• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    I've received this now.

I'm getting ripped-off. I was going to write an email to DG but as the letter makes clear, my email to DG would amount to "hey, Brexit happened, can I have some recompense"

I guess I could cancel the whole thing and request a refund from DG. But that would involve waiting even longer, I think; no doubt other - more sensible - people would have no problem waiting longer when it involves saving a fair amount of money - not me though. I've learnt my lesson - do not order expensive goods from overseas.

I wasn't going to post this but felt like a rant!
    Why and in what way did Eine Alpensinfonie see fit to edit this post??

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Yeah, and hung me out to dry on the Haydn 49 thread....

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Ok - the set cost 200 euros + 17.45 euros for shipping costs. On top of that Parcelforce, on behalf of HM Revenues & Customs, have charged 33 pound Import VAT + 12 pound Clearance Fee.

The back of the letter explains how items over 135 pounds from overseas are subject to such costs.

I coughed up because I do have more money than patience, it seems...
        Painful but probably the best course of action, given that trying to get a refund (even assuming a reason was accepted for such an action) quite possibly wouldn't have been cost free( if its return is demanded) and might well have involved more time and hassle. The experiences I mentioned earlier that I have read about suggest that even where the company accepts liability for faulty or damaged goods (ie legal requirement for refund) actually getting the money is not guaranteed, for all sorts of reasons.
        Sending items to family abroad (EU) always involved thought as to the cost, but now I don't even think about doing it because it seems too much of a lottery as to whether it would arrive and if it does whether the recipient will be landed with extra charges. Not just annoying, but also sad as there have been new additions to and events in the family which would previously have occasioned the sending of a small personalised item.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Asterix has been banished?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I've just looked. I can't see that he changed anything. Probably hit the Edit button by mistake, but it still throws up an 'Edited by' note.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Painful but probably the best course of action, given that trying to get a refund (even assuming a reason was accepted for such an action) quite possibly wouldn't have been cost free( if its return is demanded) and might well have involved more time and hassle. The experiences I mentioned earlier that I have read about suggest that even where the company accepts liability for faulty or damaged goods (ie legal requirement for refund) actually getting the money is not guaranteed, for all sorts of reasons.
              Sending items to family abroad (EU) always involved thought as to the cost, but now I don't even think about doing it because it seems too much of a lottery as to whether it would arrive and if it does whether the recipient will be landed with extra charges. Not just annoying, but also sad as there have been new additions to and events in the family which would previously have occasioned the sending of a small personalised item.
              Can you order items from a supplier in the country concerned and avoid additional charges (apart from currency conversions). We have done this with our daughter and son-in-law in Canada in the past.

OG

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I've just looked. I can't see that he changed anything. Probably hit the Edit button by mistake, but it still throws up an 'Edited by' note.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Can you order items from a supplier in the country concerned and avoid additional charges (apart from currency conversions). We have done this with our daughter and son-in-law in Canada in the past.

OG
                  Probably not.... https://www.litrg.org.uk/latest-news...hopping-online

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

That link is about customs charges for imports, but the suggestion was to purchase the intended present in the other person's home country, thereby obviating the need to pay import duties.

We do this regularly with friends in the USA. We purchase their Christmas presents from Amazon US (or another US retailer) and have the item delivered direct to their door. They often do the same and order presents for us from a UK website and have them delivered to us. Not only does this avoid customs charges, but postage costs are also much lower (and sometimes non-existent)
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                      That link is about customs charges for imports, but the suggestion was to purchase the intended present in the other person's home country, thereby obviating the need to pay import duties.

We do this regularly with friends in the USA. We purchase their Christmas presents from Amazon US (or another US retailer) and have the item delivered direct to their door. They often do the same and order presents for us from a UK website and have them delivered to us. Not only does this avoid customs charges, but postage costs are also much lower (and sometimes non-existent)
                      Thanks. That's indeed what I was suggesting.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LHC View Post

Apologies, I wasn't concentrating.
                        Although I gather that you do have to be very careful now that a UK website/business really is that otherwise the same problems surface?

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

They're building houses just around the corner from us and today something is producing a very low-pitched rumbling noise whose frequencies are particularly irksome.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

They're building houses just around the corner from us and today something is producing a very low-pitched rumbling noise whose frequencies are particularly irksome.
                            One of the construction workers probably came along with his cassette player and some Belgian Techno, I expect.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              One of the construction workers probably came along with his cassette player and some Belgian Techno, I expect.
                              lol.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

I find it really annoying when recordings are released with no identification of who played on them. I recently acquired a large number of CDs from a local ad onthe Facebook marketplace - including some SOMM Beecham recordings and some Organ records but amongst the remainder were some recordings put out by The Telegragh which, though quite reasonable sounding, list composer and work but no other recording information other than they made by DELTA. They will be finding their way to a Charity Shop in the area dreckly!

Comment

Working...
                                X