• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Here in our pleasant seaside town we're left with the Nationwide, Santander, Halifax and TSB (which is closing in September).
    I live very close to a commercial 'high street', described as one of the longest in the country still consisting of small independent shops. We are well within the 'central' area of a major city but as from last November we have no bank at all - just a small post office; Googling for banks in the area directs you to all the ATMs. The quickest journey for me must take the best part of 45 minutes (I haven't done it since my branch closed); the journey to the nearest branch would take longer as there are no direct buses.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

I'm glad to saywe still have several banks in Crewe, perhaps because it is a centre for a rural area. We were without a Post Office for about a year when WH Smith closed , but one has now opened.

I think some hope for the British High Street may be that these vast new housing estates being built in the country don't seem to have any shops, so their inhabitants trek into the towns. ALDI very cleverly built a big new store just outside Crewe, well-placed for such shoppers.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

My financial affairs are simple, and I find that I get by perfectly well using First Direct phone services and the post office.It is useful to have a branch to visit of course.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I live very close to a commercial 'high street', described as one of the longest in the country still consisting of small independent shops. We are well within the 'central' area of a major city but as from last November we have no bank at all - just a small post office; Googling for banks in the area directs you to all the ATMs. The quickest journey for me must take the best part of 45 minutes (I haven't done it since my branch closed); the journey to the nearest branch would take longer as there are no direct buses.
          Is this a common problem in the UK? We have a plethora of Banking options here

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

Is this a common problem in the UK? We have a plethora of Banking options here
            Many high street banks have (ironically) closed their high street branches and retreated behind the Internet.

This is fine for the Internet savvy, but obviously not so good for those who aren't and/or do not have transport options.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Many high street banks have (ironically) closed their high street branches and retreated behind the Internet.

This is fine for the Internet savvy, but obviously not so good for those who aren't and/or do not have transport options.
              Exactly. I've managed so far without needing to speak to anyone, but it was useful to be able to pop into my 'local', about 5 minutes' walk away, in order to discuss something or just ask a quick question. As it is I've solved the problem of how or whether I could do something by just not doing it
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Got our house and contents insurance quote from Lloyds Bank - last year 280 ….. we live in a castle …. Next year 370 !!!!! Ring up nice young lady says she will look at it …… comes back … “ with exactly the same cover we can reduce it to 300 “ is everything a con nowadays ….. ??????

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

....everything is an algarithm....(anyway , well done)
                  bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

The whole business of aircraft flying through turbulence has been seriously on my mind for the past couple of days, following the near-disaster befalling (sic) that airliner while crossing Myanmar. One would naturally think that if potentially fatal danger faces any aircraft flying though or in the vicinity of thunderstorms, as seems likely to have been the case here, then either avoidance tactics should have been deployed or flights in the meteorologically affected area cancelled or postponed. We have footage of pilots flying through tropical cyclones (hurricanes), which are really huge revolving thunderstorm systems with additional danger from extremely high winds, suggesting that it should be possible to deal with the very worst forms of turbulence if pilots are adequately trained to know which clouds or parts of clouds and their environs to avoid or fly through with care.

The latter does not appear to have been the case in this instance, and one would hope that action be taken against those culpably responsible for this poor man's death from heart attack and the injuries to body and damage to possessions of many others on that flight. Yet I have not seen or heard any discussion on this subject in any of the media. Perhaps this subject deserved a thread of its own: It is hard not to conclude the existence of a conspiracy of silence designed to protect the profits of airline companies from any effects of cancelling or diverting flights.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Even the internet savvy - or at least able to use it for internet banking - sometimes come unstuck and the option to call into a physical bank and speak to a live person can save a great deal of wasted time and effort trying to get satisfaction from so-called customer service options such as email, telephone and various forms of "chat". It is noticeable that the Lloyds branch in my home town is often busy and will include those trying to sort out difficulties with their phone or online banking, likewise Nationwide.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Not sure if this is a Grumble, a Pedant posting, or a Funny thing.

I've just received a black-tie dinner invitation including the following:

There will be a drinks reception ... at 6.45pm and dinner will be served in Hall at 7.30pm.

Carriages will be at 10.30pm.

Isn't it about time that the ridiculous conception/convention of Carriages got ditched?
                        What's wrong with simply saying that the event will finish at 10:30pm?

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Not sure if this is a Grumble, a Pedant posting, or a Funny thing.
                          I've just received a black-tie dinner invitation including the following:
                          There will be a drinks reception ... at 6.45pm and dinner will be served in Hall at 7.30pm.
                          Carriages will be at 10.30pm.
                          Isn't it about time that the ridiculous conception/convention of Carriages got ditched?
                          What's wrong with simply saying that the event will finish at 10:30pm?
                          Yes indeed. I preferred the honesty of the invitation I received from the chaplain when I went up to university -

"The rev x. y and mrs y will be delighted to welcome you for drinks and a light supper at 7pm. They will be equally delighted to see you go at 10pm"

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Yes indeed. I preferred the honesty of the invitation I received from the chaplain when I went up to university -

"The rev x. y and mrs y will be delighted to welcome you for drinks and a light supper at 7pm. They will be equally delighted to see you go at 10pm"

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Even the internet savvy - or at least able to use it for internet banking - sometimes come unstuck and the option to call into a physical bank and speak to a live person can save a great deal of wasted time and effort trying to get satisfaction from so-called customer service options such as email, telephone and various forms of "chat". It is noticeable that the Lloyds branch in my home town is often busy and will include those trying to sort out difficulties with their phone or online banking, likewise Nationwide.
                              That's certainly been my experience (I'm a Nationwide customer). I've also registered our LPAs with them, which has already proved very helpful on more than one occasion.

Comment

• LHC
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                The whole business of aircraft flying through turbulence has been seriously on my mind for the past couple of days, following the near-disaster befalling (sic) that airliner while crossing Myanmar. One would naturally think that if potentially fatal danger faces any aircraft flying though or in the vicinity of thunderstorms, as seems likely to have been the case here, then either avoidance tactics should have been deployed or flights in the meteorologically affected area cancelled or postponed. We have footage of pilots flying through tropical cyclones (hurricanes), which are really huge revolving thunderstorm systems with additional danger from extremely high winds, suggesting that it should be possible to deal with the very worst forms of turbulence if pilots are adequately trained to know which clouds or parts of clouds and their environs to avoid or fly through with care.

The latter does not appear to have been the case in this instance, and one would hope that action be taken against those culpably responsible for this poor man's death from heart attack and the injuries to body and damage to possessions of many others on that flight. Yet I have not seen or heard any discussion on this subject in any of the media. Perhaps this subject deserved a thread of its own: It is hard not to conclude the existence of a conspiracy of silence designed to protect the profits of airline companies from any effects of cancelling or diverting flights.
                                I believe the Singaporean authorities have begun an investigation to discover how and why this flight experienced such extreme turbulence, but it may take some time to find everything out.

Pilots do already have a number of measures they can take to spot and avoid turbulence including the use of on board radar to monitor local weather systems. However turbulence can be unpredictable, especially clear-air turbulence, so while aircraft can usually avoid and deal with most incidents of turbulence, this is not 100% reliable. Clear-air turbulence is usually impossible to detect with the naked eye as it is not the result of local cloud or storm conditions. It is also very difficult to detect with a conventional radar. This makes it difficult for aircraft pilots to detect and avoid it.

It is suspected that this case may be a result of clear-air turbulence, but we should know more once the Singaporeans have completed their investigation. I'd agree with you that if it turns out to be the result of negligence or inadequate training, then action should be taken against those responsible.

By the way, I understand there are 40 passengers and crew still in hospital with 20 still in intensive care. Its reported that 22 of the patients have spinal cord injuries and 6 have brain and skull injuries, so it is an extremely serious case.
                                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
                                X