X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

You can. I have. It’s got the computer code strip next to the stamp - as long as it has that, you’re fine
    Oh my mum cut off the codes , not knowing what they are for.

Actually,what ARE they for ?!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Oh my mum cut off the codes , not knowing what they are for.

Actually,what ARE they for ?!
      Making post office workers redundant?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Bar humbugs.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

If they are last year's Christmas stamps they will have a bar code strip attached. I've just used up all mine. As far as I know the only ones no longer valid are the stamps without bar codes.
          I believe that special stamps, even without bar codes, are still to be treated as valid. That is what is stated in the link provided at msg 1319.

What is now vague is whether the swap out scheme is still operational. There was a deadline, maybe more than one, but they were changed or removed following legal challenges.

What I am intrigued about are the new opportunities for exciting developments due to the introduction of the bar codes, perhaps in conjunction with a downloadable app. Has anyone any insights or experience of these?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

According to this there are approx (haven't added them up) the same no. of crocs in the world as there are cats in the UK (about 11m). The number of birds killed by cats in this country exceeds 55m every year. I doubt that the number of zebras killed by crocs worldwide is remotely comparable.

So if we consider the level of destruction I think crocs can be left out of the equation. In any case, Nature being red in tooth and claw, there are many predators that can kill crocodiles, whereas cats, in the UK, are protected by law and so are able to kill 55m birds every year.

Here is an article about those "furry little cuddly things" ... https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...oss-the-world/

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Here is an article about those "furry little cuddly things" ... https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...oss-the-world/

Exactly my point. Leave crocodiles out of it: "Few biological invaders, however, have wreaked as much ecological havoc as one of our most cuddly companions: cats.​"

The Guardian also had the story earlier in the week: 'Killer kitties: cats are eating 2,000 species, including hundreds that are at risk'. Humans beings adore their cats - and that's the problem.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

An idea probably devised by the same committee, focus group or whatever that recommended the installation of self-service check-outs in supermarkets.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

An idea probably devised by the same committee, focus group or whatever that recommended the installation of self-service check-outs in supermarkets.
                  Sadly, it's probably more to do with competition. Royal Mail no longer has the monopoly of delivering parcels and the post office has to compete with alternative letter carriers (and possibly fewer letters now). What I miss are those little machine where you fed in half a crown and got out twelve 2½ d stamps.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Service + Rutter.
                    Would there be an Xmas without both? ProbNo, but if only PleaseYes!
                    Growl...........................
                    Last edited by DracoM; 16-12-23, 13:59.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Service + Rutter.
                      Would there be an Xmas without both? ProbNo, but if only PleaseYes!
                      Growl...........................
                      I actually quite enjoyed it - but maybe I hadn't heard it all before.

There seems to be an emphasis on composers today - which is welcome.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Humans beings adore their cats - and that's the problem.

They may do, but I, for one, don't!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

They may do, but I, for one, don't!
                          Nor do I. But when it comes to pets, human beings are always the root problem, not the animals.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

Nor do I. But when it comes to pets, human beings are always the root problem, not the animals.
                            True

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Sadly, it's probably more to do with competition. Royal Mail no longer has the monopoly of delivering parcels and the post office has to compete with alternative letter carriers (and possibly fewer letters now). What I miss are those little machine where you fed in half a crown and got out twelve 2½ d stamps.
                              Royal Mail still has the expensive service obligations to fulfill as well - it has to deliver to all households and a certain number of times/days per week. It may have managed to reduce the number of deliveries(no second post) and is working on not doing weekend deliveries but that still leaves the issue of sparsely populated and/or difficult to reach places. It can't charge a premium for letter post to such places, nor hold on to items until there is a big enough number to make a delivery more economic.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Royal Mail still has the expensive service obligations to fulfill as well - it has to deliver to all households and a certain number of times/days per week. It may have managed to reduce the number of deliveries(no second post) and is working on not doing weekend deliveries but that still leaves the issue of sparsely populated and/or difficult to reach places. It can't charge a premium for letter post to such places, nor hold on to items until there is a big enough number to make a delivery more economic.
                                The PO managed it before - why not now??

Comment

Working...
                                X