• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

You need a toothpaste tube squeezer!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/toothpaste-...aste+squeezers
    Ooh, thanks for that, Pulcie . I wonder if a bulldog clip would also do - I have several of those. I also use clothes pegs for some things, but they don't really do for toothpaste squeeszing.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cria
      • Jul 2022

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

You need a toothpaste tube squeezer!]
      Only if your bathroom ceiling is white ...

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        ...the plastic ones unfold again and you have to start from the bottom again...
        I have successfully deployed an elastic band within the heart of the rolled-up end, then around the whole. I may become an Influencer.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cria View Post
          Only if your bathroom ceiling is white ...

I do find myself in agreement with french frank about plastic tubes - for toothpaste and some other formerly metal tubed products. I might take up some of the suggested solutions: it has been a very long time since I acquired any rubber bands - there are always enough to be found littering pavements around here; I expect any passers-by must pity me under their breath: poor old bloke - can't even afford rubber bands! I use them in place of bicycle clips, modern versions of which tend to slide down trouser legs.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

A somewhat drastic and occasionally messy method I use for plastic tubes like that is to cut across the non-cap end to gain access to the inside of the tube. Depending on how you cut it and whether the tube cooperates it can be possible to use the cut-off end as a makeshift cap.
            Don't know if it would work for toothpaste tubes as I've not bothered about the small quantity left behind, as I mostly brush without toothpaste.
            Something I didn't know, but have just found out when looking up if any toothpaste still comes in a metal tube is that although the situation is improving the recycling of the empty plastic tubes is a problem as they have a thin layer of aluminium in between layers of plastic.
            More info here https://www.which.co.uk/news/article...s-arxn68h3e2g0
            I have to say I am surprised at the image at the bottom of that article showing the tap running full tilt while adult supervised kiddies brush their teeth - someone(or several someones) at Which haven't got the saving water message!

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              A somewhat drastic and occasionally messy method I use for plastic tubes like that is to cut across the non-cap end to gain access to the inside of the tube. Depending on how you cut it and whether the tube cooperates it can be possible to use the cut-off end as a makeshift cap.
              Don't know if it would work for toothpaste tubes as I've not bothered about the small quantity left behind, as I mostly brush without toothpaste.
              Something I didn't know, but have just found out when looking up if any toothpaste still comes in a metal tube is that although the situation is improving the recycling of the empty plastic tubes is a problem as they have a thin layer of aluminium in between layers of plastic.
              More info here https://www.which.co.uk/news/article...s-arxn68h3e2g0
              I have to say I am surprised at the image at the bottom of that article showing the tap running full tilt while adult supervised kiddies brush their teeth - someone(or several someones) at Which haven't got the saving water message!
              The article I linked to said: don't cut the tubes.

The (expensive) apartment we rented in Barcelona over new year didn't have a plug for the washroom sink.
              When we mentioned this the following day, the reaction was one of bewilderment that if you wet shaved you cared about keeping a tap running.
              And this in a part of the world that really does have a water shortage!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                "Toothpaste tubes have typically been made from a mixture of plastic and metal, to provide flexibility and help them hold their shape when squeezed. This makes them durable - and it's easier to squeeze every last drop out - but it also makes them a nightmare to recycle."

My local council does collect them (what they do with them afterwards I don't know). I assume mine are all plastic because, durable they may be, but I don't manage to squeeze every last drop out until I've decided to give up and wash the tube by sluicing water into it. This softens the toothpaste and when I squeeze the paste out as much a possible, I waste abut 2" of the stuff

For cria's interest: my toothpaste is green .

And now my kitchen mixer tap's bust - the hot tap goes round and round with emitting any water.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

New grumble: Boiler (LPG) keeps tripping RCD......

...luckily we have some electric heaters and there is an immersion heater.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    New grumble: Boiler (LPG) keeps tripping RCD......

...luckily we have some electric heaters and there is an immersion heater.
                    RCD: Repetitive Compulsive Disorder?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

RCD: Repetitive Compulsive Disorder?

Edit: Or perhaps Persistent Complaining Disorder?

Just gotta post something on R3 forum!
                      Last edited by Old Grumpy; 21-01-24, 11:14. Reason: New TLA definition

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                        New grumble: Boiler (LPG) keeps tripping RCD.......
                        Sure it's LPG not LSD?

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

Electricity is a funny thing. 40 years ago I found my central heating timer kept switching itself off , then later on again. Both Gas and Electricity people looked at it but were flummoxed. Eventiually I found that the previous owner had wired in an additional socket for a toaster, and when the toaster was switched on it interfered with the CH timer.

I remembered this two years ago in a new house when we found our washing machine kept switching itself off, resuming some time later. We found the previous owners had made it share a socket with the fridge, which, when it switched itself on, interfered with the washing machine timer . Now they are on separate sockets it's solved.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            Electricity is a funny thing. 40 years ago I found my central heating timer kept switching itself off , then later on again. Both Gas and Electricity people looked at it but were flummoxed. Eventiually I found that the previous owner had wired in an additional socket for a toaster, and when the toaster was switched on it interfered with the CH timer.

I remembered this two years ago in a new house when we found our washing machine kept switching itself off, resuming some time later. We found the previous owners had made it share a socket with the fridge, which, when it switched itself on, interfered with the washing machine timer . Now they are on separate sockets it's solved.
                            Interesting. Previous owners used some sockets for devious extra wiring, but not CH, I think. Boiler engineer coming on Tuesday- mentioned something about a possible current leak to earth involving water contamination of a pump or similar (presumably anywhere where water and electricity are in close proximity).

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

That sounds complex. Hope it can be resolved.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                                That sounds complex. Hope it can be resolved.
                                But presumably reassuring(if inconvenient) to know the RCD is doing its job, if the issue is indeed water and leccy trying to get together.

Comment

Working...
                                X