• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Count Boso View Post
    How did you stop the wine running out?

Hold the bottle vertically, finger over the top, and the vacuum underneath thereby created will counteract the effect of gravity on the liquid contained in the bottle, preventing its discharge.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Count Boso View Post
      How did you stop the wine running out?

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Well, I think after approximately 8:45 in the evening playing guitar becomes more difficult - largely owing to the eczema on my hands flaring up and encroaching on the inside of the fingers, so the dryness makes gripping the plectrum more difficult and generally makes my fingers crusty and unpleasant to move. Also feel fairly tired, I suppose, I'm just not too productive at this time of day...

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          Well, I think after approximately 8:45 in the evening playing guitar becomes more difficult - largely owing to the eczema on my hands flaring up and encroaching on the inside of the fingers, so the dryness makes gripping the plectrum more difficult and generally makes my fingers crusty and unpleasant to move. Also feel fairly tired, I suppose, I'm just not too productive at this time of day...
          Did you try coconut oil , Jk? Maybe not so easy to find right now.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Did you try coconut oil , Jk? Maybe not so easy to find right now.
            I have some cream, two types in fact, and I will maybe try a third which Jayne Lee Wilson suggested on another thread. Thing is, though, I also can't play guitar after putting it on lest I get the neck of my guitar smeared with eczema cream!

It, or they rather, are of limited efficacy, in any case, I've found...

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

It, or they rather, are of limited efficacy, in any case, I've found...
              Seems I spoke too soon - it's showing signs of clearing.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Seems I spoke too soon - it's showing signs of clearing.
                Good news.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

First week of 12 lockdown, completed last Thursday. Another 11 to go!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                    First week of 12 lockdown, completed last Thursday. Another 11 to go!
                    I guess it depends when you started. We've not been out since the first week of March. I don't think the counting starts from a personal arbitrary date, but rather depends on how much risk there is from the population around you, so your twelve weeks should be up on Thursday 11th June - according to http://www.easysurf.cc/ndate5.htm but I don't think you should take that as a hard and fast "whoopee, we can go out date". Whether you should go out would depend on the prevailing situation at the time.

The second or third week of June seem to be the currently suggested dates when most people might consider relaxing the lockdown. People who have been infected may feel happier going out earlier, though at present everyone who isn't classed as an essential worker should be observing lockdown conditions, both for their own safety, and for the safety and health of others, and in addition to reduce the risk of NHS overload.

My own particular concern is about dental treatment, as I ought to have some, but dentists are very likely to be exposed, and the equipment they use, and will continue to use, is likely to be contaminated.

The virus doesn't work according to a calendar - doesn't say to itself "I'm not going to infect anyone after 12th June". Nor does it alter its probability of issuing serious illness or death warrants after that date, so for people who may be more likely to have problems, they should be careful for quite a long while. Sorry to put it this way, but that's how I see it.

Let's try to kep cheerful and do things we like while we're in this state.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Managed to cut myself on my left-hand annular finger, just to the right of the tip.

There's a plaster there now: guitar playing compromised a bit.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Gary Lineker - a SPORTSMAN, and of all people - advertising SMITHS CRISPS on prime-time daytime TV!!!!!!!!!!

For god's sake - how come this is allowed?????

And now - this morning - at least TWO junk food ads in every ad break during the Jeremy Vine Show on 4.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Gary Lineker - a SPORTSMAN, and of all people - advertising SMITHS CRISPS on prime-time daytime TV!!!!!!!!!!

And now - this morning - at least TWO junk food ads in every ad break during the Jeremy Vine Show on 4.

He's been doing it for a good few years now.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

: steam:
                            Last edited by teamsaint; 03-09-20, 18:44.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              He's been doing it for a good few years now.
                              During which time, opinions about the effects of junk food on health, particularly of young people, has drastically changed, while he, apparently, hasn't, but manages to evade shaming.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                This.

Comment

Working...
                                X