X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    The fad for fading music in while the presenter is still speaking seems to have spread to COTW
    Indeed - I noticed that just now, the moment the beginning of "La demoiselle élue" was turned into "La demoiselle submergé".

I hope someone complains - COTW is one of our last boltholes.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      We commisserated on my similar behalf a few months back, and I managed to get a fairly quick appointment with my (private) dentist, who extracted the problematic tooth, and I've been OK on that front since, so I do hope some solution comes your way ere too long. Having a private dentist has not proved much more costly than an NHS one, and this is in London, so maybe if you presented your obvious woes to a local one near you I'm sure they'd manage to squeeze you in in short time. In the meantime my remedy was Paracetamol, having found Ibuprofen useless when it came to pains in the mouth - as opposed to other parts of the anatomy!
      ....I should look up the possible problems you might get by taking Ibrufen with your heart meds....I believe long term they might not mix well IIRC....
      bong ching

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        If we phone the GP we are asked to describe symptoms to a receptionist who passes the info to the GP who in turn phones back later and if appropriate asks you to attend the surgery. Sounds cumbersome but actually works quite well in practice. It's a two doctor practice but fortunately never takes too long to get through by phone.
        My local practice, for which I have huge regard, requests 'if possible' using an 'e-consult', i.e. filling in a lengthy online form to describe symptoms. I've used it only once, as it has been designed as a triage process, apparently without the option of its acknowleging the fact that the patient is known to the practice - hence several questions requesting details of current medication, prior history etc. I find this irritating, and a poor example of use of IT.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          ....I should look up the possible problems you might get by taking Ibrufen with your heart meds....I believe long term they might not mix well IIRC....
          Being on statins etc I did actually raise this with my GP some years ago, and he advised me that as long as I limited my Ibuprofen intake to a week I should be OK. I happen to hate taking painkillers in any case, since, like hard drugs, long term they tend to reduce in effectiveness.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Being on statins etc I did actually raise this with my GP some years ago, and he advised me that as long as I limited my Ibuprofen intake to a week I should be OK. I happen to hate taking painkillers in any case, since, like hard drugs, long term they tend to reduce in effectiveness.
            ....yes can't have that....some of your puns might get dreadful....
            bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              My local practice, for which I have huge regard, requests 'if possible' using an 'e-consult', i.e. filling in a lengthy online form to describe symptoms. I've used it only once, as it has been designed as a triage process, apparently without the option of its acknowleging the fact that the patient is known to the practice - hence several questions requesting details of current medication, prior history etc. I find this irritating, and a poor example of use of IT.
              ....dire....at point of illness when one is most impatient....and yearning for help....<once bitten twice shy>
              bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                ....yes can't have that....some of your puns might get dreadful....
                Too late, alas!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  It might be the ex-bureaucrat in me, but I quite like e-consult, if its not an urgent matter. I can put in all the details and points I need to make – and its on record – I always make the point I’m happy to discuss on the ‘phone as I have kept my own copy and have the text of the message.

I got a copy of my recent medical record when I secured a referral to a non-NHS consultant and although the record it wasn’t notably incorrect, it certainly sold the events I’d undergone short. Using e-consult they cannot ignore all the points I am making – I think it might end up with being taken more seriously – and for some of these instances the next action would need to be a face to face appointment in order to show a proper approach to the situation.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

On February 23, I ordered a book from Foyles, using them instead of Amazon as I had a National Book Token to use up. I duly filled in my card details on the online form and had confirmation of the order by email.

Two weeks later, on March 9, I received an email from Foyles customer support saying that my Paypal payment had been declined and they had sent me an invoice via Paypal for the balance. The thing is: I hadn't paid by Paypal in the first place and had no intention of paying any other way than by my usual debit card. I registered with Paypal about 15 years ago but have hardly ever used it, perhaps two or three times. The order confirmation clearly states that payment was made by credit/debit card so I have no idea where Paypal come into it.

I immediately sent them an email stating the above and inviting them to provide a telephone number for me to settle the balance. To date there has has been no response whatever and as far as I am concerned the order is cancelled.

The book industry are always complaining about the business that Amazon are taking from them. Is it any wonder people use Amazon when faced with this poor level of customer support?
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      On February 23, I ordered a book from Foyles, using them instead of Amazon as I had a National Book Token to use up. I duly filled in my card details on the online form and had confirmation of the order by email.

Two weeks later, on March 9, I received an email from Foyles customer support saying that my Paypal payment had been declined and they had sent me an invoice via Paypal for the balance. The thing is: I hadn't paid by Paypal in the first place and had no intention of paying any other way than by my usual debit card. I registered with Paypal about 15 years ago but have hardly ever used it, perhaps two or three times. The order confirmation clearly states that payment was made by credit/debit card so I have no idea where Paypal come into it.

I immediately sent them an email stating the above and inviting them to provide a telephone number for me to settle the balance. To date there has has been no response whatever and as far as I am concerned the order is cancelled.

The book industry are always complaining about the business that Amazon are taking from them. Is it any wonder people use Amazon when faced with this poor level of customer support?
                      Pet, you are aware that Foyles is part of Waterstones now, as indeed is Blackwells ?

Anyway, a very odd issue you have there.

Just to reiterate, for those who want an independent bookstore, and don’t have one close by, there are plenty of independent onliners offering good prices and service, notably A Great Read , Books Etc, Hive, Bookshop.org, and so on.

Book Depository is Amazon.
                      Foyles and Blackwells are Waterstones.
                      Wordery is owned by the same finance outfit as Waterstones.

And you can support your local indie by buying from Hive or Blackwells.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Pet, you are aware that Foyles is part of Waterstones now, as indeed is Blackwells ?

Anyway, a very odd issue you have there.

Just to reiterate, for those who want an independent bookstore, and don’t have one close by, there are plenty of independent onliners offering good prices and service, notably A Great Read , Books Etc, Hive, Bookshop.org, and so on.

Book Depository is Amazon.
                        Foyles and Blackwells are Waterstones.
                        Wordery is owned by the same finance outfit as Waterstones.

And you can support your local indie by buying from Hive or Blackwells.
                        Thanks. ts, was hoping you would reply. Yes, I knew Foyles were part of Waterstones (ditto Blackwells) but I've used Foyles before, without trouble, when I previously had National Book Token which can only be used in certain shops or online (not Amazon).

Can you confirm that I can use the National Book Token online at the people you mention?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Were Foyles using PayPal as a vehicle for credit/debit card payments, rather than for directly making the payment from a PayPal account?

When I have ordered online, I have used debit card, but PayPal provides the electronic facility for use thereof.
                          Last edited by Old Grumpy; 15-03-22, 15:10. Reason: Rogue autoapostrophe strikes again!

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            We're Foyles using PayPal as a vehicle for credit/debit card payments, rather than for directly making the payment from a PayPal account?

When I have ordered online, I have used debit card, but PayPal provides the electronic facility for use thereof.
                            In short, I don't know but most transactions seem to be done using Worldpay as a vehicle. From memory of the Foyles online form I'm sure that there was a choice between paying via credit/debit card in the usual way and using Paypal as an alternative. The fact that Paypal declined is probably because they have my old debit card on their system as I've not used them for years. However, I never used Paypal for this transaction or intended to, and Foyles' very poor customer support is beyond belief woeful.

Sorry, ts, but I will be using Amazon exclusively for all book purchases. They don't accept National Book Tokens (few do) and I might look to use it up somewhere but I've hardly ever had a bad experience with Amazon in over 15 years and many purchases.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Sadly, very few independent booksellers accept National Book Tokens online.
                              Here's a list of those that do:

Spend National Book Tokens gift cards online with hundreds UK and Irish bookshops (bookshop.org, Foyles, Blackwell's, Waterstones, O'Mahony's, Dubray, Stanfords, Bookstation)

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                In short, I don't know but most transactions seem to be done using Worldpay as a vehicle. From memory of the Foyles online form I'm sure that there was a choice between paying via credit/debit card in the usual way and using Paypal as an alternative. The fact that Paypal declined is probably because they have my old debit card on their system as I've not used them for years. However, I never used Paypal for this transaction or intended to, and Foyles' very poor customer support is beyond belief woeful.

Sorry, ts, but I will be using Amazon exclusively for all book purchases. They don't accept National Book Tokens (few do) and I might look to use it up somewhere but I've hardly ever had a bad experience with Amazon in over 15 years and many purchases.
                                I can’t help on the payment issue re book tokens any more than others have already.
                                Amazon offer amazing service. Like all publishers, we are caught between not wanting to support Amazon who literally pay no corporation tax, and having to survive as a business, and despite the apparent scruples that the public have over Amazon tax avoidance, people still buy from Amazon in vast numbers, and we simply wouldn’t survive without them. And they are actually pretty good to do business with , in the main. For now, anyway.
                                We do try to support other businesses with good terms and marketing support, and our extremely professional distributors offer those businesses excellent service, but it is an uphill battle .
                                In the main, I would suggest that Amazon’s superb delivery and competitive prices are what win out. Many of our titles are available at Amazon prices with free delivery from other onliners, and we do good business with them, but Amazon is a juggernaut. It would be good if people could at least spread their business around a little more, esp the non urgent purchases.( Not intending to have a go at anybody here, I use Amazon when necessary!)
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X