Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Two guys with skip lorry just dumped a big load of building detritus in our back driveway - b*stards! The what-to-do factor always clicks in too quickly for effective action: upstairs shouted the moment they heard something; their CCTV captured something and the wife got a phone camera shot of the back of vehicle leaving the driveway, which unfortunately had its flap down probably obscuring the number plate. It had disappeared completely in the few secs it took me to dash to the nearby junction - which now I realise is the last sort of thing I should be doing with my heart condition - but one still kicks oneself for not responding faster. Not quite clear what to do - would this constitute a 999 situation? To find the related council report category online takes an age. No addresses or paperwork on the materials this time.

Upstairs have now rung the council who say they will collect within 24 hours. Charles, the resident directly above me, expresses amazement that such an act would even be contemplated in broad daylight - I opined that it would be a minor consideration for anyone intent on stabbing a teenager in a busy high street in broad daylight. A neighbourhood watch website reports this has been happening all over the Crystal Palace district.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Sorry to hear this, SA.

The other day walking back from work along the industrial estate I saw a police car flashing its lights and wondered what was up, then I saw a swan - and it became evident that that was what the police were for!

My own bit of grumble news is that yesterday I got sacked. I was reported by a member of staff for not mopping the toilet floors adequately - apparently there was a stain thereon which my inadequate mopping failed to remove. No warning about this beforehand. I am gutted because I had made plans for saving money and although I have saved a bit, it is still very irritating. I think I know that it must have been the boss of the factory (not my boss, you understand) who reported me. The utter cretin. Oh well, more guitar etc. in the mean time...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Sorry to hear this, SA.

The other day walking back from work along the industrial estate I saw a police car flashing its lights and wondered what was up, then I saw a swan - and it became evident that that was what the police were for!

My own bit of grumble news is that yesterday I got sacked. I was reported by a member of staff for not mopping the toilet floors adequately - apparently there was a stain thereon which my inadequate mopping failed to remove. No warning about this beforehand. I am gutted because I had made plans for saving money and although I have saved a bit, it is still very irritating. I think I know that it must have been the boss of the factory (not my boss, you understand) who reported me. The utter cretin. Oh well, more guitar etc. in the mean time...
        Probably a common story - the incumbent cleaner being blamed for something that had probably been there for a long time before it being judged your responsibility, JK, but no means of ascertaining culpability or any wish for such by the employers. No chance of any redress, I take it?

Comment

• Mario
          • Aug 2020

My own bit of grumble news is that yesterday I got sacked.
          Dear Joseph,

You and I have not corresponded, well, maybe tangentially but not directly.

I am deeply saddened to hear this.

Not being particularly bright like some of you eggheads, and never having been to university, never studied Latin, for me some phrase about “not letting them grind you down” springs to mind.

Keep smiling Joe, strum those strings, stay safe and be happy.

Best wishes,

Mario

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Sorry to hear this, SA.

My heart goes out, JK.... I've had a wretched Covid physically and financially...... I know the obstacles the Benefits System (i.e "cruel and unusual punishment") puts in your way....
            Look after yourself. Play some Baroque music, that often soothes the troubled soul.....(​playing now..... Bruggen in JSB's B Minor Mass....)...
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-07-21, 15:01.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Thank you for the replies. They mean a lot.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              No chance of any redress, I take it?
              Well, I think one of the Tory governments of the past 11 years made it expensive to take someone to court for unfair dismissal, I think? Not sure it would have applied to me in any case, having only been there for two months...

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

Sorry to hear this, SA.

I too am very sorry to hear this. its dreadful that employers can dismiss people so easily, and for so little. As others have said, look after yourself, play your guitar and listen to some wonderful music.

I hope that you find another job quickly (and hopefully with a better and more responsible employer!)
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                  I too am very sorry to hear this. its dreadful that employers can dismiss people so easily, and for so little. As others have said, look after yourself, play your guitar and listen to some wonderful music.

I hope that you find another job quickly (and hopefully with a better and more responsible employer!)
                  Thank you. It wasn't my employer though - I wasn't employed by the company whose factory I worked in. It's just that someone who worked in the factory complained about me to my employer (a separate cleaning business) who I guess were left with no other option.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Thank you. It wasn't my employer though - I wasn't employed by the company whose factory I worked in. It's just that someone who worked in the factory complained about me to my employer (a separate cleaning business) who I guess were left with no other option.
                    Bad luck, JK. A pity though that your employer wasn't prepared to defend an employee or even to re-deploy elsewhere. However, having been 'let go' more than once by various employers during my working life, I quickly learnt never to bother with thoughts of unfair dismissal, no matter how badly the employer behaved, but, in order to preserve self-confidence move rapidly on and focus on the future. I had no interest in working for an employer who showed no interest in me.

Many years ago, I worked for an outfit run by cretins who nevertheless paid well over the odds. For some unaccountable reason, my immediate manager took against me from the first day and made my life a misery. Come the inevitable day of the parting of the ways, I told the company boss that with the way they behaved they'd go bust in 6 months. I was well situated in another job when I heard the news that they'd gone bust - 6 months and two days later!

18 months ago, I retired from that last job after 30 years! You never know what good fortune awaits round that next corner. Stay optimistic that it will happen to you too.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Bad luck, JK. A pity though that your employer wasn't prepared to defend an employee or even to re-deploy elsewhere. However, having been 'let go' more than once by various employers during my working life, I quickly learnt never to bother with thoughts of unfair dismissal, no matter how badly the employer behaved, but, in order to preserve self-confidence move rapidly on and focus on the future. I had no interest in working for an employer who showed no interest in me.

Many years ago, I worked for an outfit run by cretins who nevertheless paid well over the odds. For some unaccountable reason, my immediate manager took against me from the first day and made my life a misery. Come the inevitable day of the parting of the ways, I told the company boss that with the way they behaved they'd go bust in 6 months. I was well situated in another job when I heard the news that they'd gone bust - 6 months and two days later!

18 months ago, I retired from that last job after 30 years! You never know what good fortune awaits round that next corner. Stay optimistic that it will happen to you too.

Thanks.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

Very very rotten JK....we have all read your posts and know what a fine, intelligent fellow you are with good taste and a broad open mind. Keep on looking for something new [I'm sure you will]....obviously transport and travel come into the equation too.....what a bummer JK....
                        bong ching

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                          Very very rotten JK....we have all read your posts and know what a fine, intelligent fellow you are with good taste and a broad open mind. Keep on looking for something new [I'm sure you will]....obviously transport and travel come into the equation too.....what a bummer JK....
                          Thank you. Yes, I will look for work (and resume my volunteering on Thursdays at the library). It is a bummer though cos the job I had was about a twenty-three minute walk away - that is to say, pretty ideal sort of distance away. I don't like the idea of having to use a bus to get to a place (let alone a train) since I like to integrate exercise into my work schedule (of course, in the absence of work, I go for my daily walk anyway).

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Thank you. Yes, I will look for work (and resume my volunteering on Thursdays at the library). It is a bummer though cos the job I had was about a twenty-three minute walk away - that is to say, pretty ideal sort of distance away. I don't like the idea of having to use a bus to get to a place (let alone a train) since I like to integrate exercise into my work schedule (of course, in the absence of work, I go for my daily walk anyway).
                            Really sorry to hear this news, JK. What nonsense.

Hope you can find something else suitable shortly.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Very sad to hear this Joseph K …… let’s hope this cloud has a, swift, silver lining ……

Comment

• Edgy 2
                                • Jan 2019

What bad luck JK.
                                I'm now happily retired but have worked for and with some *******s over the years so I have sympathy.
                                Stay positive and hopefully something will turn up very soon
                                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Working...
                                X