• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... two sorts of male? - those genetically male, and those spiders who 'identify' as male??

In fact, I've been pondering over the issues of self-identifying, and even 'identity consciousness'. Why not take the view that every individual is absolutely unique in the combination of biological characteristics, abilities, tastes, inclinations; and we all belong as members to one single species? It seems to be an innate (primitive?) human need to want to 'belong' to a group or tribe which, to my mind just creates the sort of social divisions currently on display: not my race/people, not my religion, not my team, just weirdos and - women!!!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

In fact, I've been pondering over the issues of self-identifying, and even 'identity consciousness'.... not my race/people, not my religion, not my team, just weirdos and - women!!!
      I agree with most of this: but baulk at the idea of trying to convey it to a bloke wearing a balaclava and with a brick in his hand....

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... two sorts of male? - those genetically male, and those spiders who 'identify' as male??

Male spiders have a vested interest in choosing carefully what they [I use this pronoun advisedly] identify as:

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          I agree with most of this: but baulk at the idea of trying to convey it to a bloke wearing a balaclava and with a brick in his hand....
          No, the brick in hand would be off-putting, but on his own in a quiet room somewhere. Might be interesting. I think I'm a good listener [Then I remember the bee sting ]
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            ...on his own in a quiet room somewhere. Might be interesting. I think....]
            Yes, but he'd probably want to bring some of his tribe along...!

But seriously, that would be a way forward.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

If I want to listen to shouty people gabbling at top volume I'll go to the relevant outlets. Having it foisted on me without warning when I'm trying to ease myself into the day, in the shape of adverts for Sounds, is a way to reinforce my general indifference to sporting matters into active dislike.
              The fact that many R3 afficionados will also follow sport is no reason to inflict it on every r3 listener - what is wrong with having a tiny sport-free place in the overwhelming "coverage" - it doesn't have to mean not advertising Sounds(although that would be even better...), just being a tad more selective about what material is chosen to do so.
              It's been going on for months("summer of sport", heart-sinking words) I know, but this morning's onslaught coincided with an already difficult start to the day so was particularly painful, so now even Breakfast has been turned off.
              At least there is possibly some music to listen to later in the day - the first part of Classical (not)Live looks interesting.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                If I want to listen to shouty people gabbling at top volume I'll go to the relevant outlets. Having it foisted on me without warning when I'm trying to ease myself into the day, in the shape of adverts for Sounds, is a way to reinforce my general indifference to sporting matters into active dislike.
                The fact that many R3 afficionados will also follow sport is no reason to inflict it on every r3 listener - what is wrong with having a tiny sport-free place in the overwhelming "coverage" - it doesn't have to mean not advertising Sounds(although that would be even better...), just being a tad more selective about what material is chosen to do so.
                It's been going on for months("summer of sport", heart-sinking words) I know, but this morning's onslaught coincided with an already difficult start to the day so was particularly painful, so now even Breakfast has been turned off.
                At least there is possibly some music to listen to later in the day - the first part of Classical (not)Live looks interesting.
                From what I've seen, there seems to be an awful lot of studio-based chat during the BBC's coverage of the Olympics - perhaps time could be found to promote Radio 3 programmes or discuss the most recent Prom...

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

I agree with oddoneout. Over the last few years I have lost any interest in any kind of sport or game: even cricket and motor racing, which I used to follow, have no appeal for me. Given the probelms the world faces, I even think it wrong to pay players so much . I;m not 'anti=sport'; I do accept that it's important for a lot of people. But I think there's not reason to advertise it on Radio 3. Its surely absurd to think that sport fans are going to listen to Radio 3 to hear the sport trailers. Maybe someone won an award for suggesting this .

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    I agree with oddoneout. Over the last few years I have lost any interest in any kind of sport or game: even cricket and motor racing, which I used to follow, have no appeal for me. Given the probelms the world faces, I even think it wrong to pay players so much . I;m not 'anti=sport'; I do accept that it's important for a lot of people. But I think there's not reason to advertise it on Radio 3. Its surely absurd to think that sport fans are going to listen to Radio 3 to hear the sport trailers. Maybe someone won an award for suggesting this .
                    Or some bright marketing company got paid squillions of licence fee money.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      Its surely absurd to think that sport fans are going to listen to Radio 3 to hear the sport trailers.
                      That would be absurd, but sports fans already listen to R3 and so will probably hear the trails. Why should they be allowed to escape just because they listen to R3? Why should any of us be allowed to escape?

Comment

• LeWoiDeWeigate
                        • Nov 2022

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Oh this SO much. Yesterday morning was particularly bad. There was an advert for the current sport fest in Paris which included a rather trite and badly-delivered poetic ditty - I wish I could find it on BBC Sounds because stopping on the M25 and shouting 'get this OFF Radio 3 NOW' was not appropriate...

There was the usual senseless banter from a sporting 'commentator' at top volume, high-pitch and without coming up for air followed by the equally usual monotonous, mono-syllabic speech from a sporting-type person. This was all accompanied by ra-ra music. Unhappy juxtaposition followed:

'... work inspired by Goethe...'

I lost my interest in sports of all kinds 58 years ago (I'm just over 57) and Radio 3 (and much of Radio 4) is my place of calm and comfort from the noise that is overly-competitive noise (of which as a society I think we need an awful lot LESS of at the moment given recent events). To have that space polluted is really quite irksome.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeWoiDeWeigate View Post

I lost my interest in sports of all kinds 58 years ago (I'm just over 57) and Radio 3 (and much of Radio 4) is my place of calm and comfort from the noise that is overly-competitive noise (of which as a society I think we need an awful lot LESS of at the moment given recent events). To have that space polluted is really quite irksome.
                          While much is often alleged for the interactive joys of live sport, in which one can cheer one's side on, the reality is that it's largely spectator-driven yet at the same time out of the onlooker's control - thereby feeding the fantasies spectator sports exist for in consumer-driven societies, whereas while music can likewise be merely passively consumed, the reactive listener in a live musical situation can by showing his or her appreciation (or displeasure!) lead to some outcome in a performance, or being at the end of a broadcast of such an event participate in its overall effect at a distance. Even with a recording one is creatively engaging with a work of music, rather than having it thrust upon oneself.

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Mar 2007

Agreed, if I wanted to know about the sport, I'd listen elsewhere. I put the radio on in the car on the way home from work about 1/2 hour ago and SR was rabitting on about the Olympics. Luckily, I have other things to listen to instead.
                            Best regards,
                            Jonathan

Comment

• LeWoiDeWeigate
                              • Nov 2022

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

While much is often alleged for the interactive joys of live sport, in which one can cheer one's side on, the reality is that it's largely spectator-driven yet at the same time out of the onlooker's control - thereby feeding the fantasies spectator sports exist for in consumer-driven societies, whereas while music can likewise be merely passively consumed, the reactive listener in a live musical situation can by showing his or her appreciation (or displeasure!) lead to some outcome in a performance, or being at the end of a broadcast of such an event participate in its overall effect at a distance. Even with a recording one is creatively engaging with a work of music, rather than having it thrust upon oneself.
                              I talk to many of my 'sport-loving' relatives who tell me that they are really 'in to X, Y, Z.' Then I discover that it is almost always passive consumption - very few of them (actually, NONE of them) take part in the sport being watched/listened to. Conversely, the people that I know who attend live music events almost all play at least one instrument and are often involved in music-making of some sort.

My cynical opinion (borne of years working for corporate organisations only too desperate to do so) is that having passive viewers makes for an excellent platform for advertising and that those companies who profess interest in sport X, Y, Z really don't as long as plenty of eyes are available to see an advert for product A, B or C. Maybe we should be careful what we wish for so that we don't hear 'At the downbeat, the Tempo sponsored by Accurist will be....'

Comment

• Sir Velo
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by LeWoiDeWeigate View Post

My cynical opinion (borne of years working for corporate organisations only too desperate to do so) is that having passive viewers makes for an excellent platform for advertising
                                I gave up watching sport many years ago when I realised that my (occasionally) hard earned cash was effectively funding a lavish lifestyle of people who had no intention of ever funding mine!

Comment

Working...
                                X