• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    In earlier years (some decades ago) I would get a dose of pharyngitis every winter and was prescribed antibiotics. Then, one year a new GP suggested not taking anti-biotics but letting it run its course unless it got significantly worse. It seemed to subside about as quickly as with antibiotics. I have not experienced it since. It could just be coincidence, of course, but . . .

I imagine if something recurred in the way you describe, letting it run its course might be a sensible option...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

I've often wondered why it is that sport is always, always cited as the prime place for encouraging team spirit, self and other awareness, health, fitness, example, personal development, belonging, achievement, personal role modelling, etc etc.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Amazon’s size and laziness - so difficult to get track listings on so many CDs - in most cases all they need to do is photograph the back page!

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Amazon’s size and laziness - so difficult to get track listings on so many CDs - in most cases all they need to do is photograph the back page!
          It's worse with those big boxes where there is frequently no contents listing at all, and Presto are as bad. Even the record companies own publicity is less than ideal and if they don't release full contents listings then what chance do Amazon or Presto have?

Details do eventually appear on the record companies websites by release date but you are taking a chance if you 'pre-order'. Seasoned collectors will have a pretty good idea anyway but even I was surprised at how many of the discs in the recent 'Solti in London' box I hadn't known existed.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            It's worse with those big boxes where there is frequently no contents listing at all, and Presto are as bad. Even the record companies own publicity is less than ideal and if they don't release full contents listings then what chance do Amazon or Presto have?

Details do eventually appear on the record companies websites by release date but you are taking a chance if you 'pre-order'. Seasoned collectors will have a pretty good idea anyway but even I was surprised at how many of the discs in the recent 'Solti in London' box I hadn't known existed.
            I think you’re a little hard on Presto as they do appear to update as soon as the information gets to them. The Solti London box does go back a long way! - other than one or two I probably am happy to be without I think I have all the recordings

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

I think you’re a little hard on Presto as they do appear to update as soon as the information gets to them.
              They do, which is why I mention that the record companies themselves are the culprits. It's frustrating to see a boxed set listing on Presto or Amazon, often weeks in advance, without any details of the contents.

Amazon's contents listing has always been dire.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                They do, which is why I mention that the record companies themselves are the culprits. It's frustrating to see a boxed set listing on Presto or Amazon, often weeks in advance, without any details of the contents.

Amazon's contents listing has always been dire.
                Indeed, some of the Eloquence boxes start that way!

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

I am getting increasingly annoyed, in the build up to Christmas, with the sound of sleigh bells - they’re everywhere !

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

I am getting increasingly annoyed, in the build up to Christmas, with the sound of sleigh bells - they’re everywhere !
                    The tinnitus is troubling you? At least it's the seasonal form...

My grumble today is that my intention to have a seasonal bottle of Schloer in the cupboard has been stymied by the discovery that all versions have sweeteners in. Why? Grape juice is plenty sweet enough on its own. Don't care if it's "natural" stevia or "chemical" sucralose I hate the stuff, not least because the addition makes things so sweet that not only is the taste of the fruit itself masked, but also is overlaid with the taste of the addition. Quite apart from taste considerations Stevia does not agree with my inner workings. Presumably it's to replace sucrose that was added previously and which is now taxed, but why can we not be allowed to decide for ourselves whether to pay a bit more, avoid the sweeteners and accept the "risk" of sucrose poisoning, as happens with some other drinks?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      The tinnitus is troubling you? At least it's the seasonal form...

My grumble today is that my intention to have a seasonal bottle of Schloer in the cupboard has been stymied by the discovery that all versions have sweeteners in. Why? Grape juice is plenty sweet enough on its own. Don't care if it's "natural" stevia or "chemical" sucralose I hate the stuff, not least because the addition makes things so sweet that not only is the taste of the fruit itself masked, but also is overlaid with the taste of the addition. Quite apart from taste considerations Stevia does not agree with my inner workings. Presumably it's to replace sucrose that was added previously and which is now taxed, but why can we not be allowed to decide for ourselves whether to pay a bit more, avoid the sweeteners and accept the "risk" of sucrose poisoning, as happens with some other drinks?
                      What was/is the attraction of Schloer? There's plenty of unadulterated grape juice available, surely?

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        What was/is the attraction of Schloer? There's plenty of unadulterated grape juice available, surely?
                        Partly an annual treat but also it's sparkling and in a convenient screwtop bottle. I did look at other manufacturers similar type offerings in Tesco but either same problem or flavours I didn't want. Not the end of the world just tiresome. In earlier times, when having family at home made it feasible, it was a tetrapak of fruit juice and the Sodastream.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

You wouldn't have been happy with Georgia's first offering this morning - Handel's "Or let the merry bells ring round" - not sleigh bells but plenty tinkly even so.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

I received a letter today (24/12) from the Aintree Hospital, giving me an appointment for "CT Abdo Thorax pelvis with contrast".

The appointment, which I've been waiting for a long time, (through many Kafkaesque phone-consults, letters informing me of phone-consults which never come,, and promises of appointments that disappear like mirages...) on a very limited diet and in almost constant pain since 16/08/21 is for....21/12/21. At "0750 AM". Say again? 0750 AM.
                            Even if it had come in due time, I would never have been able to make it because of needing bed-rest for the A-Fib.

At one point I tried to get Private GP appt/referral....they were themselves overrun by those coming to them from the lack of NHS responses....
                            Wonderful old, dear old, poor old NHS! We all know who the true culprits are. We didn't even need the essential and heroic Rachel Clarke to tell us that.
                            To get another appointment I have to phone, but I know I'll never get through.

Forgive me (as a certain self-ennobling Prime Minister (now usually frowning in self-pity) recently said in a speech about....Peppa Pig...).....
                            Sometimes, despite my speciality in gallows humour, I just need to sound off....

So I guess I'll just hit the bottle again.
                            Doesn't some kind of Religious Festival Take place at this time of year?
                            So there's an excuse....
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-12-21, 17:41.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              I received a letter today (24/12) from the Aintree Hospital, giving me an appointment for "CT Abdo Thorax pelvis with contrast".

The appointment, which I've been waiting for a long time, (through many Kafkaesque phone-consults, letters informing me of phone-consults which never come,, and promises of appointments that disappear like mirages...) on a very limited diet and in almost constant pain since 16/08/21 is for....21/12/21. At "0750 AM". Say again? 0750 AM.
                              Even if it had come in due time, I would never have been able to make it because of needing bed-rest for the A-Fib.

At one point I tried to get Private GP appt/referral....they were themselves overrun by those coming to them from the lack of NHS responses....
                              Wonderful old, dear old, poor old NHS! We all know who the true culprits are. We didn't even need the essential and heroic Rachel Clarke to tell us that.
                              To get another appointment I have to phone, but I know I'll never get through.

Forgive me (as a certain self-ennobling Prime Minister (now usually frowning in self-pity) recently said in a speech about....Peppa Pig...).....
                              Sometimes, despite my speciality in gallows humour, I just need to sound off....

So I guess I'll just hit the bottle again.
                              Doesn't some kind of Religious Festival Take place at this time of year?
                              So there's an excuse....

(I was going to grumble about the temporary postwoman always leaving my front gate open, but in the circs I'll keep that to myself and be grateful for my good health)
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• RichardB
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2021

That's awful Jayne, I hope it gets sorted out soon. A friend of mine in London was supposed to go in for a heart operation (pacemaker installation) on 15 December and was told by phone on that morning that it had to be moved to some time in January.

I'm supposedly arriving in the old country on Sunday for a couple of weeks, not having seen family for two years, during which time my mother departed this world (I "attended" her funeral in love-streamed form); I can't say I'm looking forward to the trip that much but I suppose that doesn't really count as a grumble.

Comment

Working...
                                X