X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    So just remember to check the whole chain - plug, socket and only then the fuse board/consumer unit etc.... unless your whole house is in darkness of course...
    There is a cheap gizmo that eases this - looks like a plug top with 3 neon lights - readily available from Electrical distributors + probably various places such as Toolstation for about £10 or less - will check socket has power, is earthed + is wired correctly.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      I like your ingenuity Bryn!
      Yes but maybe a bit over the top just for a doorbell!

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
        There is a cheap gizmo that eases this - looks like a plug top with 3 neon lights - readily available from Electrical distributors + probably various places such as Toolstation for about £10 or less - will check socket has power, is earthed + is wired correctly.
        Indeed - see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automatic-E...41707168&psc=1

or https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms686...9&gclsrc=3p.ds

or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Socket-Te...-/293305356472

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Yes but maybe a bit over the top just for a doorbell!
          It is "just a doorbell". Amazon ASIN: B07YYCJGRS . The Beethoven is just one of many 'chimes' available to choose from.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Circuits tripped again early this morning. Still no resolution.

Can wires trailed on the floor cause a problem? I noticed a couple feeding some computers which had been left connected overnight. The computers were off, but maybe the wiring being in contact with the floor allows an earth leakage current to pass.

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Can wires trailed on the floor cause a problem? I noticed a couple feeding some computers which had been left connected overnight. The computers were off, but maybe the wiring being in contact with the floor allows an earth leakage current to pass.
              Obvious check the leads for physical damage (eg caused by being caught under a chair leg) or caught by a sharp edge that has cut thru the insulation. A common cause of tripping RCBs is the combined leakage of several devices especially older equipment that include noise filters that include a small capacitance to earth (possibly older computers).
              The more exotic failures to look for include is the circuit passing thru an area where vermin can get to - mice + their larger relatives like to test their teeth on modern wiring and have been known to strip them to the bare copper - some even get into consumer unit where a bite in the 'right' place can result in a mouse shaped lump of burnt flesh

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Obvious check the leads for physical damage (eg caused by being caught under a chair leg) or caught by a sharp edge that has cut thru the insulation. A common cause of tripping RCBs is the combined leakage of several devices especially older equipment that include noise filters that include a small capacitance to earth (possibly older computers).
                I am suspecting a combination effect.

Also, what about those surge protector devices which double up as extension points - do they cause problems?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Channel 4 has just emailed me to recommend NAKED ATTRACTION!!!!!

This is after ***innocently*** uploading something from their version of the iplayer a week ago.

Never having pre-checked for anything coming on late on CH4 I would not have known about the existence of this programme, were it not for watching Gogglebox!

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Channel 4 has just emailed me to recommend NAKED ATTRACTION!!!!!

This is after ***innocently*** uploading something from their version of the iplayer a week ago.

Never having pre-checked for anything coming on late on CH4 I would not have known about the existence of this programme, were it not for watching Gogglebox!
                    Don't tell your mother.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

An irritation more than a grumble.

Record companies seem not to have standardised which side of a cardboard CD sleeve (in multi-CD box sets) is the open one.
                      I often find myself wondering if it's the top or the right-hand side that I need to shake the CD out through.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        An irritation more than a grumble.

Record companies seem not to have standardised which side of a cardboard CD sleeve (in multi-CD box sets) is the open one.
                        I often find myself wondering if it's the top or the right-hand side that I need to shake the CD out through.
                        ...and BIS gatefold sleeves are slightly larger than jewel cases.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

The packaging, not the content.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

The packaging, not the content.
                            Indeed!
                            Birtwistle's Harrison's Clocks was in something like that.

Last edited by Pulcinella; 20-01-21, 12:15. Reason: Discogs link added.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Update on wiring - msgs 176, 180 and earlier. A new consumer unit was put in before Christmas replacing two separate units, and I think we now have an up to date internal supply system - conforming to the latest standards. This appears to have fixed most of the problems - at least for the time being.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Hardly in the Steve Bruce class IMVVHO cloughers .........

Comment

Working...
                                X