X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
    Idiots who put the air-conditioning on when the window is open. I would've ranted about this on Facebook however, I'm connected to most of my colleagues there and they'd see it
    Agreed - but apart from some commercial and industrial premises and the super-rich who has air conditioning in this country?

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Agreed - but apart from some commercial and industrial premises and the super-rich who has air conditioning in this country?
      I assumed he meant in a car?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

I assumed he meant in a car?
        Fair point

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

The availability of portable units means that many more have some form of air conditioning than might be assumed - but not in the sense of centralised whole building set-ups admittedly. In theory that could change with an increase in heat pump installation?
          But yes, like Joseph K I assumed that Jonathan was referring to cars.

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2007

Hi all, the air conditioning is in my office building - it's a unit set into the ceiling. It always blows freezing cold air directly in my direction so I always turn it off. Being a chilly mortal, personally I'd never turn the damn thing on.
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

I used to work in an air-conditioned office. I'd arrive at 8 when it was cool, work till 12 and go out for lunch, not realising how much it had heated up outside. It was like stepping into a hot bath. Unlike Jonathan, I loathe hot weather, so a September heatwave, after the summer we've had , is like a slap in the face (or a stab in the back) to me!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                I used to work in an air-conditioned office. I'd arrive at 8 when it was cool, work till 12 and go out for lunch, not realising how much it had heated up outside. It was like stepping into a hot bath. Unlike Jonathan, I loathe hot weather, so a September heatwave, after the summer we've had , is like a slap in the face (or a stab in the back) to me!
                Yes, I have some sympathy with your POV...

...anything (inside or outside) over 22-23°C is too hot!

(Currently inside, windows open, no air conditioning - portable or otherwise - installed).

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

(Currently inside, windows open, no air conditioning - portable or otherwise - installed).
                  Don't worry, another seemingly endless dreary winter isn't far away!
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

Do we know this already?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Inside, windows closed, curtains closed, Temperature inside = 23.8°C. That outside, in the shade, = 28°C.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Inside, windows closed, curtains closed, Temperature inside = 23.8°C. That outside, in the shade, = 28°C.
                        Same here (though I don't do decimal points. In winter, sans heating, the temperature went down to 9C last winter This summer (sans air con) up to 25C.

But my grumble is my bread. It's perfectly edible and even though it's white (my wholemeal is worse) it's better than most shop bought in having no additives (dried yeast?). Today I emptied an entire sachet of yeast into a small loaf to see what would happen. Admitedly I've had a lot worse. [So mustn't grumble].

It's due to be up to 30C at 15.00.

The sky is quite overcast so the temperature in the garden is quite pleaant.
                        Last edited by french frank; 07-09-23, 14:11.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          Do we know this already?
                          It would appear that climate change is meaning that Brazil foregoes having any winter this year.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

I awoke at 5 am this morning, and checked the inside thermometer - it was reading 21 C. This was after four days' keeping curtains and windows closed on the south side. Outside it was 17 C, so I did what seems to have worked relatively well during heatwaves, providing they have not persisted for long, I opened all curtains, windows and entrance door, and wafted outside air in and through the flat by swinging each door in turn. I've only known one very long heatwave when this trick was not sufficient to keep things cool inside, but by the time the weather broke I had more-or-less acclimatized to the slowly rising indoor temperature.

If we reach a stage within my lifetime when heatwaves look likely to make up the bulk if every summer, I shall probably invest in one of those mini air conditioners that are starting to appear on the market. I do realize they're not supposed to be environmentally friendly, and were I younger I'd probably take a coldish bath instead before settling down for the night, the way I used to, but ageing now suggests against doing that.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I awoke at 5 am this morning, and checked the inside thermometer - it was reading 21 C. This was after four days' keeping curtains and windows closed on the south side. Outside it was 17 C, so I did what seems to have worked relatively well during heatwaves, providing they have not persisted for long, I opened all curtains, windows and entrance door, and wafted outside air in and through the flat by swinging each door in turn. I've only known one very long heatwave when this trick was not sufficient to keep things cool inside, but by the time the weather broke I had more-or-less acclimatized to the slowly rising indoor temperature.

If we reach a stage within my lifetime when heatwaves look likely to make up the bulk if every summer, I shall probably invest in one of those mini air conditioners that are starting to appear on the market. I do realize they're not supposed to be environmentally friendly, and were I younger I'd probably take a coldish bath instead before settling down for the night, the way I used to, but ageing now suggests against doing that.
                              The windows and back garden door* will be wide open from about 11 pm tonight (21°C forecast for outside) until dawn or so (18°C.forecast). Then all windows and exterior doors will get shut, with curtains closed for the day, tomorrow. Also, quick cold shower just before bed, tonight.

* Best of luck to any miscreant hoping to get into the back garden with ill intent.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Just now back from the chemist's with my regular prescription. Ramiprils? yes; Asprins? yes; Atorvastatins? "Er. we aren't handing out statins any more". WHAT!!!??? Everyone's on statins... everyone over 65's hooked on statins, I say: they've been keeping me alive for the past ten years! "I'm afraid we can't get them at those dosages... there's a shortage, nobody can". Well the solution's quite simple I said, people will just start dropping dead all over the place. That'll solve the problem. I could have asked if I could buy them over the counter, but that didn't occur to me and in any case might contravene NHS rules, I don't know. Could I get a different dosage over the counter - one where I would expect to cut each tab in half or something? Well they said I should re-contact them on Wednesday. Fortunately I am well liked at that pharmacy (unlike the nearest one just down the hill which belongs to a different chain); I am uncomfortable with blameless staff (whom I happen to like very much) taking the flak for someone else's failures - this surely being why one has been hearing of abuse targetted at pharmacy employees. But experts are insistent one should never drop any regular drug without first taking "doctor's advice". After telling them I still have 3 tabs left (it's 7 actually), I got a vague impression from whispers from the rear where they sort out the orders that they might go out of their way just to fix me.. and I'm not comfortable with that either.

Comment

Working...
                                X