• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Can someone recommend a decent disk-drive to plug into a laptop or, maybe if not that then a TV-DVD combi? I recently bought a Mahavishnu Orchestra Live at Montreux DVD and it keeps stopping within two minutes of watching it - must be my crappy disk-drive.
    Have you tried any other DVDs in the drive you have?

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Have you tried any other DVDs in the drive you have?
      No but that's a good idea.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

No but that's a good idea.
        Otherwise, try a lens-cleaning disc, preferably with a couple of drops of isopropyl alcohol on the brushes.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Otherwise, try a lens-cleaning disc, preferably with a couple of drops of isopropyl alcohol on the brushes.
          Ok.

I'm currently trying another DVD and it won't even read this one, useless thing.

Ok - I just got ten minutes into the Mahavishnu DVD. I thought my problem had solved itself, but alas it froze then stopped again.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Ok.

I'm currently trying another DVD and it won't even read this one, useless thing.

Ok - I just got ten minutes into the Mahavishnu DVD. I thought my problem had solved itself, but alas it froze then stopped again.

Worth a try. If no isopropyl alcohol is to hand, dampen the brushes with a drop (literally) or two of unflavoured vodka.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133628898...75.c101224.m-1

Worth a try. If no isopropyl alcohol is to hand, dampen the brushes with a drop (literally) or two of unflavoured vodka.

Cheers, ordered.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

More poor luck with technology...

Instead of youtube videos, I now just get a black square (weirdly though if I change to another tab then I briefly see a snippet of the video). I get the audio, but no video.

I hope this problem is temporary and goes away tomorrow - as has happened with other oddities of my laptop...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

James O'Brien saying what needs saying:

Listeners are branding this James O'Brien’s best monologue yet as he sums up exactly what he thinks is going on in this country to distract from partygate.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    James O'Brien saying what needs saying:

Listeners are branding this James O'Brien’s best monologue yet as he sums up exactly what he thinks is going on in this country to distract from partygate.

Yes, quite a good 'grumble'
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Glitches in Duolingo: sometimes when asked do I want an extra heart (I always do) I'll tap yes but it ignores it - same for gems.

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2007

Glitches in Duolingo: sometimes when asked do I want an extra heart (I always do) I'll tap yes but it ignores it - same for gems.
                        Seconded!!
                        Best regards,
                        Jonathan

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                          Seconded!!
                          I never discovered that refinement. Only lingots (I amassed 1330 because I didn't know what to do with them), crowns (357, ditto), and Streak (0 in my case). I gave up bothering with them.
                          Last edited by french frank; 05-02-22, 21:51.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Don't know what the heck is going on with Amazon. I changed my payment method a few weeks ago since prompted to do so with dire warnings if I didn't stop using my Visa payments card.

However - doesn't look as though the payments are going through to the "new" Mastercard - some hiccup along the way.

I tried to order something tonight, and was informed I was getting a reduction of £20- so would be charged £20.99,

However the payment didn't work, so I reverted to my previous (Visa) method - which seems to have worked and now seem to have been charged 0.99p.

This is total madness.

I don't mind paying 99p for something which might have cost over £40 (well certainly I might have expected to pay around £30 ...) but what is worrying is what is going on with the cards.
                            I have been notified that a few orders haven't been fulfilled or completed, yet in the case of Kindle downloads I seem to have already had the download. In one case I tried to order a Kindle book for just over a £1 when it was on offer, but then having been notified of a problem a day or two later "invited" to reorder - but at a much inflated price of around £5.

Is this online seller now incapable of getting things working properly? Who do I complain to, and how do I make sure that things are working properly - as they have done for most of this century to date?

AFAIK the Prime facility should be charged to the "new" Mastercard account - as I set that up a few weeks ago. We do rely quite heavily on Prime.

Disgruntled of the Highlands!

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

So I made the mistake of pre-ordering the new Boulez The Conductor boxed set direct from DG, since now that it is out I see it being offered for significantly less money from other vendors, and, what's more, Parcelforce is now telling me that my parcel is in their delivery depot (in Coventry) awaiting payment of custom charges! Apparently I'm to expect a letter telling me how I pay (after already paying too much for the thing - along with all the P&P or so I thought at the time).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

So I made the mistake of pre-ordering the new Boulez The Conductor boxed set direct from DG, since now that it is out I see it being offered for significantly less money from other vendors, and, what's more, Parcelforce is now telling me that my parcel is in their delivery depot (in Coventry) awaiting payment of custom charges! Apparently I'm to expect a letter telling me how I pay (after already paying too much for the thing - along with all the P&P or so I thought at the time).
                                My heart goes out to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X