Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
        Again, bloody office dog. Why?
        I expect he/she is “ very friendly”.
        Quite why some dog owners don’t understand that some other people don’t actually want dogs in their space is unfathomable to me.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Quite why some dog owners don’t understand that some other people don’t actually want dogs in their space is unfathomable to me.
          Reminds me of my uncle who was in a care home, glaring at a woman who came in with a Tricky Woo or similar. "She's going to bring it over here in a minute and I shall have to pat it."
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Whips are only permitted in the Commons nowadays!
            ... and in horse racing!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Dogs in cafés, dogs in shops, dogs on public transport, dogs in public open spaces...

...well just dogs basically, and (as above) owners who think everbody wants to be slavered, smelled, licked or "hugged" by their dog

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2007

Agreed. They first allowed him in while we were on holiday back in March. I've several times expressed my utter displeasure with this. No one listens, everyone else thinks it's great. They fawn over him and I find it totally and utterly nauseating.
                Best regards,
                Jonathan

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Only two wheels on the pavement? Here they park with all four on the pavement! There are two sections of wide pavements in town where drivers seem to get away with this and on more than one occasion I've had a vehicle behind me honking the horn telling me to get out of the way - on the pavement!

It's a case of keep death off the roads - drive on the pavement!
                  I loved it in Sheffield, where I think the Labour council got carried away with repainting the roads in the early decade of this century, and put in a whole lot of cycle "tracks" by painting lines a few feet out from the pavement - supposedly for cyclists to use the strip of road adjacent to the pavement.

Guess what - all the cars park over that and also with their wheels on the pavement.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I trust this is ironic!

In recent months I have become more acquainted with one dog, now belonging to a family member. I would not wish it dead, or harmed, but if it didn't already exist I wouldn't mind that either.

I can't see the point of having dogs as pets, and indeed I think they are more demanding than goldfish.

It is quite curious and interesting to observe dog behaviour, but that doesn't mean that anyone or everyone should have to put up with them.

Possibly sheep dogs and guide dogs do serve a useful purpose - other dogs can be rather a nuisance.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

.....Well you certainly seem to be more demanding than a goldfish Dave....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        .....Well you certainly seem to be more demanding than a goldfish Dave....
                        Don't ever call him Sniffer, though!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          I can't see the point of having dogs as pets
                          Can you see the point of having pets?

and indeed I think they are more demanding than goldfish.
                          True. Very true. But are goldfish pets?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

<<<"Can you see the point of having pets?">>>....well of course not , not being able to see the point would take us well away from the generosity of spirit that some of us are known for....and some of us consider large koi carp (not the small ones, mind) as, well, friendly enough....tho' obvious problems with out of tank experiences makes them difficult to invite around for coffee in an impromptu manner....anyway....
                            bong ching

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Can you see the point of having pets?
                              For some people yes, but for me right now, no.

Seeing the point of almost anything is often an almost unanswerable question. Can we see the point of listening to classical music, or rock music, or going to an art gallery etc.?

So actually it comes down to liking, and trying to justify one's likes might be very hard.

In the case of pets - such as dogs, cats etc., I don't necessarily dislike them, but I don't like them enough to want to spend my time looking after them.
                              Obviously other people feel differently.

Koi carp have been mentioned, and oddly they can be aware of human activity outside their pools. They will notice if one goes close and throws in food.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Koi carp have been mentioned, and oddly they can be aware of human activity outside their pools. They will notice if one goes close and throws in food.
                                Sometimes you see them swim up to people looking into the pool and come to the surface with mouths open even if those people do not bring food

Comment

Working...
                                X