X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    I thought - rather naively, perhaps - that GP surgeries and hospitals were part of the same health service treating the same patients,
    There's two issues. A major one is the decades long failed NHS IT project( a certain company currently in the headlines had an involvement), not helped by GP surgeries being private businesses. So, lots of different hardware and software that isn't compatible. I don't know if there are different arrangements about sharing data depending on what health authority you are in, but I was asked a good few years ago for consent to "share information to improve patient outcomes" from GP to hospital. I didn't give it for several reasons, but in any case I found on a couple of visits that the information that the hospital had taken from me direct had got mangled such that it was incorrect so I'm not convinced that anything they had from the GP would do much to improve outcomes!

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      There's two issues. ... I don't know if there are different arrangements about sharing data depending on what health authority you are in, but I was asked a good few years ago for consent to "share information to improve patient outcomes" from GP to hospital. I didn't give it for several reasons,...
      I believe UK still follows the principles of GDPR (The EU's General Data Protection Regulation​) and therefore the patient's permission is required in such cases.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        I believe UK still follows the principles of GDPR (The EU's General Data Protection Regulation​) and therefore the patient's permission is required in such cases.
        Does the hospital seek permission from the patient or does the patient have to ask the hospital, and does the hospital have discretionary power to refuse if it sees fit? Perhaps the GDPR is sometimes used as a means of avoiding the issue of the incompatibilities that undoubtedly exist between different operating systems in different parts of the NHS.
        I have heard that, in some places, a brief summary of a patient's GP records can be made available to a hospital 'under certain circumstances' - yet another form of postcode lottery?
        It's ironic that, on one of the few occasions when we might wish certain personal information to be made more widely available, it's not always clear how this can come about.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          Does the hospital seek permission from the patient or does the patient have to ask the hospital?....
          I can't answer those questions. But I was in one situation where I gave blanket permission to the hospital to ask my GP surgery for information. (Atm can't bring to mind more detail - sorry.). However, as you (we) can now ask for a copy of all our GP's records, you (we) could always ask for that and take them with you to a hospital appointment.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

In theory yes, in practice not so much. The whole question of patient data has been rumbling on for many years. I have signed several opt-outs during that time but have little confidence my wishes will be respected. In the early stages it was possible(and easy, I did it without any effort) to see the menu of data available and the prices charged to acquire datasets. The official line was that no individual could be identified, but as was pointed out anonymised data is not secure(especially the way it was being done), and not the same as encrypted, and working back to identify individuals was easy.
            There are two official lines of response. One says that your data will not be/is not sold, the other is happy to transfer such data(and the control of it) to the likes of Palantir.
            It frustrates me as I fully understand the value of such data to research, but I don't consider the powers that be have either the competence or the integrity to ensure that all possible protections are in place and observed if such data is released.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

I can't answer those questions. But I was in one situation where I gave blanket permission to the hospital to ask my GP surgery for information. (Atm can't bring to mind more detail - sorry.). However, as you (we) can now ask for a copy of all our GP's records, you (we) could always ask for that and take them with you to a hospital appointment.
              For a fee? The last time(admittedly several years ago) I asked the GP surgery for a copy of a report from a hospital appointment that I was told would be sent to me but wasn't I was told it would cost ÂŁ10. Fortunately I happened to know that there is(was ) a window of opportunity when such charges can't be levied - something like 28 days from the date of the appointment - so did eventually get a copy. On a couple of subsequent occasions the GP was happy to print off a copy of relevant information (scan and blood test results) at follow up appointments (as the hospital said they didn't provide it to the patient direct - money and work saving presumably) without charge. Whether that still is an option I don't know, I shall find out when I have(eventually) had my appointment with the spinal consultant and am told if I get a copy of the report direct from the hospital.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

A more recent experience with NHS data was a request for vaccination records. Since the Covid business it has been possible to check on recent vaccinations online, but that only seems to work for quite recent vaccinations where a computer data entry procedure has been followed. Also some vaccinations can be done at pharmacies. I can recall having one flu jab done at a supermarket pharmacy. Those vaccinations are not automatically recorded on a GP or NHS data base AFAIK - but a request can be made to have them added to one's own record if one is sufficiently motivated to keep a consistent and up to date record.

I wanted details of other vaccinations I'd had - though mostly in the last 20 or so years. I put in a request to the GP surgery, and was eventually phoned by a practice nurse. She told me that she had over 100 pages of text to scan through, but could she send over the few pages relevant to the vaccinations I wanted to confirm. I agreed, and a few pages were sent over to me - basically as scanned text files. There were details of other consultations I'd had, not just restricted to vaccinations. The comments from various doctors were vaguely amusing - and not always consistent. I was marked down as an ex smoker by one doctor - as I "confessed" that I'd tried a few cigarettes and cigars around 50 years ago. I had told other doctors before that, and they just laughed and said it was insignificant.

Presumably I could insist that all my text data is sent over to me - but I haven't bothered. Maybe I should, to find out what happened to me when I was very young!

The UK contrasts with Sweden, where it is possible to walk into any pharmacy and get one's own prescription(s) dealt with almost immediately. Some have said that this is because Sweden is a small country [physically it isn't, but the population is significantly smaller than the UK] - but that seems nonsense to me. The technology infrastructure in Sweden may be much better than the UK's - though it isn't always possible to be sure.

Privacy rules and issues like the GDPR might have an impact, though they could often just be excuses for other actions - or inactions, or maybe not actually "excuses", but just a consequence of a kind of muddled informal system. Such rules mean that if one suspects that someone needs help it's hard to get them that, but there are ways round that.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  A more recent experience with NHS data was a request for vaccination records.
                  I referred to this in an earlier post, and your post prompted me to try and access my online medical records again. A previous attempt in the past few months failed as there was no Login button anywhere, and the route I'd used previously to get online access(by logging in to the appointment booking link and going sideways) didn't seem to be available. I've just spent some time rummaging and been able to login, which is something, not least as I've found the letter the spinal consultant sent to the practice back in October following an initial review appointment.
                  The so-called vaccination record is, as before, a work of fiction, although the Covid jabs are noted in my general records. I can't see the point of its existence as it bears no relation to the jabs I have had and therefore my current protection status.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Since the Covid business it has been possible to check on recent vaccinations online, but that only seems to work for quite recent vaccinations where a computer data entry procedure has been followed. Also some vaccinations can be done at pharmacies. I can recall having one flu jab done at a supermarket pharmacy. Those vaccinations are not automatically recorded on a GP or NHS data base AFAIK - but a request can be made to have them added to one's own record if one is sufficiently motivated to keep a consistent and up to date record.
                    I had my Covid jabs at a local pharmacy but if I check the NHS app all flu and Covid jabs are recorded along with details of the various contacts I've had with the surgery/GP eg about the recent shortages of medication.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I had my Covid jabs at a local pharmacy but if I check the NHS app all flu and Covid jabs are recorded along with details of the various contacts I've had with the surgery/GP eg about the recent shortages of medication.
                      Same with me - my last jab was given at a pharmacy I'd never previously visited, two miles from where I live, and after giving my name and postal address they immediately checked their screen and confirmed my name and that of my surgery.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Plastic toothpaste tubes.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

And there was I thinking "well, and the same to you"...

...when I realised this was a new grumble!.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

You might be able to recycle them, if that's the cause of your grouse.

Increasingly, yes. But not necessarily in your home recycling. Here's what to do with empty toothpaste tubes

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

You might be able to recycle them, if that's the cause of your grouse.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article...s-arxn68h3e2g0
                              I do recycle them. Wash them out and put the tops in the metal-and-lids bag. But when the tube's getting empty you can fold up the metal tubes as you go, gradually pushing the toothpaste up to the top. But the plastic ones unfold again and you have to start from the bottom again. I really don't know how I cope

So it's just me, then?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

I do recycle them. Wash them out and put the tops in the metal-and-lids bag. But when the tube's getting empty you can fold up the metal tubes as you go, gradually pushing the toothpaste up to the top. But the plastic ones unfold again and you have to start from the bottom again. I really don't know how I cope

So it's just me, then?
                                You need a toothpaste tube squeezer!

Comment

Working...
                                X