scanner and the appropriate compartment opens, allowing one to take possession of the article.

This was not, however, the case at this particular Packstation, which offered no visible customer interface. Instead, she had to use her phone to scan a QR code to download an app and then scan another code on the delivery card and establish a bluetooth connection with the Packstation to persuade it to open the required compartment and reveal the desired parcel.

The extent to which she would have preferred to go to a post office and interact with a human being for the purpose of obtaining the article can hardly be overstated.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I'm pretty sure that there are some NT properties for which the Handbook advises you to use a satnav postcode that isn't the same as the one for the property itself!
                                Quite possibly. This is an isolated car park*
                                in the middle of rough grazing/woodland. The postcode would cover quite a large area!

* From NT website:

" Arnside Knott

Nationally significant for wildlife, with miles of limestone grassland, mixed woodland and views of the Lakes and Dales."

Comment

Working...
                                X