Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Stupidity today. Was asked to make a template for sticky labels, bought from Staples. Code is STAP21.

Thinks - there must be a tool which knows about STAP21?

Try using Open Office. Look up how to make labels - can it be done?

Yes - use Avery codes - there are templates.

Now .... what is the Avery code for STAP21.

Can't find it easily - why isn't there just a table? What's the point of having codes if they don't integrate with software?

Look for templates on computer 1 - (the one I'm using now) - for Open Office. Totally useless search, even within Open Office.
    Doesn't even seem to know what a label is!
    Fancy search feature shows lots of pictures, but nothing useful - usual triumph of prettiness over usefulness.

Try using Pages - that doesn't even seem to know about anything so useful, pretty or otherwise.

So - retreat to another computer, and search for an Avery code based on 31.8mm x 63.5 mm.

Ah found it - J8160-25. What's more if J8160 is put into Open Office it seems to work.

Return to first computer. Still no joy.

Back to laptop - Ah - brainwave - make up a file based on the found template using code J8160 - and mail it across to the other machine.

Return to machine connected to printer, open the mail.

Yes - hurrah - the file works, and now labels for marmalade jars have been designed and printed.

This only took 20 minutes of my time - but it could have taken only a couple of minutes if all the software and codes were compatible.

Utterly stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Dave2002; 26-01-21, 22:52.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Stupidity today. Was asked to make a template for sticky labels, bought from Staples. Code is STAP21.

Thinks - there must be a tool which knows about STAP21?

Try using Open Office. Look up how to make labels - can it be done?

Yes - use Avery codes - there are templates.

Now .... what is the Avery code for STAP21.

Can't find it easily - why isn't there just a table? What's the point of having codes if they don't integrate with software.

Look for templates on computer 1 - (the one I'm using now) - for Open Office. Totally useless search, even within Open Office.
      Doesn't even seem to know what a label is!
      Fancy search feature shows lots of pictures, but nothing useful - usual trumph of prettiness over usefulness.

Try using Pages - that doesn't even seem to know about anything so useful, pretty or otherwise.

So - retreat to another computer, and search for an Avery code based on 31.8mm x 63.5 mm.

Ah found it - J8160-25. What's more if J8160 is put into Open Office it seems to work.

Return to first computer. Still no joy.

Back to laptop - Ah - brainwave - make up a file based on the found template using code J8160 - and mail it across to the other machine.

Return to machine connected to printer, open the mail.

Yes - hurrah - the file works, and now labels for marmalade jars have been designed and printed.

This only took 20 minutes of my time - but it could have taken only a couple of minutes if all the software and codes were compatible.

Utterly stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!
      How’s the marmalade?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        How’s the marmalade?
        Marmalade is OK - though didn't set as well as we'd have liked. Maybe we used the "wrong" whisky in it.
        We've still got some of the batch from last year though. If we can get more Seville oranges "we" (as in mrs d) might have another go at a batch. The bread - courtesy of the bread machine has turned out well, however.

I may try another loaf tonight.

Comment

• LezLee
          • Apr 2019

I get updates from Scotrail re. delays, etc. This is the latest:

'Disruption has been reported to services between Polmont and Edinburgh.
          The following services are no longer expected to be disrupted by a person being hit by a train:..

I find this completely disrespectful and very upsetting, not just to the driver, relatives and friends but to the passengers (there's an announcement on the train, apologising)
          Unbelievably crass and unthinkable. I've twice been on a train when this happened.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LezLee View Post

The following services are no longer expected to be disrupted by a person being hit by a train:..

I find this completely disrespectful and very upsetting, not just to the driver, relatives and friends but to the passengers (there's an announcement on the train, apologising)
            Unbelievably crass and unthinkable. I've twice been on a train when this happened.
            Why don't they just say'earlier incident'? Seems odd as there is usually considerable reluctance to be specific about a human casualty in public announcements, even when, as happened on one journey I made, it is obvious what has happened.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              The bread - courtesy of the bread machine has turned out well, however.

I may try another loaf tonight.
              Loafers’ corner established as requested: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...e-Bread-Thread
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post

Maybe they were referring to the possibility of any person being hit by a train in the light of measures taken - otherwise the wording is very clumsy, in any case.

Comment

• LezLee
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Maybe they were referring to the possibility of any person being hit by a train in the light of measures taken - otherwise the wording is very clumsy, in any case.
                  My niece works for a rail company and they are not allowed to say what has happened. As it is, it gives equal seriousness to a signal failure.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

I've just spent 20 minutes waiting for my call to Halifax. For the 2nd time, my contactless card was declined in my local co-op.

Apparently the reason is that I need to use the card and enter my PIN from time to time. After a certain number of contactless transactions it will decline.

Neither Halifax, the card payment terminal, nor the Co-Op staff gave me that information - but now I know! Ask to repeat the payment, and slide the card in, and use the PIN number........ (and immediately sanitize the finger used.....).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      I've just spent 20 minutes waiting for my call to Halifax. For the 2nd time, my contactless card was declined in my local co-op.

Apparently the reason is that I need to use the card and enter my PIN from time to time. After a certain number of contactless transactions it will decline.

Neither Halifax, the card payment terminal, nor the Co-Op staff gave me that information - but now I know! Ask to repeat the payment, and slide the card in, and use the PIN number........ (and immediately sanitize the finger used.....).
                      Having seen it mentioned sotto voce at the end of a TV ad that Tescos only accept spending up to £45 on contactless transactions, I asked a manager at one of their branches yesterday, and he said this did only apply to contactless. It seems such a missed opportunity on behalf of the forgetful: I can't think why this should be.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

Happened to me in my local Coop too, but they were aware of the reason, though it's quite disconcerting when it happens.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Having seen it mentioned sotto voce at the end of a TV ad that Tescos only accept spending up to £45 on contactless transactions, I asked a manager at one of their branches yesterday, and he said this did only apply to contactless. It seems such a missed opportunity on behalf of the forgetful: I can't think why this should be.
                          It’s not Tesco’s decision. Im fairly sure the £45 limit is set by the banks. I’ve had cards not accepted on sums under £45 but was told by the cashier it was the machine and said use my pin - no problem,

Comment

• Frances_iom
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            Happened to me in my local Coop too, but they were aware of the reason, though it's quite disconcerting when it happens.
                            I'm surprised that you have only just encountered it - seems to be standard operating procedure with the banks - if you have presented card many time at the same place then quite a long gap between rejection and need to enter PIN - trying the card at a new place quite likely you will be rejected in the first few times - likewise if the amount is somewhat out of kilter with your usual spend - just an extension of the automated 'reasonableness' checks on usage

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini
                              In fact it's the Financial Conduct Authority that sets the limit - which is likely to soon change to £100

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55826118
                              Indeed, but many stores put up notices implying that it is they who have upped the limit.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

I found it disconcerting the first time my card wasn't accepted in contactless mode, not least as I still wasn't really used to using my card that way, having always managed to avoid contactless up till then, but the checkout person explained that it didn't mean there was anything wrong, it just happens automatically after a certain number of transactions, and as I've had it at 3 different shops now it isn't linked to number of transactions at a given shop. If you think about it it does make sense since someone could pick up your card and use it many times before the loss was noticed so an occasional check that it's still in your possession isn't a bad idea. There can be a lag between presenting the card and it refusing and wanting the PIN - I had packed my shopping and was about to move away when the checkout girl said it needed to be presented again.
                                The transaction limit seemed to go up quite quickly when infection control meant more contactless payments were being made and I guess that another increase is to accommodate use for supermarket shopping.

Comment

Working...
                                X