X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

This week I received an email from an hotel (who have my email address) noting that I (named first) and three other named people (all female on the basis of their forename) had cancelled a booking for the end of this week. I do not know who any of the other people are and certainly never made a booking in the first place!

I have forwarded the message back to reception asking them to look into how this happened. The "front of house" team leader has responded agreed to do so and will undertake any necessary staff training.:erm:
    Sadly an all too familiar response in such situations.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

This week I received an email from an hotel (who have my email address) noting that I (named first) and three other named people (all female on the basis of their forename) had cancelled a booking for the end of this week. I do not know who any of the other people are and certainly never made a booking in the first place!

I have forwarded the message back to reception asking them to look into how this happened. The "front of house" team leader has responded agreed to do so and will undertake any necessary staff training.
      That would be their GDPR responsibilities as a priority one hopes, since they've shared email addresses without consent.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I just received one of those pre-recorded phone messages from "the financial watchdog" reporting that they had intercepted two suspicious debits on my bank account to outfits "I had not previously used", and that if I agreed to the transactions going through I should press... but at that point instead of waiting to find out which button, I put the phone down. There really doesn't seem to be any point in dialling 1471 to find out if the caller can be rung back, since, apart from the possible risk to myself, they usually abandon ship before any chance of discovery. I'll check my accounts later.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          That would be their GDPR responsibilities as a priority one hopes, since they've shared email addresses without consent.
          Though I think the emails were BCC as none were attached - the names were however in the text.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I just received one of those pre-recorded phone messages from "the financial watchdog" reporting that they had intercepted two suspicious debits on my bank account to outfits "I had not previously used", and that if I agreed to the transactions going through I should press... but at that point instead of waiting to find out which button, I put the phone down. There really doesn't seem to be any point in dialling 1471 to find out if the caller can be rung back, since, apart from the possible risk to myself, they usually abandon ship before any chance of discovery. I'll check my accounts later.
            If I don't recognize the caller's number that's displayed on my phone I don't pick up the phone.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

If I don't recognize the caller's number that's displayed on my phone I don't pick up the phone.
              ... but it might be your great-uncle Alastair bequeathing you the rights to his Australian gold mine!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... but it might be your great-uncle Alastair bequeathing you the rights to his Australian gold mine!

That's a risk I'm prepared to take.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

I turned on the radio to listen to the short New Generation Artist programme only to find some vocal drivel claiming to be a Proms concert that seems to think it has the right to occupy the airwaves regardless of schedules. Evidently " the home of classical music" is expected to ditch the Classical music in favour of said drivel. I'm assuming that The Glasshouse has more than one performing space as there is supposed to be another concert starting at 10 pm - currently less than 25 minutes time.
                  There was a big load of applause and Tom McKinney did a lot of talking and I thought that was it but no - yet more of the same.
                  The OFF switch has been deployed.
                  To add insult to injury the schedule has been claiming that the NGA programme is "On Air" since its due start time at 9-15.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    I turned on the radio to listen to the short New Generation Artist programme only to find some vocal drivel claiming to be a Proms concert that seems to think it has the right to occupy the airwaves regardless of schedules. Evidently " the home of classical music" is expected to ditch the Classical music in favour of said drivel. I'm assuming that The Glasshouse has more than one performing space as there is supposed to be another concert starting at 10 pm - currently less than 25 minutes time.
                    There was a big load of applause and Tom McKinney did a lot of talking and I thought that was it but no - yet more of the same.
                    The OFF switch has been deployed.
                    To add insult to injury the schedule has been claiming that the NGA programme is "On Air" since its due start time at 9-15.
                    I did similar last night expecting to find 'Round Midnight. I see from Sounds that the Night Tracks Prom went right through to 0030 this am. As with others I signed off fairly quickly!

The Glasshouse* does indeed have at least 3 dedicated performance spaces.

*Ridiculous name - makes it sound like a military correction facility...

...those of us who have spent time domiciled in NE England just continue to call it The Sage or Sage Gateshead.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

I did similar last night expecting to find 'Round Midnight. I see from Sounds that the Night Tracks Prom went right through to 0030 this am. As with others I signed off fairly quickly!

The Glasshouse* does indeed have at least 3 dedicated performance spaces.

*Ridiculous name - makes it sound like a military correction facility...

...those of us who have spent time domiciled in NE England just continue to call it The Sage or Sage Gateshead.
                      Was Round Midnight due to be on last night or was it temporarily displaced for the Gateshead Proms? I ask because the online schedule is still showing what should have happened last night,which was a double Proms/NGA sandwich until TTN, rather than what actually happened.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

I should devise a special punishment for people who change broadcast schedules at short notice. When I've eagerly looked forward to a rare programme for days, I dread to hear that cheery voice saying 'and now, in a change to the advertised programme...'

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          I should devise a special punishment for people who change broadcast schedules at short notice. When I've eagerly looked forward to a rare programme for days, I dread to hear that cheery voice saying 'and now, in a change to the advertised programme...'
                          Especially these days when the things that are of interest/looked forward to(whether R3 or TV) are so few and far between.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            ... or 'later than advertised'. This is one reason why I record programmes (the other being that I might well nod off before they start or while I'm watching them.)

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

... or 'later than advertised'. This is one reason why I record programmes (the other being that I might well nod off before they start or while I'm watching them.)
                              Which brings us back to pundits (another thread, I know - but this is a grumble)...

...when a sporting event overruns (OK, these things happen) why, oh why do we have to have the pundit post-mortem? This should be ditched and the expected programme broadcast straight after the end of the match (or other event) has finished. I get particulary sick of pundits trying to justify why a particular team did not win - you lost - get over it!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Which brings us back to pundits (another thread, I know - but this is a grumble)...

...when a sporting event overruns (OK, these things happen) why, oh why do we have to have the pundit post-mortem? This should be ditched and the expected programme broadcast straight after the end of the match (or other event) has finished. I get particulary sick of pundits trying to justify why a particular team did not win - you lost - get over it!
                                Quite. To make up for lost time they could also suspend the repeat publicity for future programmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X