X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

What are they doing to Any Questions?!

I am getting very close to giving up on Any Questions - a programme to which I have devoted every available Saturday for half a century. The problem for me is the new host, Chris Mason, who has presumably been appointed as the BBC's nod to regionality, being a straight-speaking Northener, and all that.

Chris Mason replaced Jonathan Dimbleby, who - like his brother on the BBC's sister telly programme - had become increasingly irritating with his interventions, which were frequently ponderously pedantic, and to all intents aimed at helping the opposing point of view not to omit some observation or criticism he considered indispensable, or that Joe Public should be made to see as important, when he should have just stuck to chairing and leaving it to panel members to defend their own positions. But Mason has gone much further and turned this tendency into what has effectively become conversation, driven as he appears to be to bring in things that are obviously bothering him or his boss, regardless of whether or not it has the listener. And not only this: he fires off his interjections well before the panellist has had any chance of outlining his or her position, often halfway through his or her second sentence. Today's belligerent go's on at least two occasions at Tory minister Amanda Milling, for whom I hold no brief, and who, following a second attempt to elicit clarity was clearly not going to give any direct answer to his question, repeatedly left the other contributers on-line hanging while needless petty insistence on his part on getting his reward used up valuable discussion time. This had me literally screaming at the radio "Get on with the ******* programme for god's sake!!!"

Politicians refusing to give straight answers is old hat - there cannot be anyone who is not by now in the know; Mason should leave it to the intelligence of the listener to deduce that the respondent is playing evasive; he has an attitude problem totally unsuited to chairing reputable discussion on matters of vital importance, and should either get off his high horse or be replaced.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I am getting very close to giving up on Any Questions - a programme to which I have devoted every available Saturday for half a century. The problem for me is the new host, Chris Mason, who has presumably been appointed as the BBC's nod to regionality, being a straight-speaking Northener, and all that.

Chris Mason replaced Jonathan Dimbleby, who - like his brother on the BBC's sister telly programme - had become increasingly irritating with his interventions, which were frequently ponderously pedantic, and to all intents aimed at helping the opposing point of view not to omit some observation or criticism he considered indispensable, or that Joe Public should be made to see as important, when he should have just stuck to chairing and leaving it to panel members to defend their own positions. But Mason has gone much further and turned this tendency into what has effectively become conversation, driven as he appears to be to bring in things that are obviously bothering him or his boss, regardless of whether or not it has the listener. And not only this: he fires off his interjections well before the panellist has had any chance of outlining his or her position, often halfway through his or her second sentence. Today's belligerent go's on at least two occasions at Tory minister Amanda Milling, for whom I hold no brief, and who, following a second attempt to elicit clarity was clearly not going to give any direct answer to his question, repeatedly left the other contributers on-line hanging while needless petty insistence on his part on getting his reward used up valuable discussion time. This had me literally screaming at the radio "Get on with the ******* programme for god's sake!!!"

Politicians refusing to give straight answers is old hat - there cannot be anyone who is not by now in the know; Mason should leave it to the intelligence of the listener to deduce that the respondent is playing evasive; he has an attitude problem totally unsuited to chairing reputable discussion on matters of vital importance, and should either get off his high horse or be replaced.
      ....only one word needed here....pants

I asK you to do yourself a big favour S_A....stop listening to it....a diminished BBC Product....I gave up during Brexit....and found something better to do....
      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        ....only one word needed here....pants

I asK you to do yourself a big favour S_A....stop listening to it....a diminished BBC Product....I gave up during Brexit....and found something better to do....
        I dare say you're right: I only listen to find out what the public is being fobbed off with by the so-called impartial BBC. The political Right will never be satisfied, howevermuch support hosts and presenters give its representatives and spokespersons, because their collective mindset is and has always been deranged and overfed. They gorge on self-deception and want much more than mere confirmation of their self-righteous jaundiced views. This is becoming more and more self-evident to any one with a shed of objectivity, or a Martian. The only reason I turn onto these programmes is a mixture of hope they might be redeemed by bringing in someone genuinely objective and trying to figure what makes people tick these days. I only listen to the news lest I miss some new instruction or bit of information without which I will be even further diminished in my quest to be an informed and helpful citizen.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

....then again ....I'm finding the Guardian quite annoying too these days....
          bong ching

Comment

• Vox Humana
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I couldn't agree more. Hasn't the BBC got anyone of equivalent stature to Dimplebum? Apparently not. Or, if they have, they've been quietly ignored in the headlong race to the bottom with the rest of the corporation in the quest to discover the lowest possible common denominator with which to attempt to interest those members of society who have no interest whatsoever in being interested.

Comment

• muzzer
              • Nov 2013

Chris Mason made his name on the podcast Brexitcast which started on 5 Live before crossing over and getting full backing with heavyweights such as Katya Adler (who is superb imo). He’s rode his luck imho very skilfully, but I find him intensely annoying. His brand of cheeky chappy comedy northerner is a parody similar to Elizabeth Alker’s. I’m not sure what’s the bigger cliche, my inbuilt southerner bias against the type or the fact the BBC still seems only to promote that type. Unless that’s what you’re all like ‘up there’, .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Well I'm a big fan of Chris Mason on AnyQ, if only because he always asks the awkward questions as the politicians try to veil everything in standard issue blandishment and platitude and evasion....and he does so relentlessly, repeatedly. Playing the Lear Fool, very cleverly, to all our pompous rulers. I hope he goes on interrupting them all he likes.
                Quite enjoy him as a Political Reporter too.
                I like the lighter touch in dark days, and I really prefer this approach to old-BBC gravitas now. Goodbye to all That!
                Calling him a "cheeky chappy comedy northerner" is utterly superficial and unfair, and shows its own tiresome clichéd prejudices - as muzzer admits. Sounds like you hear the voice, the lighter tone, but ignore what its actually saying....

Now Gods, stand up for Northerners!

(But I love Anita Anand on AnyA even more - wonderfully deft, sensitive, emotionally literate and empathic touch recently dealing with some very distressed people phoning in... going out live, this is compelling Radio. It should be an hour every week.)
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 04-10-20, 02:19.

Comment

• Braunschlag
                  • Jul 2017

I agree Jayne, Chris Mason is a breath of proper northern fresh air, I’ll not hear owt against t’lad (I should point out that I taught at his grammar school in Skipton and, although I didn’t teach Chris himself I did teach his younger brother James, a small lad who could run up and down any fell quicker than I could manage an escalator). Both are fantastic lads, lay off them.
                  And, whilst I’m at it I was in the same music degree class as Elizabeth Alker’s dad so it’s time to knock that one into touch as well!
                  It might be grim up the t’north but the pies are better!
                  Grumble nearly over - news item last night about the Anglesey nuclear plants. - southern sounding chap couldn’t get the idea of the word ‘new clear’ - when will it all end.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

I remember comperes back to Freddie Grisewood and David Jacobs who made the surprising move across from Juke Box Jury and Top of the Pops.
                    Chis Mason does a good job.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
                      And, whilst I’m at it I was in the same music degree class as Elizabeth Alker’s dad so it’s time to knock that one into touch as well! ............
                      No objection to Chris Mason who was magnificent in showing up the Tory talking head (programmed with Dom speak) on Any Questions last night.

But Elizabeth Alker...... wrong person wrong place. Could we try her dad on the weekend (usually Saturday) Breakfast programme, do you think?

Comment

• Braunschlag
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                        No objection to Chris Mason who was magnificent in showing up the Tory talking head (programmed with Dom speak) on Any Questions last night.

But Elizabeth Alker...... wrong person wrong place. Could we try her dad on the weekend (usually Saturday) Breakfast programme, do you think?
                        I like that suggestion, he has quite a broad Rochdale accent though, more bloody northerners!

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

[QUOTE=Cockney Sparrow;810874]No objection to Chris Mason who was magnificent in showing up the Tory talking head (programmed with Dom speak) on Any Questions last night.

Absolutely.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Now Gods, stand up for Northerners!
                            This is fine up to a point but there’s a guy who insists on pronouncing ‘one’ as ‘won’. Yesterday he was reading out football results where the distinction between the two is important.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              This is fine up to a point but there’s a guy who insists on pronouncing ‘one’ as ‘won’. Yesterday he was reading out football results where the distinction between the two is important.
                              Yeah but no but yeah but

I and millions more have no trouble hearing that very distinction. I'd love to hear footie results read in a rich, warm Geordie. My favourite lilt of all despite the 3 or 4 varieties of Scouse, the estuary Northerners or the flattened out Lancastrians, I hear most of the time.

Its all as Hindemith once said in a different context, "Human Music"...

Comment

• Braunschlag
                                • Jul 2017

Way aye Jayne!
                                I used to have to choose hymns for assembly at school when the fear of the lord was the getting of wisdom....
                                Our RE teacher had the most wonderful Bacup burr and it was some time before he cottoned onto my choice - ‘Durrr Lurrd ‘nd Fuurther of mankind’, I loved hearing him just say it, he took it well!

Comment

Working...
                                X