• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

And set to get even less so?

When I first read about this idea I wondered how the small matter of 1st class delivery was going to be dealt with - if at all. I still don't know, and can't help thinking that if Saturday deliveries are dropped there isn't going to be any push to make sure that customers are aware that the extra 50 p won't mean a letter gets to its destination any quicker than 2nd class would, if it's posted on a Friday.
    That reminds me of the old joke about visitors being shown around an Aeroflot airliner. "And here we have second class", says the guide, "and here, first class" "Er, excuse me" says one of the visitors, "I was always taught Russia was a classless society!". "That's perfectly true" replies the guide. "Then, how come you have first and second class compartments here, in your aeroplanes?"asks the questioner. "Oh it's perfectly simple really", answers the guide, "The first class passengers pay more".

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

I've just looked at the schedules for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and am now developing Grinch tendencies. As there is almost nothing on TV to tempt I was rather relying on the radio - silly me...
      The CD player is going to be busy, but that just isn't the same, not least as I then have to make all the decisions and there are no surprises.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        I've just looked at the schedules for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and am now developing Grinch tendencies. As there is almost nothing on TV to tempt I was rather relying on the radio - silly me...
        The CD player is going to be busy, but that just isn't the same, not least as I then have to make all the decisions and there are no surprises.
        My impression also. I too fortunately have many DVDs and old VHS tapes of old British movies to keep me going. Sadly my JVC KD-WR90 cassette deck finally died this evening, leaving me with only the cheap radio cassette player I bought a while back as standby, with its poor quality sound reproduction and very weak bass. I'm like a junkie without his supply without decent listening equipment. Looks like I am going to have to trawl the local charity shops in the new year and look out for any chuck outs, sometimes to be found in the wake of Christmas.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I think it's accepted now that Christmas TV doesn't have the same eclat it had in the days before videos and the internet. Then, it might be your only chance of seeing a particular film or actor. I think TV people must be very worried about the future.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            I think it's accepted now that Christmas TV doesn't have the same eclat it had in the days before videos and the internet. Then, it might be your only chance of seeing a particular film or actor. I think TV people must be very worried about the future.
            The dearth of TV interest I'm resigned to. I've never been a film person, and it's been a long time since I found anything of interest in the TV series(of whatever type) put out now, so "Christmas Specials" are off, unless they are the ancient ones - Morecambe and Wise and suchlike. Perhaps if I was more connected to the modern way of accessing such things I might find more of interest.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              For some time now, TV schedulers have kept their top films and other offerings for the New Year, as viewing figures over the Christmas season have been steadily declining, with the most popular programmes nowadays attracting 6 million viewers at best. The only Christmas Special that I shall be watching is 'Ghosts'.
              One sign of the times is that some BBC programmes are now available on iPlayer before they're shown on linear TV, and many can be 'binge-watched' as soon as, or even before, the first episode has aired.
              Last edited by LMcD; 24-12-23, 11:02.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

My impression also. I too fortunately have many DVDs and old VHS tapes of old British movies to keep me going. Sadly my JVC KD-WR90 cassette deck finally died this evening, leaving me with only the cheap radio cassette player I bought a while back as standby, with its poor quality sound reproduction and very weak bass. I'm like a junkie without his supply without decent listening equipment. Looks like I am going to have to trawl the local charity shops in the new year and look out for any chuck outs, sometimes to be found in the wake of Christmas.
                There are some Sony decks on eBay which might suit you.

I have a deck which ought to be good, but that assumes that the belt hasn't deteriorated, plus a few other issues.

If your JVC was good, it might be worth trying to get it fixed - depends what the problems with it are. There are people who do that kind of thing, though they are sometimes difficult to find or pricey.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

When our family we meet up at Christmas the last thing we want to do is watch TV. The board games come out. The exception which our children (now 40-ish) still insist on is The Snowman.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    When our family we meet up at Christmas the last thing we want to do is watch TV. The board games come out. The exception which our children (now 40-ish) still insist on is The Snowman.
                    Bored games

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Bored games
                      Or Jig Sores!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Or Jig Sores!
                        Even worse!

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Or Jig Sores!
                          I did consider borrowing one from the library, but the last 2 times I did that I had a very large dining table, and I wasn't sure I wanted the faff of working round a 'work in progress' on the replacement smaller one. Even though it's only me eating I'm not a plate on lap person. Given the dire state of the R3 schedules though perhaps I should have got one anyway, and brought the small folding bistro table in from behind the shed for mealtimes. Hindsight is tiresome at times...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

There are some Sony decks on eBay which might suit you.

I have a deck which ought to be good, but that assumes that the belt hasn't deteriorated, plus a few other issues.

If your JVC was good, it might be worth trying to get it fixed - depends what the problems with it are. There are people who do that kind of thing, though they are sometimes difficult to find or pricey.
                            Hi Dave

Some of those Ebays a bit pricier than I'd anticipated - which demonstrates there's still a need for those old machines. I did take mine to a local chap a couple of months ago, who has been very dependable in the past. Both decks had seized up. He was only able to do a temporary repair on one of them, citing unavailability of spare parts.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Even worse!
                              Being a bot slow on the uptake for some reason today, that took me a while to "get", having wondered if jig sores were possibly a result of participating in strip poker!

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Hi Dave

Some of those Ebays a bit pricier than I'd anticipated - which demonstrates there's still a need for those old machines. I did take mine to a local chap a couple of months ago, who has been very dependable in the past. Both decks had seized up. He was only able to do a temporary repair on one of them, citing unavailability of spare parts.
                                Depends what the parts are. There are people who can and will make new parts as replacements, but perhaps they are hobbyists with unusual skills. Rotating parts or bearings can often be turned on lathes - though assuming they are metal, clearly the right kind of metal has to be used, which may present another problem. Nowadays some plastic parts can be made using 3D printers. Finding people with the right kind of knowledge and skills for good repairs is difficult.

Some of the pricier offerings from eBay might actually be worthwhile if the units are in good working condition. I think waiting for cassettes to make a come back, as turntables seem to some extent to have done, would be a very long and probably fruitless strain on your patience.

If you wanted to get either your own machines fixed, or a suitable replacement, I might [but no guarantees] be able to point you in the direction of some people who could help if you PM me.

One of these days I'll try to get my own cassette deck working again. In its day it was very good.

Comment

Working...
                                X