X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
    No just another step to forcing an identity card onto the UK population - would also ease illegal immigration as "Your papers please "would soon be a common request at workplaces.
    It already is a common request. For at least ten years employers have had to ask to see proof of right to work in the Uk - usually a photocopy of the relevant passport page - before you can start work. It used to be one of my duties and you (or more likely the employing company) can be fined for not doing so.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      It already is a common request. For at least ten years employers have had to ask to see proof of right to work in the Uk - usually a photocopy of the relevant passport page - before you can start work. It used to be one of my duties and you (or more likely the employing company) can be fined for not doing so.
      It's necessary for renting property as well, although needless to say legal requirement doesn't always mean compliance in either case.
      I have no inherent objection to some form of ID card - when dealing with my mother's affairs as her attorney I got used to having my passport with me at all times, and was glad later to have the more convenient photo driving licence. My difficulty now is complete absence of trust in this government to either do the job properly or ensure that those needing to implement checks using such a card are adequately trained, resourced and monitored. Too many people with legal papers seem to find themselves being denied their rights already. Voter ID is throwing up some of the issues when there is something other than the stated function involved. As a side note on that I gather that the HoL attempts to widen the remit of suitable ID, to reduce the number of people potentially unable to vote, have not been successful.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
        I've seen that on car rental websites, and then turned up to collect the car to find they don't need this information after all. I have the feeling it applies in some countries but not others, but they keep the same information on their websites in all countries.
        I recall once hiring a van from a firm fortunately not too far from where I lived, and when I turned up to collect the vehicle I was refused as I didn't have all the checks. This was quite a while back, and when I pointed out that they had all the information - driving licence - including photo with address - and other data, they said that criminals had indeed managed to steal one or more of their vehicles using the kinds of documents I presented. On that occasion, as I remember I was able to drive back home and get the additional documentation, but really this kind of thing is a real pain. It would be worse if one arrived by public transport and had no easy way to get any additional documentation which might be sprung on one.

Sure - I appreciate that companies have to take reasonable steps to safeguard themselves against thieves and other criminals, but some of this may just be OTT and is a real aggravation.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Has anyone else tried to exchange stamps that are now no longer valid for the horrible new barcoded variety?
          Why this couldn't simply be done over the counter escapes me.
          Why does everything in the UK have to be so complicated?

Anyway, it's been over two weeks and nothing back yet.
          I've read tales from others about the stamps simply going astray.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Has anyone else tried to exchange stamps that are now no longer valid for the horrible new barcoded variety?

No more than I would expect from the privatised postal service.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

I've never had a passport and gave up my driving licence several times been required to produce one or the other since for things that have nothing to do with leaving or entering the country or driving a car. 22 years ago. One was a rail discount scheme where you had to prove you were over 55. It said no other proof of age would be accepted. Ironically, it was people who didn't drive and didn't leave the country who'd be more likely to use their scheme.

When we had the Working Families Tax Credit we had to set up a post office account for the money to be paid into. Again , only a passport or driving licence were acceptable proof of identity. I said I had neither and she said 'OK, we'll do it without identity'.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

No. I didn't know you had to. I'm still using up old first and second class stamps that I bought in sheets a while ago.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  No. I didn't know you had to. I'm still using up old first and second class stamps that I bought in sheets a while ago.
                  You need to use them by 31 July 2023.
                  (I wonder if that has changed; I though the date was yesterday, 31 January 2023.)

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

(I wonder if that has changed; I though the date was yesterday, 31 January 2023.)

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps
                    Thank you. That's very helpful. I have 3 first class and 6 second class ones to use, and 6 months to use them in.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Thank you. That's very helpful. I have 3 first class and 6 second class ones to use, and 6 months to use them in.
                      Yes: the best before date has changed.
                      The leaflet I have definitely says 31 January 2023.
                      Presumably they're overwhelmed in the swap department!

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

The Post Office counters aren't set up to check that the stamps for exchange are genuine, not forged or recycled. There is quite a market online for fake stamps apparently.
                        Experiences of the swap scheme vary, not surprisingly.

More info here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...deadline-july/
                        I found some old pictorial stamps at the back of my bureau and decided to use a 9p one as the image was appropriate for a birthday card; they are not subject to the cull. Making up the difference for 1st class postage took 5 of the new stamps and only just fitted on the envelope, going across the top and down each side, without covering the address; just as well I didn't use the smaller card I'd originally intended. I'll need to bear that in mind if I use any of the others.
                        Last edited by oddoneout; 01-02-23, 18:31. Reason: wrong link

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Yes: the best before date has changed.
                          The leaflet I have definitely says 31 January 2023.
                          Presumably they're overwhelmed in the swap department!
                          That might be a reason - certainly they appear to be sending out conflicting messages as the MSE link shows.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps
                            They describe it as a '6 month grace period', so the deadline was 31 January, but with a 6-month grace period until 31 July.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Direct Line annual renewal letter for car insurance prompted the usual friendly haggling with them.
                              Last year: £223.88
                              This year: £299.79

After a long wait on the phone, my partner (in whose name the car is registered) finally got through and managed to get a reduction to £249.27.

Prices change daily, the person he spoke to said, so it's always best to ring and see what the 'best offer' is, which might be better than what's quoted on the website or in any renewal letter.
                              Absolutely ludicrous!

PS: The replacement stamps turned up. Another absolutely ludicrous arrangement.
                              Last edited by Pulcinella; 10-02-23, 11:05. Reason: PS about stamps added

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Direct Line annual renewal letter for car insurance prompted the usual friendly haggling with them.
                                Last year: £223.88
                                This year: £299.79

After a long wait on the phone, my partner (in whose name the car is registered) finally got through and managed to get a reduction to £249.27.

Prices change daily, the person he spoke to said, so it's always best to ring and see what the 'best offer' is, which might be better than what's quoted on the website or in any renewal letter.
                                Absolutely ludicrous!

PS: The replacement stamps turned up. Another absolutely ludicrous arrangement.
                                Such renewal notices are generally for what the company hopes you will pay without query, not for what the cost should be. At least with a letter the increase is more obvious; those who go for the automatic DD renewal may not pick it up unless they actually check their statements and cross reference with the previous year's figure.

Comment

Working...
                                X