X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Were Foyles using PayPal as a vehicle for credit/debit card payments, rather than for directly making the payment from a PayPal account?

When I have ordered online, I have used debit card, but PayPal provides the electronic facility for use thereof.
    This came up in a recent consumer query I read about; person paid with card then when problems arose there was a lot of being bounced between card company, company from which goods purchased and Paypal. The customer was infuriated to fine that Paypal was involved, adding to the problems, as that was not a choice made at the time of purchase(although I assume that there would - somewhere - have had to be notice that Paypal would be involved in processing the transaction to comply with privacy policy etc).

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      This came up in a recent consumer query I read about; person paid with card then when problems arose there was a lot of being bounced between card company, company from which goods purchased and Paypal. The customer was infuriated to fine that Paypal was involved, adding to the problems, as that was not a choice made at the time of purchase(although I assume that there would - somewhere - have had to be notice that Paypal would be involved in processing the transaction to comply with privacy policy etc).
      I avoid Paypal because of the charges but if companies use it to process card payment then so be it!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

The e-classical site steers users away from Paypal - on their daily download cut-price offers. They say there is little left over after Paypal charges. As I trust the site, I'll pay by card.

Generally, there is consumer protection on items where their individual value is over £100 by using credit cards (so not over £100 where that is the total of items less than £100 ). Where I don't get the credit card protection, and I don't know I can trust the trader, I will use Paypal as there are some protections (although I've never had to use it). Paypal will, for example, give a refund guarantee (and presumably recover the costs from the trader) in cases of non-delivery. If there is a problem on a Paypal transaction though, I understand there are quite rigid limits on making the claim and in following up in their process so its important not to delay.

There might be some protections in using debit cards but I don't know about them. I only use Debit cards for cash machines and not purchases as I regard them as risky - I don't want traders purchase systems having access to card details drawing directly on my bank account - as the onus would be on me to prove fraud and recover my money to the account.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Been stuck at Northampton train station for half an hour now. Looks like it'll be a late lunch for me back at home...

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Been stuck at Northampton train station for half an hour now. Looks like it'll be a late lunch for me back at home...
            As a long time commuter by train before I retired, I soon found out that there was never any point in getting wound up by the constant delays and cancellations. Grab a coffee and a good book, relax, and make something useful out of the enforced time wastage was my motto.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Just tried to do a meter reading, on Martin Lewis's advice to do this in order to remain on my existing energy tariff (EDF). Guess what? That link is, of course, down!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Grumble directed at myself and my inadequacy to do a proper search!
                Didn't there used to be a Musical questions and answers thread?
                I've got a notation query and thought that might be the best place to post it, but I can't find it.

But at least I'm not stuck in Northampton.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Grumble directed at myself and my inadequacy to do a proper search!
                  Didn't there used to be a Musical questions and answers thread?
                  I've got a notation query and thought that might be the best place to post it, but I can't find it.

But at least I'm not stuck in Northampton.
                  I'm waiting at Birmingham New Street now. I've bumped the thread.

And yes, while a coffee was off the cards even if I drank the stuff, I do have some good reading material, as S_A might know.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    I'm waiting at Birmingham New Street now. I've bumped the thread.

And yes, while a coffee was off the cards even if I drank the stuff, I do have some good reading material, as S_A might know.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Just tried to do a meter reading, on Martin Lewis's advice to do this in order to remain on my existing energy tariff (EDF). Guess what? That link is, of course, down!
                      I don't know about staying on a given tariff, but I've done a meter reading so that when the bill appears that includes the price increase it will be calculated from the correct figure rather than a guesstimate which is how mid-term increases are routinely calculated - whether energy, water or whatever. I've also taken a photo of the meter plus reading as belt and braces. I haven't looked at how best to send the figures; I think it might confuse their system if I just send it part way through the quarter using the link they normally send via email asking for my meter reading, so perhaps just a notification by the general email route. The main thing is that I have the figures now.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Some suggestions:

British Gas, E.On and EDF are among the suppliers affected, ahead of a price rise on Friday.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Thanks ff. I've managed just now to register readings after being blocked an hour ago; the next page - after I had clicked SUBMIT - said sorry, they are experiencing technical problems today, try again later; I then back-paged to make another attempt and it stated that I had already submitted my readings today. So, all I can really do is assume they've passed through the system, but that technical difficulties can't tell me so! There's really nothing more one can do - fortunately my increases are relatively modest compared with others we've been hearing about: up from £84 to £107 for my dual tariff.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

In the past, my energy company (EON Next) has split the bill to read from, to take today's example, the end of my last bill to March 31 (old charges) then another entry, from April to April 10, the next due date (new charges). I'd fully expect this to happen again so all this meter reading nonsense seems a bit silly. I'm also on smart meter so I can't see any point in it as today's readings look about right.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              In the past, my energy company (EON Next) has split the bill to read from, to take today's example, the end of my last bill to March 31 (old charges) then another entry, from April to April 10, the next due date (new charges). I'd fully expect this to happen again so all this meter reading nonsense seems a bit silly. I'm also on smart meter so I can't see any point in it as today's readings look about right.
                              If they don't have a meter reading at the point the prices change then whatever figure they choose for your consumption up to that date, and then from that date to when your bill is issued, is a guesstimate. When the increases were small that didn't matter too much, but given the scale of the increases this time I for one want to do better than guesstimate. The figures for standing charges will be accurate as they are a flat rate (exorbitant for electricity in my view) per day so actual consumption is irrelevant.
                              As far as smart meters go, an article in the Guardian says this
                              depending on how it is set up, your meter may not automatically send a reading on 31 March.
                              and also
                              British Gas told us that its smart meters take readings at set times determined by the customer, but there is nothing to stop them logging in and submitting an additional one on 31 March.
                              Ensure you get the current, cheaper rates for all the energy you use right up to the end of Thursday 31 March

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Somewhat OT, I am with Good Energy and had no problem, whatever, registering my meter reading online this afternoon (just the gas one. It's still not connected to the smart system due to problems with its flexible feed piping).

Comment

Working...
                                X