X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    ....having put away my scarves, gloves, calf length socks and woolies thurs last week and replaced them with my shorts ,sandals, Hawaiian shirts and bikini tops....I feel that it is an afront that the universe plays a cruel trick while giving us cloudless blue skies....
    Perhaps the universe enjoys the sight of goose pimples!

We've had the first snow showers here - nothing much, but odd one might think when shade temperatures were around the 4-5 degree celsius mark, until one sees widespread reports of very low dewpoints at ground levels - an indication of extremely dry air, in which snow can fall to ground levels without melting more easily than otherwise, as we saw earlier this year with rain falling at 2 C. I've observed snow falling at temps as high as 8 C in April and May, though it usually takes a really heavy downpour for that to happen, in turn needing big cumulonimbus clouds.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Perhaps the universe enjoys the sight of goose pimples!

We've had the first snow showers here - nothing much, but odd one might think when shade temperatures were around the 4-5 degree celsius mark, until one sees widespread reports of very low dewpoints at ground levels - an indication of extremely dry air, in which snow can fall to ground levels without melting more easily than otherwise, as we saw earlier this year with rain falling at 2 C. I've observed snow falling at temps as high as 8 C in April and May, though it usually takes a really heavy downpour for that to happen, in turn needing big cumulonimbus clouds.
      I still remember an August day in the late 70s travelling along the Ermine Way between Cirencester and Cheltenham. It was a lovely sunny warm day but we could see a very large black cloud some way ahead so decided to stop and put up the hood on our little car. Just as well because a few minutes later we were engulfed in a snow storm, with the wipers going like the clappers to clear the screen. The expressions on the faces of those coming towards us were comical as we emerged with a snow blanket on the bonnet. Incredibly brief but never forgotten.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        I still remember an August day in the late 70s travelling along the Ermine Way between Cirencester and Cheltenham. It was a lovely sunny warm day but we could see a very large black cloud some way ahead so decided to stop and put up the hood on our little car. Just as well because a few minutes later we were engulfed in a snow storm, with the wipers going like the clappers to clear the screen. The expressions on the faces of those coming towards us were comical as we emerged with a snow blanket on the bonnet. Incredibly brief but never forgotten.
        Although I was already a keen weather student back then, and living in the West Country, I don't remember that occasion at all!

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Although I was already a keen weather student back then, and living in the West Country, I don't remember that occasion at all!
          I don't think it even got into the local paper. It was such a brief episode, and pre cameraphones and social media the chances of recording it were minimal - I didn't have my camera with me much to my annoyance, although stopping on that stretch of road is not(or was not then) advisable. The snow didn't settle on the ground as it was warm and I imagine the cloud responsible quickly became the isolated shortlived heavy downpour it should have been in the first place.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            I don't think it even got into the local paper. It was such a brief episode, and pre cameraphones and social media the chances of recording it were minimal - I didn't have my camera with me much to my annoyance, although stopping on that stretch of road is not(or was not then) advisable. The snow didn't settle on the ground as it was warm and I imagine the cloud responsible quickly became the isolated shortlived heavy downpour it should have been in the first place.
            It is a surprise when that happens. Today the weather up here in the frozen north has alternated between sunshine, snow and other precipitation with perhaps a 15 minute period between changes. I remember years ago on a trip to Spain somewhere near Vitoria - when I think it couldn't actually have been very cold - that we suddenly experienced a hail storm. The balls which rained down were pretty big, as I recall. That lasted maybe 5-10 minutes and brought traffic to a halt.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              It is a surprise when that happens. Today the weather up here in the frozen north has alternated between sunshine, snow and other precipitation with perhaps a 15 minute period between changes. I remember years ago on a trip to Spain somewhere near Vitoria - when I think it couldn't actually have been very cold - that we suddenly experienced a hail storm. The balls which rained down were pretty big, as I recall. That lasted maybe 5-10 minutes and brought traffic to a halt.
              Hail, can of course, be experienced at any time of year, and in any part of the world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Just received the 'Annual Tariff Change' letter from our district heat supplier.

Utility charge increasing from 5.800 p/kWh to 6.649 p/kWh (an increase of 14.64%)
                Dwelling charge increasing from £410.97 to £417.46 (an increase of 1.58%)
                (The dwelling charge is effectively the standing charge, and it covers an annual service/call-out etc; the utility charge covers hot water and heating.)

Not happy! The system is not very efficient, so I hope that some improvements have been insisted on as part of this agreement.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Just received the 'Annual Tariff Change' letter from our district heat supplier.

Utility charge increasing from 5.800 p/kWh to 6.649 p/kWh (an increase of 14.64%)
                  (The dwelling charge is effectively the standing charge, and it covers an annual service/call-out etc; the utility charge covers hot water and heating.)

Not happy! The system is not very efficient, so I hope that some improvements have been insisted on as part of this agreement.
                  The Police charge in Wiltshire rates went up 7% this year.
                  It's expensive to have 2 police officers in a car the junctions at Porton and Countess Road, I guess.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

District/community heating is something our village is currently considering and other people's experience is very interesting. Any chance you could PM me with some details of the system you use?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      District/community heating is something our village is currently considering and other people's experience is very interesting. Any chance you could PM me with some details of the system you use?
                      Will do!

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Interesting that you have such a system, though it sounds as though you "ain't happy" with it.

I wonder how many communities in the UK have access to such district heating. Does it run on burnt refuse, and do the houses have to be close to the source - such as an incinerator?

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Ants in the kitchen - which must be down to the unusually cold spring we're having.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Ants in the kitchen - which must be down to the unusually cold spring we're having.
                            I would have to wonder about that. Not that I have or have ever had a problem with ants in my kitchen, which would have to make it up to the first floor here, although I do get woodlice, and raised the matter early on in the existence of the forum, only to be re-assured that they did not represent any health problem. The main one for me looks like it could be the perennial one of clothes moths, and the not inconsiderable costs of sprays for keeping them in check.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

I would have to wonder about that. Not that I have or have ever had a problem with ants in my kitchen, which would have to make it up to the first floor here, although I do get woodlice, and raised the matter early on in the existence of the forum, only to be re-assured that they did not represent any health problem. The main one for me looks like it could be the perennial one of clothes moths, and the not inconsiderable costs of sprays for keeping them in check.

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                This is usually a summer problem here. What you need is Ant Stop Bait Station https://www.wilko.com/ant-stop-bait-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can get it in most supermarkets, Wilko and B&Q. Trust me, this stuff works!
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X