Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

to return to the grumble - the lost Schubert - iplayer is still using the published schedule to start its recording thus though labelled next generation + promising Schubert we get the sub-R2 programme + the even worse presenter from last night's unwarranted over run

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Which brings us back to pundits (another thread, I know - but this is a grumble)...

...when a sporting event overruns (OK, these things happen) why, oh why do we have to have the pundit post-mortem? This should be ditched and the expected programme broadcast straight after the end of the match (or other event) has finished. I get particulary sick of pundits trying to justify why a particular team did not win - you lost - get over it!
      Pundits? Or just talking heads?

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Which brings us back to pundits (another thread, I know - but this is a grumble)...

...when a sporting event overruns (OK, these things happen) why, oh why do we have to have the pundit post-mortem? This should be ditched and the expected programme broadcast straight after the end of the match (or other event) has finished. I get particulary sick of pundits trying to justify why a particular team did not win - you lost - get over it!
        This is one of the reasons why I watch Sky News more than I used to, as there is usually a brief sports update followed by an invitation to switch to Sky Sports News if you need more analytical punditry.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Quite. To make up for lost time they could also suspend the repeat publicity for future programmes.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            to return to the grumble - the lost Schubert - iplayer is still using the published schedule to start its recording thus though labelled next generation + promising Schubert we get the sub-R2 programme + the even worse presenter from last night's unwarranted over run
            Not sure what that grumble was, but I do feel much of the mind-numbing programme formats are based on Sounds recording technology. So easy to do the segments 6.30-9.30, 9.30-13 (to 12 at the weekends), 13.00-16.00 (exc Weds). No place for programmes of variable lengths dictated by content.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Not sure what that grumble was, but I do feel much of the mind-numbing programme formats are based on Sounds recording technology. So easy to do the segments 6.30-9.30, 9.30-13 (to 12 at the weekends), 13.00-16.00 (exc Weds). No place for programmes of variable lengths dictated by content.
              Two grumbles - one that we lost the advertised NGA Classical music slot due to the major Gateshead "Prom" over-run, and that the following day the Beeb IT lot hadn't got round to doing the necessary changes to Sounds caused by that change.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

It would seem "they" have decided we don't need to know when the Proms repeat will be broadcast on Classical Live, as there is now no longer an approximate start time shown. I don't understand what, if any(quite likely none) reason there is behind that decision. I am not the only person who can't use Sounds to listen again and so needs some idea of when the repeat is going to appear in order to - erm - listen again(or indeed for the first time), and may not be inclined or able to listen through what precedes it in order to do so. Even some of those those who can listen again via devices might possibly choose to just switch on at roughly the right time rather than search?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Nature red in tooth and claw - and a lesson learnt. I was out in the garden and saw a spider wrestling with a hapless insect (a fly I thought) which had not only been caught in the web it had been encased, mummy-like, in sticky threads and was struggling pitiably. My heart was touched so I flicked the spider off and gently picked up the trapped beast and prepared to unravel the thread while it waited patiently to be freed. It looked af if it might be some sort of bee. Then it stung my finger. I dropped it and didn't look for it again. I'm sure there is a lesson there but I'm not sure what it is. Let nature do its own thing?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                    • Feb 2024

Particularly ironic if it had been a worker honey bee, in which case by stinging you it will of course have done itself in.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
                      Particularly ironic if it had been a worker honey bee, in which case by stinging you it will of course have done itself in.
                      I thought that too, as I pulled the sting out of my finger. It could have been a honey bee.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

I thought that too, as I pulled the sting out of my finger. It could have been a honey bee.
                        The general advice these days is to let nature alone to do its own thing, although in a recent TV wildlife programme they did rescue some poor creatures, porpoises maybe, trapped in fishing nets. I guess it comes down to intervening when "us lot" are the culprits, though rare species are sometimes also being treated as extenuating.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          I guess it comes down to intervening when "us lot" are the culprits
                          Yes, I did deprive a common or garden spider of his lunch so I was sorry afterwards.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Yes, I did deprive a common or garden spider of his lunch so I was sorry afterwards.
                            Are you sure it was a male?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              Are you sure it was a male?
                              Are there then two sorts?

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Are there then two sorts?
                                ... two sorts of male? - those genetically male, and those spiders who 'identify' as male??

Comment

Working...
                                X